CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Dual Vega 64’s
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
So, after a couple of hiccups, Mojave has been installed successfully :) . I can now boot and browse, which are my minimal requirements...

First thing that I note is that my wifi card does not seem to be recognized. It is the tp-link TL WDN4800 which worked fine and OOB under HighSierra and is still under the latest current recommended network card on Tonymac.

Have I forgot something during the setup process to make it work under Mojave ?
This is what I used in both my builds.

And I have since rebuilt my i7-6700K using my old ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Extreme board.
However, the built in NIC is no longer working in macOS nor Windows. It does not light up or anything.
I need a new nic card but I can't seem to locate one that will work. I do like have imessage and all working on my machines. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
We've now received some reports that the TP-Link WDN4800 chipset is not supported in Mojave. Nuts! OK. I know the TP-Link T9E works. Love its' speed.

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Dual Vega 64’s
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@boogieman77

There is a working temporary fix for this. Apple have depreciated support for this device for Mojave.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-my-wifi-tl-wdn4800-n900-not-working-after-install-mojave.257115/

This 'fix' should be considered as a temporary measure.
I’m sticking to 10.13.6 on this as I run a Nvidia card GTX 1080 Ti. I am pretty sure the built in Ethernet got zapped. Right before I built new setup we had a terrible lightning storm got some switches and this went out. Just trying to find a nice card that will work.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Dual Vega 64’s
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I’m sticking to 10.13.6 on this as I run a Nvidia card GTX 1080 Ti. I am pretty sure the built in Ethernet got zapped. Right before I built new setup we had a terrible lightning storm got some switches and this went out. Just trying to find a nice card that will work. And also let me continue to use iMessage, handoff, airdrop all work.
Found some Sonnets but they are 10gig and 5gig. These say they work but I don’t need that speed and price.

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
If you just want Apple features working, then the Null Ethernet may be an option to trick Apple to think that you have working ethernet:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

You should be able to find inexpensive Realtek PCIe Ethernet cards woth a google search - but also try to check manufacturer specification to ensure that the info is correct.
There is also some Intel Ethernet cards available that may be a little more expensive. Both these options would require you to add the correct corresponding Ethernet kext - Use MultiBeast for speed, then reboot to test.

Ethernet must be on 'en 0' as listed in About this mac > System Information > Ethernet for Apple Services to function correctly. If you have any issues configuring then post full details of what you have done and the issues that you have to the Network Section for assistance.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/network.15/

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
RX 570
I have upgraded to 10.14.4, but, now after sleep, I lose audio. I tried reinstalling the AppleALC with MultiBeast, but no change after sleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO Z170
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580 x2
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Color Classic, iMac, Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just bought a second hand Sapphire Pulse RX580 8 gb today, and followed your indications. It *almost* worked OOB : I get a purple screen when logging in to OSX ( I'm still on High Sierra).

I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect to my monitor, this scheme has been working like a charm with my previous GTX 960 board for several months. So I replicated the same type of connection when I first plugged in the RX580 but bumped into that purple color problem.

Note that on booting, either into UEFI or during initial "Apple loading" , the colours are perfectly normal - the while apple is really white. It's only after the hackintosh gets into login screen that the screen becomes purple.

I got rid of that issue by using a HDMI to HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI port of the RX580 instead of the DVI port.

So , the question is : what could have cause this purple screen when I use the DVI port ? When I connect the DVI-HDMI cable to a secondary monitor ( my tv screen in fact) the tv screen inherits from that purple tinge, while my main monitor ( i.e using hdmi-hdmi connection) displays correct colours. Any idea what could be wrong? I checked in the forum, and there are a couple of cases mentioning a quite similar issue, but I could not really make sense out of the threads . More specially I do not understand why this connection worked fine with my previous nvidia GTX 960 and not working correctly with the RX580.
You need to use a real deal DVI to DVI cable. I had the same issue and when adding a second card did the same thing I tried a true DVI cable and low and behold the DVI out works proper. Mystery Solved. No combination of DVI to (anyting) resulted in a proper signal. DVI to DVI works.

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
CPU
I7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
iOS
You need to use a real deal DVI to DVI cable. I had the same issue and when adding a second card did the same thing I tried a true DVI cable and low and behold the DVI out works proper. Mystery Solved. No combination of DVI to (anyting) resulted in a proper signal. DVI to DVI works.
OK then. I have found a couple of quirks moving from my Nvidia to the AMD RX 580 card, though not very impacting, but only slightly annoying . Apart from this purple/pink tinge if I use a DVI-to-HDMI (and thus now I am using only the HDMi ports to circumvent this), I have my primary monitor and my tv connected via HDMI, and I notice that,- during *BIOS boot time and initial OSX load only*, the signal is sent first to my TV, and, then, only after several seconds, I get an output on my main monitor .

For example when displaying the Apple logo with the time bar showing macOS load progress, only my TV gets the output, until finally the login screen appears. From then on, both monitor and TV would show the screens simultaneously. I had this behavior on High Sierra also. I have now upgraded to Mojave but this behavior stays the same. I am guessing there must be a BIOS graphics setting that I need to change, but I cannot figure this out. (If anyone has an idea ...) . No big deal though.

At least I have a Mojave-compatible graphics card. The agreeable surprise was that I had audio-over-HDMI working, which I did not expect. (Note : I only applied the same MultiBeast settings indicated in the beginning of Stork's guide.)

I would like also to know whether my rig is benefiting fully from hardware acceleration provided by the RX 580. How can I check that ? Any tools or benchmarks that I can run ?

Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Stork Thanks for the great guide. Just used it to rebuild my skylake mini ITX build. Was having some issues with disk space disappearing off my boot drive, so decided it was time for a clean Mojave install.

Last edited: