Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Thanks for the feedback. I'll do update today if the chore list lets me. :)
I'll wait and see how it turns out for you. Thanks.:)

From what I read at one of the tech sites was that all MB manufacturers April updates included the hyper thread fix. Just asking and I don't know.
http://wccftech.com/intel-hyperthre...sors-was-addressed-by-bios-fix-in-april-2017/
Thanks, Iwagsz! For you HERO motherboard owners with Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyper Threading processors (typically, the i7 series), you should update your BIOS to the latest version, according to the article linked above.

Unfortunately, for us HERO users (and most probably all ASUS 100/200 series motherboards owners) still using version 2202 or earlier, you will lose the "remembered" NVRAM. So, you will have to either use slim.jim's Problem 6 solution or run MultiBeast v9.1+, just selecting the following and reboot into the BIOS to update your BIOS.

Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​

Note: Clover maybe a updated in MultiBeast v9.1+.

I have 3401. no issues. not sure how to test hyper threading
Diddo! Updated, but don't know how to test. I suppose I could rip a DVD to test as ripping uses hyperthreading, IIRC.

Diddo! Updated, but don't know how to test. I suppose I could rip a DVD to test as ripping uses hyperthreading, IIRC.

Glade to hear BIOS upgrade works OK. I have no idea either how to test. I am still on 2202 also just because of the reasons you state but I would rather know BIOS up to date and use the fixes if necessary.
Thanks for the responses.

Glade to hear BIOS upgrade works OK. I have no idea either how to test. I am still on 2202 also just because of the reasons you state but I would rather know BIOS up to date and use the fixes if necessary.
Thanks for the responses.
The only concern I have, from what I've read on the subject, is that you don't know you have a problem until it's too late. So, better to be safe than sorry.

If you do update, make sure your do the NVRAM fix I discussed in Post #1176.

From doing a bit of reading around, it doesn't look like ASUS have included the hyperthreading fixes into a BIOS update yet, so the problem still exists for the time being. I might just turn off hyperthreading to be on the safe side.

Well, according to that article linked in Post #1173, the motherboard manufacturers were suspose to have fixed it in a BIOS update by April, 2017. This is kinda a strange situation - sorta like a best kept secrete. Hmmmm.

"The issue has been addressed with a fix that started rolling out in April 2017"

As ASUS don't explicitly mention it in release notes for Hero VIII or IX (which came out in March) I'm guessing they've just not implemented it yet! There are a lot of people on the ROG forums moaning about it, that's for sure!

Hopefully the chance of it being triggered are as remote as the article suggests.

Yeah, I know (re: not in the release notes). However, being of the philosophy that motherboard manufacturers wouldn't release a BIOS update unless it would benefit the users. So,...

BTW, do you have a link to that ROG forum thread? Might as well keep current. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back