Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Wedge

Thanks. I'll re-enable the secure boot.i read step three of the unibeast osx install guide.

So far the install is working. I'll be purchasing a m2 ssd tomorrow and basically redoing everything I've done on that. Today I just installed everything on an old 5400 rpm spin hd.

Motherboard
AsrockZ270M Extreme4
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi- Just an update. About 10 days ago I installed a couple of HDDs, small Logitech USB speakers and a webcam with mikes (the camera works with Preview for capturing signature images!). I migrated my apps from my iMac and copied my data over. Very few issues about the migration - just a couple of apps that needed reinstalling and a few permission errors. The biggest PITA was iCloud — I had to keep entering passwords for my Apple Id for quite a while.

Apart from these very minor, typically Apple issues, everything I've tried and use works fine. Graphics are great, no sound issues, scheduled and prompted sleep and wake always work. The only time my system has closed down was when I ordered it to. I'm on 10.12.6. so there haven't been any OS updates yet. Love the Phanteks case and Noctua cooler — even when the fans are working I can barely hear them. The 31.5in AOC at 2560 x 1440 is very usable for me - on the 27in iMac that was too small for these ageing eyes.

I don't have an SSDT yet - not sure what it would improve.

EDIT 19 August: I did an SSDT, but got 2 warnings and error that I'm uncertain about, though the compile completed with no errors. I've posted in the Quick guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management looking for advice.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA FTW3 1080ti
Guys, if the latest version of BIOS (3504) does not start installing macOS, then here's the solution - turn off the keyboard simulation in the USB settings. I myself encountered such a problem after updating BIOS. It turned out that the keyboard emulation function prevented the loader of the USB-drivers macOS. Also, in the new BIOS, there is no XHCI hand-off function. (Sorry for bad English))

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
blacktea, Thank you for that information. It's good to know the latest BIOS brings some BIOS changes.

pastrychef, Looks like ASUS is making our life exciting by always making some changes in the BIOS and not noting them in any documentation.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, I don't know what the keyboard and mouse simulator does in BIOS... Nor do I know why they removed the XHCI handoff. I wonder if they've implemented these changes to their 200-series motherboards.

In my opinion, 2202 remains the best choice for those who are using Skylake CPUs and 3401 has been working well for me on Kaby Lake.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did they, perhaps, set XHCI to always enabled (I don't know why it wouldn't be needed, given what I believe it does) and thus removed the option to disable it?

Motherboard
MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Guys, if the latest version of BIOS (3504) does not start installing macOS, then here's the solution - turn off the keyboard simulation in the USB settings. I myself encountered such a problem after updating BIOS. It turned out that the keyboard emulation function prevented the loader of the USB-drivers macOS. Also, in the new BIOS, there is no XHCI hand-off function. (Sorry for bad English))

Yes, after UEFI bios update to 3504 (Maximus Ranger VIII) MacOS boot hangs. Disabling USB keyboard and mouse simulation in bios solved the problem.

Last edited:
Quick update:

Apple Logic / Mainstage / Ableton / Scarlett 6i6 seem to be working as expected with everything I've tried so far.

Only issue I am encountering is if I turn off my monitor and then turn it back on, there is nothing displayed. I don't think it is sleeping since I have checked "never put my mac to sleep" in energy savings, and I can hear the screenshot shutter noise if I hit the keyboard shortcut. I've tried unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable--no change. The issue does not carry over into my Win10 drive. Only difference is Win10 is installed on an M.2 SSD, and OSX on a standard 2.5" SSD.

Probably a BIOS setting that I haven't found yet, so if anyone has pointers let me know.

As always...THANK YOU!

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Stork - do you know if ASUS stopped making Gene mobos? I did not see any in the buyer's guide list for i7-7700K CPUs. The only mATX ASUS mobos now look to be the Strix.
Yes, ASUS appears to have not issued a GENE model for Kaby Lake. There is lots of "chatter" on the Internet review sites as to why ASUS didn't issue an updated GENE, but no facts, just conjecture.

However, the bit-tech web site is convinced the ASUS ROG Strix Z270G is the next generation GENE. I don't know. But, I'm looking at the Z370 ROG mATX motherboards to be a candidate for my next build.

BTW, pastrychef, another GENE user, assessed the ASUS Z270 mATX motherboards last January to see if there was one compatible with the GENE. See > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i7-7700k-gtx-1080.198470/page-26#post-1409086

Last edited: