Contribute
Register

< Solved > The installer does not recognize the installation disk

Hi I've updated your EFI Folder with latest the OC and kext files versions, clear NvRAM at boot and try the attached EFI Folder on a test USB drive and see if you get an agreeable result. Good luck.

PS - Why two versions of USBInjectall.kext? Surely just the right one will suffice but if your system boots fine, I guess so be it.
Thank you so much! I don't really have the knowledge to build the EFI by myself. I just used hackinDROM tool.

by "test USB drive" you mean put this EFI in the USB Ventura installer, right?

Last edited:
Yes correct, but if you already have another working OS X USB drive don't destroy it with this EFI just keep that working one safe and use another spare USB drive (if you have one to hand). Good luck.

Bad news. After purchasing and installing a WD blue nvme the problem persists. I have disconnected all SATA drives to avoid confusion and this is the result.

Both nvme drives show up perfectly if I boot from BigSur (installed on one of them). This is what the disk utility looks like:

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-22 a las 20.15.54.png

But when rebooting from Ventura installer the disk utility doesn't recognize it, this is what it looks like:

DU.jpg

I also tried to see the volumes from diskutil, with the same result:

diskutil.jpg

How did you format the Drive? It must be formatted APFS GUID Partition Map.
That's the way it is, but even if it wasn't formatted that way it should show up in disk utility to be formatted.

So that I understand your setup, are you running any other OS X version or Windows (dual booting) on the system?
You must insure that the new NVMe drive is installed in the first slot directly under the CPU, also if you have any SSD drives connected, remove/disconnect the Sata cable from them until Ventura is installed.

So that I understand your setup, are you running any other OS X version or Windows (dual booting) on the system?
You must insure that the new NVMe drive is installed in the first slot directly under the CPU, also if you have any SSD drives connected, remove/disconnect the Sata cable from them until Ventura is installed.
Yes! I have two NVMe drives installed. First one with macOS BigSur and the second one empty. BigSur is in the first NVMe slot. There is no Windows nor other SO in the computer. I removed physically all SATA drives before running Ventura installer with same results. Both drives are visible if boot with BigSur and invisible if boot with Ventura installer USB.

Also I tried changing NVMEfix to false in config.plist with no luck.

Last edited:
Both drives are visible if boot with BigSur and invisible if boot with Ventura installer USB.
Then maybe your Installer USB is balked or try different USB Ports. One way to test if the Installer is suspect, if you still have the Big Sur Installer handy, use that to test to see the Nvme drive then you'll be able to determine if the fault lies with the Ventura USB Installer.

Then maybe your Installer USB is balked or try different USB Ports. One way to test if the Installer is suspect, if you still have the Big Sur Installer handy, use that to test to see the Nvme drive then you'll be able to determine if the fault lies with the Ventura USB Installer.
I'll give it a try, but it seems unlikely to me that the error is on the USB. The USB is the same one I used to install BigSur and it's connected to a USB port directly on the motherboard. The installer boots correctly from the USB.

In addition, there is another fact. When I tried to update BigSur to Monterrey the first time it failed halfway through the process. The reason must be the same: the installer couldn't find the drives. This same thing happened to me with my computer (Designare z390 + i7) and I have exactly the same problem with my son's computer (Aorus Pro z390 + i5). No USB was involved in those upgrade attempts. Those update attempts was made from system preferences.

Back