Contribute
Register

Stuck at Black Screen After Booting Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem. the fix was to add AtiConfig=Kipunji

That's a fix specific to the GFX card that keithics is using. I don't think that will work with the 9800gt.

Ok so I did try both of these again, didn't work :( Sooooo looks like I'll try the editing the DSDT and see if that works. If not, I'll just do a full restore even though I don't want to.

Ok so in an easy explanation of how I could edit my DSDT how would you do this?

The link with all of the DSDT stuff is very Informative but there seems to be so much stuff I'm doing that doesn't seem to be useful to my situation. I really just want to know how to open up that DSDT I have on my desktop and go to the part with the Graphics code/edit and copy paste all I need to do. I'm sure it's as easy as that, I just need to know those steps. This is what I am currently reading. There has to be some steps I can just skip and go straight to inputing my info into this thing.

Download the updated tonymacx86-DSDT-FIXES.zip
Open DSDTSE. You can download the application from here.
Open tonymacx86-DSDT-FIXES.dsl in DSDTSE.
Locate 09 - DSDT Graphics - nVidia
Open your DSDT.aml in DSDTSE.
Type Device (PCI0) in the search box.
You'll see something like this:

If I understand correctly, DSDT editing requires that your graphics card work as intended with GraphicsEnabler=yes or native support first. You would need the info from ioregistryexplorer when it is working as intended to fill in the values in the DSDT edits. A google search indicates that your symptoms are characteristic of a dying graphics card. Have you done a furmark/GPU-z benchmarking in windows to rule out a bad card?

That doesn't make any sense though, The card works perfectly fine under Windows 7 and when I was running 10.7.3 and all of the other installs I had on it before that. So no way it could be the card. This problem is with the update. I'm sure if I do a full restore this will correct the issue, I just don't want to reinstall everything all over again, back up all of my stuff I have on there, it's just a long task. I would rather try and figure why it's happening and correct the problem.

Holy crap. I was mistaking this thread for another involving a 9800gt and a black screen. Ignore the part I said about a bad card.

2 things I would try:

Update chimera to latest version (use GraphicsEnabler=yes)
Plug into a different DVI port.

Also see if there is any useful information in verbose mode. Boot with -v

I installed the latest version, and I would think graphics enabler is on Yes, I'm pretty sure it is. Also tried unplugging the DVI and into the second one, Tried taking the whole card out and putting it into the other slot, still nothing.

So my only other options are restore or this DSDT Edit which is really confusing. I wish there was a little bit more straight forward tutorial on it.

What about trying to boot from Unibeast into your Lion partition? Does that work?

I tried a reinstall over the current one with Unibeast without losing anything and its still a black screen, Tried that one a while ago.

I just recently tried a install on another drive I have for a my friends older iMac and it was Snow Leopard, I clicked that in iBoot by accident and it booted up perfectly, so I know this issue has something to do with the new update and not my card.

I just did this DSDT Edit using that tutorial , I'm going to restart and see what happens. I'm sure I'll either get a KP or it just won't work. If so, looks like I'll start the back up process and then do a full restore, Fuuuuunnnnnnn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back