1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated to 10.12.6 without any problems and without any resulting problems.

:ch: I backed up the 10.12.5 build using Carbon Copy Cloner.
:ch: Updated from the MAS.
:ch: Upon completion of the update and rebooting to the Desktop, the Nvidia drivers were updated at the the Nvidia System Perference pane initiation.
:ch: Rebooted after the Nvidia driver update, and life is good! :thumbup:

An easy update.

One thing of note. Since I use an NVMe drive, I'm using the kext for 10.12.5 and the spoofing SSDT. There appears to be no changes needed in the HackNVMefamily kext need. However, RehabMan has not been around for a couple of days; so we'll see if an update is needed upon his return.

Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII GENE
CPU
I7 7700K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 760
Hi,
i have now an audio issue. Nothing in sound menu. (no output devices found and no input devices found)
I updated to 10.12.6 but i think it's not the issue.
I tried to fix shutdown/sleep not working so i used a lot sleep/shutdown. (darkwake=0 added). Btw shutdown is fixed but not sleep (i didn't really need sleep option so it's ok).
I tried to add some drivers in clover configurator too.
I tried to install again realtek drivers 1150 and 100/200 series with MultiBeast in case of it fix sound but it don't.
I joined my config.plist and a screenshot of drivers in clover configuration. Tell me if you need something else.

Attachments

• clover_configurator_drivers.png
    clover_configurator_drivers.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 223
  • config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 328
Motherboard
AsrockZ270M Extreme4
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated to 10.12.6 without any problems and without any resulting problems.

:ch: I backed up the 10.12.5 build using Carbon Copy Cloner.
:ch: Updated from the MAS.
:ch: Upon completion of the update and rebooting to the Desktop, the Nvidia drivers were updated at the the Nvidia System Perference pane initiation.
:ch: Rebooted after the Nvidia driver update, and life is good! :thumbup:

An easy update.

One thing of note. Since I use an NVMe drive, I'm using the kext for 10.12.5 and the spoofing SSDT. There appears to be no changes needed in the HackNVMefamily kext need. However, RehabMan has not been around for a couple of days; so we'll see if an update is needed upon his return.

I want to thank Stork and Pastrychef for the extraordinary amount of effort they put into developing, maintaining and advising on their Gene guides. I know I would have had a very difficult time getting close to the success I now have without their advice. I went live with a 10.12.5 build yesterday, and updated to 10.12.6 today. I have yet to find any issues. Everything I have tried works very well and very smoothly.

Quite unrelated to these builds, I was astonished today to get an system message saying application memory was running short and please close some apps! This is an old Mac OS situation (bug?) that I last saw many OS X versions ago. I think it may have been aggravated by the fact that at the moment my only storage is a 128GB Samsung SM951 so maybe paging was a problem, but I'll have an HDD soon.

I used both Stork's and Pastrychef's guides because I have a Kaby Lake CPU, so I was following Pastrychef's experience closely. If it weren't for forgetting to keep checking Stork's guide for updates, so that I missed the all-important changes for the BIOS version 3401, and my inexperience, I would have had an even easier build process. Both Stork and Pastrychef gave me invaluable advice.

I have the Maximus VIII Gene, an i5-7600K CPU, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM, a Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Gigabyte GTX 1050 2G, Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD running AHCI, a Cooler Master Vanguard 80 Plus 650W PSU, the Fenix WiFi card with BCM94360CD, an AOC 32" display that can go up to 2560 x 1440, and a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX with tempered glass. I spent the most time researching PSUs and the case. I wanted comfortable room in the case but not too big, good cooling and quiet operation. I was actually going to get the Enthoo Pro M with glass as it had lots of room and space and was very well reviewed, but when Phanteks announced the Evolv MATX TG I couldn't resists. The silver one in particular has a quite Apple look, I think.

When I think back to 2010-11 when I did my only other hackintosh build, it's extraordinary how much easier it has become thanks to the tireless efforts of the community experts. I'm convinced this one will serve me long and well.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Quite unrelated to these builds, I was astonished today to get an system message saying application memory was running short and please close some apps! This is an old Mac OS situation (bug?) that I last saw many OS X versions ago. I think it may have been aggravated by the fact that at the moment my only storage is a 128GB Samsung SM951 so maybe paging was a problem, but I'll have an HDD soon.

Yes, I think it's due to low space on your SSD.

Hey everyone,

I just tried this build. Hitting a giant snag, but I have some things I'm going to try. Just want to lay out my thought process here in case someone sees a glaring, obvious solution.

