Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you see the Wifi in About This Mac > System Report > Network (> Wi-Fi)? If so, at the "> Wi-Fi" window, you will "Supported Channels". Check your router to see if the supported channels match up with the default of your router; if not, you will have to change your router to match with the card.

If you don't see the card in the Wi-Fi window, and it can't be used with Window's either, you probably have a defective card. See if you can exchange it. Bummer, I know. Good luck!

Thanks for your input, yes I think it is a bust card!

Hi Stork,

small question. Is it possible/easy/oob to integrate a Thunderbolt card into our setup? Even under El Captain? What I've read so far is, that you need Windows to activate such PCI-E card. I don't have/use Windows...

Thx a lot in advance for your insight.
Best
Michael

Hi Stork,

small question. Is it possible/easy/oob to integrate a Thunderbolt card into our setup? Even under El Captain? What I've read so far is, that you need Windows to activate such PCI-E card. I don't have/use Windows...

Thx a lot in advance for your insight.
Best
Michael
Unfortunately, you'll need Windoze which is why I'm not using a Thunderbolt card on MyHero because I don't use Windoze. tonymacx86 has a ASUS Z97-A, and he had to install the Windows Thunderbolt Drivers. So, Windows is required.

However, tonymacx86's Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 motherboard did not require Windows because of the built in Thunderbolt 3.

I'm awaiting next year's motherboards as Intel has announced that it will not charge for Thunderbolt any more. So, lots of motherboards will have Thunderbolt and be less expensive.

Unfortunately, you'll need Windoze which is why I'm not using a Thunderbolt card on MyHero because I don't use Windoze. tonymacx86 has a ASUS Z97-A, and he had to install the Windows Thunderbolt Drivers. So, Windows is required.

However, tonymacx86's Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 motherboard did not require Windows because of the built in Thunderbolt 3.

I'm awaiting next year's motherboards as Intel has announced that it will not charge for Thunderbolt any more. So, lots of motherboards will have Thunderbolt and be less expensive.
thx for the information. I´ll wait, too... ;-)
Best
Michael

Hello Stork, I have a similar setup with the Hero VIII and Sierra, but I'm unable to find a patched DSDT anywhere for this board. Do you use any?

The only issue I have is with the Front Panel Audio, I get no sound, but the mic works though and headphones are detected by OSX. I use vit9696/AppleALC - AppleALC for audio.

Hello Stork, I have a similar setup with the Hero VIII and Sierra, but I'm unable to find a patched DSDT anywhere for this board. Do you use any?

The only issue I have is with the Front Panel Audio, I get no sound, but the mic works though and headphones are detected by OSX. I use vit9696/AppleALC - AppleALC for audio.
I don't use a DSDT as it is not needed. I use the MultiBeast audio as I've shown in Post #1's Installation Notes:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio​
The audio on the Front Panel on my case works fine. So, why did you use that other audio driver?

I don't use a DSDT as it is not needed. I use the MultiBeast audio as I've shown in Post #1's Installation Notes:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio​
The audio on the Front Panel on my case works fine. So, why did you use that other audio driver?

I don't remember the original reason why I ended up with the other driver, but I think I only installed once MultiBeast. I followed your guide and installed twice (MB bug), and it works. So thank you for that! Front audio works fine.

Only need to fix wake from sleep sound. I'll try codec commander. TY!

Hey Stork! Have you tested or attempted to install the Asus EXII or EXIII cards on your system?

I am struggling, I've had the thunderbolt 3 port work intermittently with no real repeatable methods.

Essentially it worked intermittently while I was trying to get Nvidia PASCAL drivers to work. On two separate builds it worked. I managed to get it to work yesterday, then a defective peripheral "Broke" it. And it stopped functioning. I have since thrown that peripheral out.

The crazy thing is everything works on the Window side. Just not on OS X side.

Please advise if you have any advice or if you could test on your setup.

Cheers,
Davis

Hey Stork! Have you tested or attempted to install the Asus EXII or EXIII cards on your system?
Please advise if you have any advice or if you could test on your setup...
I have not invested in the ASUS ThunderboltEXII or EX 3 card. I find Thunderbolt too expensive for my use.

There is this thread in the General Hardware > ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe Expansion Card Spotted.

ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 working with GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Great guide, Stork. Thank you! Working on identical build, except with cheaper RAM. Everything's going smooth, except I can't get "restart" working from the get-go, when working with the BIOS (pre-Unibeast), I have to hold down the power button. Any clues? Bare-bones, haven't even put the graphics card in yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back