Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have upgraded to 10.14.4, but, now after sleep, I lose audio. I tried reinstalling the AppleALC with MultiBeast, but no change after sleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Just bought a second hand Sapphire Pulse RX580 8 gb today, and followed your indications. It *almost* worked OOB : I get a purple screen when logging in to OSX ( I'm still on High Sierra).

I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect to my monitor, this scheme has been working like a charm with my previous GTX 960 board for several months. So I replicated the same type of connection when I first plugged in the RX580 but bumped into that purple color problem.

Note that on booting, either into UEFI or during initial "Apple loading" , the colours are perfectly normal - the while apple is really white. It's only after the hackintosh gets into login screen that the screen becomes purple.

I got rid of that issue by using a HDMI to HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI port of the RX580 instead of the DVI port.

So , the question is : what could have cause this purple screen when I use the DVI port ? When I connect the DVI-HDMI cable to a secondary monitor ( my tv screen in fact) the tv screen inherits from that purple tinge, while my main monitor ( i.e using hdmi-hdmi connection) displays correct colours. Any idea what could be wrong? I checked in the forum, and there are a couple of cases mentioning a quite similar issue, but I could not really make sense out of the threads . More specially I do not understand why this connection worked fine with my previous nvidia GTX 960 and not working correctly with the RX580.

You need to use a real deal DVI to DVI cable. I had the same issue and when adding a second card did the same thing I tried a true DVI cable and low and behold the DVI out works proper. Mystery Solved. No combination of DVI to (anyting) resulted in a proper signal. DVI to DVI works.

You need to use a real deal DVI to DVI cable. I had the same issue and when adding a second card did the same thing I tried a true DVI cable and low and behold the DVI out works proper. Mystery Solved. No combination of DVI to (anyting) resulted in a proper signal. DVI to DVI works.

OK then. I have found a couple of quirks moving from my Nvidia to the AMD RX 580 card, though not very impacting, but only slightly annoying . Apart from this purple/pink tinge if I use a DVI-to-HDMI (and thus now I am using only the HDMi ports to circumvent this), I have my primary monitor and my tv connected via HDMI, and I notice that,- during *BIOS boot time and initial OSX load only*, the signal is sent first to my TV, and, then, only after several seconds, I get an output on my main monitor .

For example when displaying the Apple logo with the time bar showing macOS load progress, only my TV gets the output, until finally the login screen appears. From then on, both monitor and TV would show the screens simultaneously. I had this behavior on High Sierra also. I have now upgraded to Mojave but this behavior stays the same. I am guessing there must be a BIOS graphics setting that I need to change, but I cannot figure this out. (If anyone has an idea ...) . No big deal though.

At least I have a Mojave-compatible graphics card. The agreeable surprise was that I had audio-over-HDMI working, which I did not expect. (Note : I only applied the same MultiBeast settings indicated in the beginning of Stork's guide.)

I would like also to know whether my rig is benefiting fully from hardware acceleration provided by the RX 580. How can I check that ? Any tools or benchmarks that I can run ?

@Stork Thanks for the great guide. Just used it to rebuild my skylake mini ITX build. Was having some issues with disk space disappearing off my boot drive, so decided it was time for a clean Mojave install.

Last edited:
We've now received some reports that the TP-Link WDN4800 chipset is not supported in Mojave. Nuts! OK. I know the TP-Link T9E works. Love its' speed.
Just bought a second hand T9E and installed it on my Hack. Worked OOB...

Hello @Stork

may I upgrade the 6700k with a 9700k on the Hero VIII?

I'm on HS, waiting for the nvidia webdrivers LOL (seems like it will never happen)

I considering to buy a RX880 pulse to replace my GTX1070, then upgrade to MOJAVE.
Is it just plug-n-play if I do it?

For some reason, my build freezes sometimes. It happens when I'm importing multiples files from SD cards (vídeos/pictures) or when editing big files on Premiere Pro/Photoshop. It freezes and only a reset makes it work again. Do you think it might be a problem related to my SD Crucial M2 Mx300? Seems like the system crashes when it's writing/copying files. I did reinstalled HS twice and the problem keeps happening. What is the most compatible SD do you suggest?

Thank you so much!

Hello @Stork

may I upgrade the 6700k with a 9700k on the Hero VIII?

I'm on HS, waiting for the nvidia webdrivers LOL (seems like it will never happen)

I considering to buy a RX880 pulse to replace my GTX1070, then upgrade to MOJAVE.
Is it just plug-n-play if I do it?

For some reason, my build freezes sometimes. It happens when I'm importing multiples files from SD cards (vídeos/pictures) or when editing big files on Premiere Pro/Photoshop. It freezes and only a reset makes it work again. Do you think it might be a problem related to my SD Crucial M2 Mx300? Seems like the system crashes when it's writing/copying files. I did reinstalled HS twice and the problem keeps happening. What is the most compatible SD do you suggest?

Thank you so much!
No unfortunately you cannot go to that processor using your current board. I went with a Gigabyte Z390 board and i9-9900K which can use the chip you mention. I rebuilt the 6700K into a smaller build.

No unfortunately you cannot go to that processor using your current board. I went with a Gigabyte Z390 board and i9-9900K which can use the chip you mention. I rebuilt the 6700K into a smaller build.
Confirmed. The i9 has a different pin layout/socket configuration than the VIII HERO motherboard.

Oh, ok. Thought it would fit on the socket. Thanks!

What about the ssd ? Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back