Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3
CPU
i5-2500
Graphics
GTX 460
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have 10.9 running on a Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 with an i5 Processor, nVidia 460 SE 1GB, 16GB of RAM, and a Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD.

Everything is working great, system boots in about 10 seconds, SSD appears to be flying. Except whenever I open a Finder window for the first time, the SSD takes about 20-30 seconds to load the list of contents within the Finder window. The "access" spinning icon in the bottom right hand corner of the finder window spins and spins, until after 20 seconds, everything shows up.

This would normally be fine, if it only did this once. But every application that accesses the Finder (through the open or save dialogue windows) exhibits the same behavior. I've attached a picture of the "Open File" window from Quicktime Player, as an example. The SSD shows up with no contents and the icon spins and spins... it reminds of a traditional hard drive that's fallen asleep and needs to spin up again... except that shouldn't be an issue with an SSD.

Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out here with these wait times. I've tried the blue and white SATA ports on my motherboard but that didn't help. SSD is formatted as GUID (mac os extended journaled).

Multibeast Settings:
Running with the "DSDT-GA-P67A-D3-B3-F7.aml" DSDT. Installing Realtek ALC889 with DSDT. 3rd Party SATA driver. Fake SMC. TRIM Enabler. RealTek AppleRTL8169 Ethernet. GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Hibernate Mode - Desktop. PCI Root ID Fix. Use Kernel Cache. SSDT Options: Core i5. Mac Pro 3,1 System Definition.

Any ideas? Appreciate it!

Attachments

• SSD Access.jpg
    SSD Access.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 325
I've been experimenting with Mavericks over the last couple of weeks. I've installed it several times and I've seen the "Finder delay" problem every time. Sometimes the delay begins straight after installation - sometimes after several reboots when installing software.

I've accidentally found a solution which USUALLY works -
changing the DNS settings in System Preferences/Network/Ethernet/Advanced/DNS

I change my settings to OpenDNS:

If I get the delay problem again - I change them to GoogleDNS IPv4:

or GoogleDNS IPv6:
2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

I'm not sure whether it's the DNS numbers that are solving the problem, or whether changing the numbers is resetting something.

NOTE - I don't have a wireless card in my system.

Interesting that it is not effecting more users here as it seems to be a widely discussed topic at apple support (without a solution though).
I have the same issues, slow icon buildup in finder listings, slowly starting programs etc. on up to now three new installations (on the same hardware). I will try Richard325´s advice once my current installation process is finished.
But that leads me to the guess that I should try lnx2mac´s ethernet kext on that installation, as this is the only item that I didn´t transfer from 10.8.x to 10.9 and if an ethernet setting might change it - we will see.

Edit: Neither did help, it is as slow as before. Hopefully one of the next mavericks updates will change it.

I had the same symptoms. My fix was to uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. I have a RAID 1 containing two HDs. It appears that it was waiting for all disks to wake up from sleep and then list the content in Finder, even when viewing directly on the SSD. Do you have a HD, in addition to your SSD? I couldn't locate that info in your profile.

Good luck.

I have the same issue here, the first time I open my finder, it loads about 20-30 seconds, after that it's fine.
I have not managed to solve the issue yet, I noticed that my drives (HDDs) go to sleep though.

My fix was to uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. (...) Do you have a HD, in addition to your SSD?

I tried it but it didn´t help. Still takes noticable 1-2 seconds to display finder icons on first callup. And yes, here are several HDs together with one SSD. 10.9.1 behaves the same. As if there is some kind of cache that certain system configurations are forgetting.

Yeah, I'm using an SSD, so the "put Hard drives to sleep" checkbox does nothing to fix the problem. 10.9.1 doesn't fix the problem either. I guess I'll just wait for 10.9.2 and hope that fixes it :)

I tried this from Apple support, basically you just have to delete finder preference in the library. I used
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist&&killall Finder in the terminal

Seems to be fixed now. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back