Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
blacktea, Thank you for that information. It's good to know the latest BIOS brings some BIOS changes.

pastrychef, Looks like ASUS is making our life exciting by always making some changes in the BIOS and not noting them in any documentation.

Yes, I don't know what the keyboard and mouse simulator does in BIOS... Nor do I know why they removed the XHCI handoff. I wonder if they've implemented these changes to their 200-series motherboards.

In my opinion, 2202 remains the best choice for those who are using Skylake CPUs and 3401 has been working well for me on Kaby Lake.

Last edited:
Did they, perhaps, set XHCI to always enabled (I don't know why it wouldn't be needed, given what I believe it does) and thus removed the option to disable it?

Guys, if the latest version of BIOS (3504) does not start installing macOS, then here's the solution - turn off the keyboard simulation in the USB settings. I myself encountered such a problem after updating BIOS. It turned out that the keyboard emulation function prevented the loader of the USB-drivers macOS. Also, in the new BIOS, there is no XHCI hand-off function. (Sorry for bad English))

Yes, after UEFI bios update to 3504 (Maximus Ranger VIII) MacOS boot hangs. Disabling USB keyboard and mouse simulation in bios solved the problem.

Last edited:
Quick update:

Apple Logic / Mainstage / Ableton / Scarlett 6i6 seem to be working as expected with everything I've tried so far.

Only issue I am encountering is if I turn off my monitor and then turn it back on, there is nothing displayed. I don't think it is sleeping since I have checked "never put my mac to sleep" in energy savings, and I can hear the screenshot shutter noise if I hit the keyboard shortcut. I've tried unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable--no change. The issue does not carry over into my Win10 drive. Only difference is Win10 is installed on an M.2 SSD, and OSX on a standard 2.5" SSD.

Probably a BIOS setting that I haven't found yet, so if anyone has pointers let me know.

As always...THANK YOU!

Stork - do you know if ASUS stopped making Gene mobos? I did not see any in the buyer's guide list for i7-7700K CPUs. The only mATX ASUS mobos now look to be the Strix.
Yes, ASUS appears to have not issued a GENE model for Kaby Lake. There is lots of "chatter" on the Internet review sites as to why ASUS didn't issue an updated GENE, but no facts, just conjecture.

However, the bit-tech web site is convinced the ASUS ROG Strix Z270G is the next generation GENE. I don't know. But, I'm looking at the Z370 ROG mATX motherboards to be a candidate for my next build.

BTW, pastrychef, another GENE user, assessed the ASUS Z270 mATX motherboards last January to see if there was one compatible with the GENE. See > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i7-7700k-gtx-1080.198470/page-26#post-1409086

Last edited:
I'm quite convinced that the ROG Strix Z270G is the 200-series replacement for the Gene. With Coffee Lake and 300-series around the corner, I would not expect anyone to release anymore new 200-series motherboards.

Thanks! The 270M mATX board would be better than the gaming one for my next build (wife's computer) since I dont need wifi or bluetooth. If I'm not planning on ever over clocking, would it be worth going with the H270 mATX model instead? or is the bios (or other stuff) different enough to make it more difficult to set up as a hackintosh?

stork- just to let you know, thanks to your Hero guide, my buddy and I both bought the board and built hackintoshes. He uses his to record and mix using ProTools at his recording studio (48 channel mixing board, i think). so thanks again

Thanks! The 270M mATX board would be better than the gaming one for my next build (wife's computer) since I dont need wifi or bluetooth. If I'm not planning on ever over clocking, would it be worth going with the H270 mATX model instead? or is the bios (or other stuff) different enough to make it more difficult to set up as a hackintosh?
Yes, you could go with a H270 mATX instead and not use a "K" model processor. I have a H97 series motherboard based system and works just as good as the Z97 counterpart.

stork- just to let you know, thanks to your Hero guide, my buddy and I both bought the board and built hackintoshes. He uses his to record and mix using ProTools at his recording studio (48 channel mixing board, i think). so thanks again
Great! It's a great motherboard with more options to make a very good recording studio computer.

Welcome to the Hero Club! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back