Motherboard
ASUS x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7940x
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
I'm pretty sure I am. After holding down the F8 key, I see 4 partitions. The two internal storage (the 960 M.2 and a 4T standard 3.5) The other two are from the USB. The EFI and the OSX (Is it normal to have two partitions when creating the boot UniBeast USB?). If I did choose the NVMe drive, would I still see the Clover boot screen? Thanks for replying ddsmith!
As a principle I would disconnect all drives beside the one you are installing to and reconnect them after the installation. And yes, it is normal for the USB to have 2 partitions. Also, try different USB ports, USB 2 through chipset are recommended over controller-bound ones.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I updated Gene to High Sierra 10.13.6. I'm using AppleALC and Lilu. (MultiBeast v10.4.0 has the option of using AppleALC and Lilu. But, I'm using the procedures below instead because of I'm replacing the previous MultiBeast audio method which was used before this update. Be sure to read the Features document which comes with the zip file or on MultiBeast.com.)

There's two ways to modify an existing installation:
:ch: You'll need to replace the MultiBeast modified AppleHDA in /S/L/E/ folder. The easiest method is to run the latest High Sierra Combo Update (in this case 10.13.6). (Thanks, @pastrychef!)

:ch: You'll need to replace the MultiBeast modified AppleHDA in /S/L/E/ folder with the unmodified Apple HDA in the installer. I used Pacifist to open up the Installer app to file AppleHDA. (Pacifist has a trial version; I recommend it's purchase for use on your hackintosh(es).)

:ch: Run Pacifist and extract the AppleHDA to your Desktop. (Make sure it's the only kext on your Desktop.) AppleHDA will be in the .../Extensions/ folder shown below:

:ch:Right click on the AppleHDA, choose "Extract to Custom Location" and choose your Desktop.
:ch:Close Pacifist.

:ch:Go to your installation disk's /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and move AppleHDA to the Trash.
:ch:With the Installation app extracted AppleHDA the only kext on your Desktop, run KextBeast choosing the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.
:ch:Move the AppleALC kext on your Desktop to a safe place to archive it or you can delete it.

:ch:Now update to High Sierra 10.13.16

Now, after the AppleHDA.kext has been replaced by the Easy Way or Adventuresome Method, do the following:

:ch: (Optional) If you using a Nvidia graphics card that requires the Nvidia drivers, you'll be prompted to update your driver; do so, but don't click on the reboot button until the following procedures are accomplished.
:ch: Download AppleALC and Lilu, extract the kexts from the zip files and put them on the Desktop. Again, only have these two kexts on your Desktop.
:ch: (Optional) Check the 3rd party kexts in the /Library/Extensions/ folder such as the IntelMausiEthernet.kext and USBInjectAll.kext. I had to update both and delete RehabMan's CodecCommander.kext. The latest IntelMausiEthernet.kext is in the Download > kexts (Menu bar on thetop of this page).
:ch: Run KextBeast choosing the /Library/Extensions/ folder.

:ch: Now we have to modify the .../EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file to remove all the old audio patches. So, using the Terminal command "diskutil list", find your EFI partition for installation drive and mount the EFI partition using EFI Mounter V3.
:ch: Backup up your current config.plist. Now open config.plist in Xcode or PlistEditorPro (my preference).
:ch: Make sure Audio Device ID = 1.
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>1</string>
        </dict>
:ch: Remove the audio patches in the KextsToPatch area. You should only have the "External Icons Patch" and the "USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart,FredWst" patch:
Code:
<array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>External icons patch</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                RXh0ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SW50ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart,FredWst</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g32IDw+DpwQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.13.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g32ID5CQkJCQkA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
:ch: Now Reboot.​

Upon reaching the Desktop, you should have audio which will survive wake-up from sleep. :thumbup:

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE DDR4 (Bios v3504)
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
K5000
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
As a principle I would disconnect all drives beside the one you are installing to and reconnect them after the installation. And yes, it is normal for the USB to have 2 partitions. Also, try different USB ports, USB 2 through chipset are recommended over controller-bound ones.
Thanks ddsmith only one USB port worked to install (the bottom front ports... very odd) also I did remove all other drives. That got me through the install 98% of the way. At the last step (to Change BOOT > Boot Options Priorities > Select your installation disk to either the:UEFI Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive) when restarted I do not see my new internal Partition just the external USB on the Clover Boot Screen. Almost as if I never installed. Did it not take? is there something else I missed? Again any help is appreciated Thanks!

