Contribute
Register

Stuck at Black Screen After Booting Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man. Good luck to you.

Ok so this is what happened. I did this tutorial ---> http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/advanced-dsdt-fixes-nvidia-graphics.html

After completing this, I restarted and was presented with my screen again, YAY, But not to happy. I am at default resolution - 1024 and I can't switch to anything else. Screen shots show that I have only 3Mb of Graphics? Wait what???

So I couldn't get to a Screen before this Tutorial, now after completing it and deleting any Enablers in my Extension folder, I am now presented with a HUGE screen instead of a black one and without my proper graphics.

I then use MultiBeast and do the usual System Utilities and Use DSDT install, Now my graphics work and I'm back at the Black Screen again hahahah WOW. Soooooo this is something to do with the Old original DSDT, because when I edited mine in that DSDTSE software it worked without my proper graphics.

So what are my options now???? I really don't know what else to do here. I'm afraid if I do a full restore now, it'll just be the same outcome because of this update.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 4.40.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 4.40.14 PM.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 582
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 4.39.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 4.39.54 PM.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 593
Multibeast installs GraphicsEnabler=yes into the chameleon boot.plist. Get rid of that entry in your boot.plist. You shouldn't have to use that with DSDT edits.

Once you get back to the screen where you see something, even if its not proper graphics, try and install these drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f06-driver.html

*fingers crossed*

I assume you are using the MacPro3,1 system definition?

Ok so what you are saying is if I use my Edited DSDT from what I made using that Tutorial and then take out Graphics Enabler=yes from plist and then install that update, this might work?

Or do I keep the original DSDT from tonymac's site and then delete the GraphicsEnabler from the plist and then do the update?

I'm on 5.1 system Def, by default it always puts it to the 3.1 So I put it to the 5.1, Is that fine?

Hahah Ok now after doing that update from nvidia my graphics now say "Graphics NVIDIA Chip Model 256 MB" Even though I have a GeForce 1GB Card. Sooooooo after about 4 months of struggling with this crap, time to do a full restore. Hopefully it just works with doing that. I'm pretty fed up with trying all of this stuff and nothing working. Time to start the backup process, Ugh :/

Why don't you, just to be complete, revert to your older DSDT that has worked in the past, use GraphicsEnabler=yes, and PCIRootUID=0 or PCIRootUID=1 and see what happens with the new drivers from nVidia. Just as a last straw...

I tried using my old one again, and deleted all the GeForce kexts just to see if that did anything, I did a restart and now I'm getting a KP, not sure how to go back to fix it now.

I did do another fresh install onto another drive, used rBoot and that booted up my Unibeast Flash Drive, did the install to the other HD, restarted into LION 10.7.4 everything worked great except for sound of course. I put Multibeast on there, downloaded my DSDT again from here, installed the new Chimera, did the normal Multibeast updates such as user DSDT, changed my system from MacPro to 5.1, didn't do any graphics or network. Did a restart and BAM black screen again hahaha, I don't get what is in this Update that makes my graphics card not work properly anymore.

With my old DSDT from the site and with Graphics Enabler on is when I get the black screen, when I delete Graphics Enabler from the plist then it works but without my graphics, this is just becoming more and more of a headache. I'm assuming when using rBoot it does this to, boots it without the plist with Graphics Enabler in it, which is why it probably works fine.

Any other suggestions? Even if I do a restore on my 1TB drive now that I have the original OS installed on, this wont work anymore because of the graphics issue. I'm banging my head against the wall over here :/

Ok so this is what happened. I did this tutorial ---> http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/advanced-dsdt-fixes-nvidia-graphics.html

After completing this, I restarted and was presented with my screen again, YAY, But not to happy. I am at default resolution - 1024 and I can't switch to anything else. Screen shots show that I have only 3Mb of Graphics? Wait what???

So I couldn't get to a Screen before this Tutorial, now after completing it and deleting any Enablers in my Extension folder, I am now presented with a HUGE screen instead of a black one and without my proper graphics.

I then use MultiBeast and do the usual System Utilities and Use DSDT install, Now my graphics work and I'm back at the Black Screen again hahahah WOW. Soooooo this is something to do with the Old original DSDT, because when I edited mine in that DSDTSE software it worked without my proper graphics.

So what are my options now???? I really don't know what else to do here. I'm afraid if I do a full restore now, it'll just be the same outcome because of this update.

Please upload the DSDT you edited following that guide so I can take a look at it. Also open DSDTSE and click the "Get" button under "Registry Info" and then File > Save as the ioreg output and upload it also so we can make sure you're adding the DSDT fix to the correct location in the DSDT. If your G5 mod Avatar picture is the system you're trying to get working properly, it looks to me like the Graphics Card is not installed in the PCIe x16 slot that is closest to the CPU. If that is correct, you may have added the DSDT edit to the wrong location.

Dil83

Why are you using MacPro5,1? Have you tried just MacPro3,1?

I believe rBoot uses MacPro3,1 sys def and GraphicsEnabler=yes. I have researched other builds on here with your MB, and everyone mostly uses MacPro3,1.

Why are you using MacPro5,1? Have you tried just MacPro3,1?

I believe rBoot uses MacPro3,1 sys def and GraphicsEnabler=yes. I have researched other builds on here with your MB, and everyone mostly uses MacPro3,1.

I just always thought that having the newest one was better in some way. The rBoot works flawlessly in booting my system with a screen and graphics. It's getting it to work without it is the trick right now. I managed to copy the Extra folder and Extension folder from this new install and pasted over into my old Install on the other Drive, so lets see if I get a KP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back