Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
custom-linux/windows7
CPU
intel i5 9th gen
Graphics
amd 580x
Hello all at TonyMacX86!
First, I am going to apologize, as this will likely be a fairly long post.

My Hardware/Setup:
-Gateway NV57H05H laptop
-BIOS ONLY no uefi
-6 GB ram @ 1333 Mhz
-Intel second gen i3-2310m Sandy Bridge
-Intel HD3000 Graphic
-Intel HDA
-Broadcom netlink gigabit ethernet BCM57781
-Belkin f7d1101 v1 usb wifi (onboard is an intel based that doesn't work.)
-1TB seagate HDD

My Background:
Up until a few weeks ago, I was running a clean triple boot, 10.8.5, win7, and kali 2.0 on my personal laptop (specs above). This has always worked for me using Chameleon boot loader. I have successfully built many desktop and laptop hackintosh's ranging from 10.6-10.10, using mosty chameleon and enoch boot loaders, however I have occasionally used chimera or clover depending on the Mboard setup.

Because of this I am quite familiar with many of the common hackintosh boot problems, manually installing kexts or repairing permissions/kextcaches.

My Issue:

About 3 weeks ago I decided to finally give updating my setup a go. My goal is the same triple boot, however with 10.10 and a GUID formatted disk. Also I'd like to add windows through bootcamp after wards to avoid ruining my clover install.
I have successfully built my installer usb, and have installed and booted 10.10 cleanly, and even added my required kexts (FakeSmc, CPUPowerManagement, VoodooPS2) and then completed the process by installing clover to my hard drive.

Now, if i simply reboot the pc, clover boots just fine, and allows me into my hackintosh.... HOWEVER, if I actually perform a full shutdown, and then try to boot later on, I receive a boot5 error. Even worse, if I try to boot from my installer USB I now suddenly receive the same error! Its as if a full shutdown is corrupting my 'boot' file/folder within the root of my drive, somehow blocking a completely separate clover (my usb) from booting aswell. As this is a laptop, shutting down and moving the device is kind of necessary lol.

I have tried both the boot0af way and the boots way, with and without the 'install to ESP' option and am using clover 3526.
I have also already done the 'dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2' and then re-installed clover, same error.

My Workaround:
At this point, after weeks of trying many different clover options, and trying both GUID and MBR partition schemes, the only way I have found around my boot 5 error is to boot a 10.8.5 installer usb (with chameleon boot loader), go into terminal, navigate to my HDD install (/Volumes/Hackintosh) and removing the 'boot' file or BOOT folder (depending on clover settings), then using my 10.10 usb with clover to actually boot into my 10.10 HDD.

Summary:
-No UEFI - BIOS/Legacy only
-Currently clean GUID partition with only 10.10 installed (more later)
-Clover install works with reboot, not with shutdown
-Error also somehow stops usb clover from booting
-Issue seems to be with 'boot'/'BOOT' file/folder, but different clover settings do not fix it.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Not a User Build - Moved to Laptop Support.

Also I'd like to add windows through bootcamp

Bootcamp is for Macs, not needed for PCs.

I have successfully built my installer usb, and have installed and booted 10.10 cleanly, and even added my required kexts (FakeSmc, CPUPowerManagement, VoodooPS2) and then completed the process by installing clover to my hard drive.

No need for patched AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext on disk. You can patch automatically with AsusAICPUPM=true in your config.plist.

Now, if i simply reboot the pc, clover boots just fine, and allows me into my hackintosh.... HOWEVER, if I actually perform a full shutdown, and then try to boot later on, I receive a boot5 error. Even worse, if I try to boot from my installer USB I now suddenly receive the same error! Its as if a full shutdown is corrupting my 'boot' file/folder within the root of my drive, somehow blocking a completely separate clover (my usb) from booting aswell. As this is a laptop, shutting down and moving the device is kind of necessary lol.

You should try to find the meaning of the error you're getting...

Refer to Clover/wiki/FAQ for information on boot problems... (I'm not using Clover legacy anywhere).

navigate to my HDD install (/Volumes/Hackintosh) and removing the 'boot' file or BOOT folder

There should be no 'boot' file on the system volume if you install Clover to the ESP ("legacy root" configuration not recommended).

Summary:
-No UEFI - BIOS/Legacy only
-Currently clean GUID partition with only 10.10 installed (more later)
-Clover install works with reboot, not with shutdown
-Error also somehow stops usb clover from booting
-Issue seems to be with 'boot'/'BOOT' file/folder, but different clover settings do not fix it.

You might want check your BIOS settings... ("fast boot" disabled).

Also, some BIOS implementations have issues booting legacy to a GPT drive. In that case, you have to convert your GPT setup to MBR (and then convert back if you need to for OS X installation/etc). You can convert back & forth with gdisk in Linux.

Thank you for your response. Firstly, there is no fastboot on my laptop, was win7 from the start. As for the boot file, it is there because I have tried multiple clover setups, and I assumed that since I have a legacy bios, with no efi partition, that the ESP install option was not recommended?

Thank you for your response. Firstly, there is no fastboot on my laptop, was win7 from the start.

Win7 nothing to do with "fast boot" BIOS option. It is purely a BIOS option that can affect Clover's ability to enumerate and access attached drives on the system.

As for the boot file, it is there because I have tried multiple clover setups, and I assumed that since I have a legacy bios, with no efi partition, that the ESP install option was not recommended?

I don't understand "with no efi partition"...

All GPT partitioned disks have an EFI partition when partitioned via Disk Utility. The OS X installer requires GPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back