I also wanted to add if I boot from the USB I see 5 options on the Clover boot screen they are 1.External USB 2. Boot filevault 3. Preboot 4. Boot internal OS 5. Recovery. When I do select the USB to Boot some line commands flash up... see photo.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7940x
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Thanks ddsmith only one USB port worked to install (the bottom front ports... very odd) also I did remove all other drives. That got me through the install 98% of the way. At the last step (to Change BOOT > Boot Options Priorities > Select your installation disk to either the:UEFI Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive) when restarted I do not see my new internal Partition just the external USB on the Clover Boot Screen. Almost as if I never installed. Did it not take? is there something else I missed? Again any help is appreciated Thanks!

I also wanted to add if I boot from the USB I see 5 options on the Clover boot screen they are 1.External USB 2. Boot filevault 3. Preboot 4. Boot internal OS 5. Recovery. When I do select the USB to Boot some line commands flash up... see photo.
Try to boot from the usb efi as often as it takes to finish the installation, then you can boot from the drive's efi.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
...I also wanted to add if I boot from the USB I see 5 options on the Clover boot screen they are 1.External USB 2. Boot filevault 3. Preboot 4. Boot internal OS 5. Recovery. When I do select the USB to Boot some line commands flash up... see photo.
When installing, upon reboot, the Clover Boot menu will default on the correct option to boot. If not, then, IIRC, choose the following:
- First two times, choose "Boot macOS Install..." at the Clover Boot screen, and
- Third time, choose "boot from Install drive...".

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE DDR4 (Bios v3504)
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
K5000
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
When installing, upon reboot, the Clover Boot menu will default on the correct option to boot. If not, then, IIRC, choose the following:
- First two times, choose "Boot macOS Install..." at the Clover Boot screen, and
- Third time, choose "boot from Install drive...".
Thank You! I will try this but, at what point if any do I remove the USB or change the boot order? Also want to mention I noticed I cannot mount any USB drives in the OS and I cannot get my graphic card to work with the appropriate drivers. I followed Tony's thread on NVIDIA Cards with no luck. But one problem at a time and this most likely is not the place to post that.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank You! I will try this but, at what point if any do I remove the USB or change the boot order? Also want to mention I noticed I cannot mount any USB drives in the OS and I cannot get my graphic card to work with the appropriate drivers. I followed Tony's thread on NVIDIA Cards with no luck. But one problem at a time and this most likely is not the place to post that.
All your questions are answered in Post #1's installation procedures.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
If I want to upgrade from a Samsung 850 SSD to a NVMe-M.2 drive, do I just clone my current drive and restore it after the new drive install? Anything in Clover or MultiBeast that I need to do? Thank you.

Also, anything I need to do if I'm upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thank you.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
If I want to upgrade from a Samsung 850 SSD to a NVMe-M.2 drive, do I just clone my current drive and restore it after the new drive install? Anything in Clover or MultiBeast that I need to do? Thank you.

Also, anything I need to do if I'm upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thank you.
Easiest way is:
1. Plug in your new NVMe SSD.
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone from your old Samsung 850 SSD to NVMe SSD.
3. Mount EFI partition of your Samsung 850 SSD.
4. Mount EFI partition of your NVMe SSD.
5. Copy EFI folder from Samsung 850 SSD to NVMe SSD.
6. Done.