Contribute
Register

< Solved > The installer does not recognize the installation disk

You have to use Catalina when you configure your USB ports (if using that guide).

Yes.

An /EFI folder that is ok for Catalina may not work with Ventura, it depends on the boot loader version amongst other things. But it is a good starting point.

All right! thank you. I'm working on it.

Hey, this info could be useful.

I tried this test: I removed the NVMe with macOS BigSur working. Leave only the new NVMe drive (WD blue) empty and the ventura installer connected to the USB. As if I wanted to do a fresh install, with no other OS on the machine.

The EFI menu does not show up and instead it shows this:

bootfail.jpg

If I reinstall the NVMe drive with BigSur, the EFI menu appears again.

What does it mean? The EFI of the Ventura installer should be displayed, right?

Update. With te EFI provided by esafeddie, the USB installer starts. After two minutes with the apple logo and the progress bar this is shown:

otherfail.jpg

Hey, this info could be useful.

I tried this test: I removed the NVMe with macOS BigSur working. Leave only the new NVMe drive (WD blue) empty and the ventura installer connected to the USB. As if I wanted to do a fresh install, with no other OS on the machine.

The EFI menu does not show up and instead it shows this:

View attachment 566018

If I reinstall the NVMe drive with BigSur, the EFI menu appears again.

What does it mean? The EFI of the Ventura installer should be displayed, right?
you need to edit your config.plist to remove NvmExpressDxe.efi as mentioned in the image

Hi - As suggested Ive removed the NvmExpressDxe.efi as it is now built into OC. I replaced it with the NVMeFix.kext so give this EFI a try.

SOLVED

First of all, I owe you a huge apology. Every time before (except these last two) I was rebooting with the old EFI (the one on BigSur). Sorry for my ignorance, I did not remember that I had to indicate the boot disk in the BIOS.
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-24 a las 9.04.48.png

Now I am doing it correctly. I have started the USB installer with the different EFI resetting the nvram in all cases. The tests give these results:

1) Original EFI (running on BigSur): NVMe drives are not shown in the installer (original problem).

2) The last two EFIs you've given me (posts #24 and #35): The installer starts halfway and then shows the forbidden sign.

2) First EFI you've given me (post #10): Finally, this one seems to work! I can start the installer and choose the NVMe drives. But the nvram reset utility is not shown in the EFI menu (although it is in the OC tools folder). I can't reset the NVram in this case.

I have managed to install Ventura on the VNMe drive and it is working. I don't have enough words of gratitude for all the help received.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance
Not to worry, we've all been there at one time or another and making mistakes is how we learn. Happy you got it sorted. Enjoy. :thumbup:

PS - The EFI Folder you installed Ventura with, zip and upload it here and I or another member will fix the Nvram reset function not showing at the Boot Menu for you if you're not confident in doing it your self.

Last edited:
Not to worry, we've all been there at one time or another and making mistakes is how we learn. Happy you got it sorted. Enjoy. :thumbup:

PS - The EFI Folder you installed Ventura with, zip and upload it here and I or another member will fix the Nvram reset function not showing at the Boot Menu for you if you're not confident in doing it your self.

All right! Thank you. Here it is. It should be the same that the EFI in post #10

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Here you go, 'ResestNvramEntry.efi' added to Drivers Folder and should now be available in Boot Menu at a press of the Spacebar. No other alteration made so EFI is as you presented apart from that addition.
It works! With Nvram feature. Thank you.

Back