Once I try to boot from my El Capitan USB, I get the Apple logo with progress bar, but it just hangs there indefinitely.

Booting in verbose mode, it hangs up at "mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]"

I followed Stork's El Capitan guide that is linked in Post #1 of this thread. Posting this here because there doesn't seem to be any activity on that thread, and I don't expect that the installations would be vastly different.

Few things didn't go quite as expected in the BIOS settings:

1) I can't seem to find an explicit XHCI handoff parameter in the Gene BIOS. I was running the latest BIOS version (3504), then backtracked to 3401 to 100% coincide with this build guide. No luck. Not sure if this is something I should worry about?

2) To disable secure boot, I had to delete all the drive keys. Again, this step wasn't explicitly stated in the original guide, so not sure if I should worry about this either.

3) When I made the USB El Capitan Unibeast drive, I used the version of El Capitan that I downloaded as the free update from 10.6.8, linked here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 ( I had tried building an Ivy Bridge hackintosh but never got past 10.6.8 (boot 0 errors), so that gave me an excuse to just start completely over with new components. ) Does anyone know if there is a difference between this version of El Capitan and a "standard" version?

Path forward:

- I am going to remake the USB thumb drive. I was an idiot and used a 3.0 drive.

Again, just a stream of consciousness to maybe help someone else, or get some input from more experienced people!

Thanks!

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

I just tried this build. Hitting a giant snag, but I have some things I'm going to try. Just want to lay out my thought process here in case someone sees a glaring, obvious solution.

Once I try to boot from my El Capitan USB, I get the Apple logo with progress bar, but it just hangs there indefinitely.

Booting in verbose mode, it hangs up at "mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]"

I followed Stork's El Capitan guide that is linked in Post #1 of this thread. Posting this here because there doesn't seem to be any activity on that thread, and I don't expect that the installations would be vastly different.

Few things didn't go quite as expected in the BIOS settings:

1) I can't seem to find an explicit XHCI handoff parameter in the Gene BIOS. I was running the latest BIOS version (3504), then backtracked to 3401 to 100% coincide with this build guide. No luck. Not sure if this is something I should worry about?

2) To disable secure boot, I had to delete all the drive keys. Again, this step wasn't explicitly stated in the original guide, so not sure if I should worry about this either.

3) When I made the USB El Capitan Unibeast drive, I used the version of El Capitan that I downloaded as the free update from 10.6.8, linked here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 ( I had tried building an Ivy Bridge hackintosh but never got past 10.6.8 (boot 0 errors), so that gave me an excuse to just start completely over with new components. ) Does anyone know if there is a difference between this version of El Capitan and a "standard" version?

Path forward:

- I am going to remake the USB thumb drive. I was an idiot and used a 3.0 drive.

Again, just a stream of consciousness to maybe help someone else, or get some input from more experienced people!

Thanks!

You NEED to enable XHCI Hand-off. Without it, you probably won't be able to complete booting from the USB flash drive. It is located in Advanced/USB Configuration of the BIOS.

170721213216.jpg

Pastry - Thanks for the reply.

I posted a pic of my bios screen showing no option to explicitly enable XHCI handoff. Just so you know I'm not crazy.

I'll plan on reverting to an older bios I suppose? Assume this option got removed at some point?

IMG_20170813_120806.jpg

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's really strange... You said you are on BIOS 3401 which is what I'm on as well...

Remember, the flack back port is the port that under the ethernet port.

Also, since you are using a Skylake CPU, you may want to consider BIOS 2202 because it was the last BIOS version to give native NVRAM support. I begrudgingly updated to 3401 for better Kaby Lake CPU support when I upgraded my CPU.

Last edited:
Thanks Pastry again!

I was running BIOS version 3504, not 3401 like I thought. 3504 was released 8/11 (literally the night before I started this thing).

I reverted to 3401 and all seems to be fine. Working through the install right now. I'll keep you guys updated.

Bottom line right now: IF YOU ARE READING THIS, DO NOT UPDATE TO BIOS VERSION 3504!

Motherboard
AsrockZ270M Extreme4
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I have done this build, and I didn't try to disable secure boot. You'll see that doing that isn't listed in Stork's guide or Patrychef's. The things you do in the boot menu are are:

Boot Menu
:ch: Fast Boot > Disabled
:ch: Boot Logo Display > Disabled
:ch: Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
:ch: Boot Option 1 > USB installer thumb drive (the UEFI choice if there are two entries)