Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Question about #4 in your post. When I plug in my NVMe SSD and boot up, there won't be an EFI partition, right? So what's the best way to create one on the new NVMe SSD? Just create a new partition and call it "EFI" using Disk Utility and copy over the EFI folder over? Thanks.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Question about #4 in your post. When I plug in my NVMe SSD and boot up, there won't be an EFI partition, right? So what's the best way to create one on the new NVMe SSD? Just create a new partition and call it "EFI" using Disk Utility and copy over the EFI folder over? Thanks.
When you initialize any hard drive or SSD to APFS or HFS+, an EFI partition is created. They are just not mounted in macOS automatically. That's why we have to mount them manually. There are apps that can do it such as EFI Mounter or Clover Configurator or it can be done in Terminal.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Ah ok, got it. Thanks for the quick responses! One more question... Can you recommend a decent drive for $100 or less? 256gb or 512gb works.

Also, anything needed software-wise when upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thanks again.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ah ok, got it. Thanks for the quick responses! One more question... Can you recommend a decent drive for $100 or less? 256gb or 512gb works.

Also, anything needed software-wise when upgrading from Skylake to Kabylake? Thanks again.
Over the weekend, I think I saw either HP or Samsung NVMe 500/512GB SSDs on sale for about $100... But I think the sales are over. Just keep an eye open and I'm sure they will go on sale again.

Upgrading from Skylake to Kaby Lake should be a drop in replacement without the need for any software changes.

Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Is there a noticeable speed increase going from the Samsung 850 Evo to a NVMe M.2 drive?

Would I see more of a speed increase going from a Skylake i5 to a Kabylake i5? Thank you.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is there a noticeable speed increase going from the Samsung 850 Evo to a NVMe M.2 drive?

Would I see more of a speed increase going from a Skylake i5 to a Kabylake i5? Thank you.
Generally, I would say the SSD would probably be "felt" more, especially ff you access the drive a lot, particularly with large files, you would probably feel the benefits of the NVMe more.

I view the setup up from Skylake to Kaby Lake to be a small evolutionary step forward rather than revolutionary. If you want more processing power, a Skylake i7 is probably a better choice than a Kaby Lake i5.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
VEGA 56
I've had this system running extremely well for two years. A few days ago I decided to update to High Sierra so I can use the latest Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Followed the guide as close as possible. Everything went well. Got to the Post-Installation/MulitBeast, followed the settings and instructions in Post #1. When I restart after MultiBeast, there is no OS drive listed in the Clover screen. I see all of the Clover functions, but no OS drive. If I have the install USB inserted, It shows that, but no more OS drive.

Anyone have any experience with this? This would be my 6th Hackintosh install and the first time it has not been a success.

I tried to install High Sierra twice, double checking this guide and I even tried Mojave. Every time, the same thing, it works until the Post-Installation/MulitBeast reboot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've had this system running extremely well for two years. A few days ago I decided to update to High Sierra so I can use the latest Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Followed the guide as close as possible. Everything went well. Got to the Post-Installation/MulitBeast, followed the settings and instructions in Post #1. When I restart after MultiBeast, there is no OS drive listed in the Clover screen. I see all of the Clover functions, but no OS drive. If I have the install USB inserted, It shows that, but no more OS drive.

Anyone have any experience with this? This would be my 6th Hackintosh install and the first time it has not been a success.

I tried to install High Sierra twice, double checking this guide and I even tried Mojave. Every time, the same thing, it works until the Post-Installation/MulitBeast reboot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
You don't see anything at all at the Clover boot menu??? Can you please post a picture?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
VEGA 56
This is what I see when it boots into Clover with the USB install drive removed. If the drive is inserted, it would only show the USB drive as an option.

During the installation process, when I saw the Clover boot screen, there was always one or two "Preboot" drives listed, but I was certain to choose my internal SSD each time.

Thank you for your help, it's been a lot of wasted days over here.

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is what I see when it boots into Clover with the USB install drive removed. If the drive is inserted, it would only show the USB drive as an option.

During the installation process, when I saw the Clover boot screen, there was always one or two "Preboot" drives listed, but I was certain to choose my internal SSD each time.

Thank you for your help, it's been a lot of wasted days over here.
Wow. Weird.

It seems that the partitions are still on the drive. Have you tried to run any disk repair apps?