Contribute
Register

[Solved] 10.15.1, updated kexts, pastrychef-verified EFI, 5700XT freezes in OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and obviously a huge thank you to @pastrychef, @Gigamaxx, @nch107, @ModMike, and anyone else who contributed to solving this problem. @iDrakus and @azenvarn for verifying correct functionality on known-good hardware so I was forced to find the real problem. THANKS!

My next request: is there some way to monitor temps and actually get active fan controls working from within macos? I'm happy to pay for software if there is something, but I'm not sure where to look for that.

Sensor support will have to be added to VirtualSMC or FakeSMC. I don't know how to do this.

Oh, and obviously a huge thank you to @pastrychef, @Gigamaxx, @nch107, @ModMike, and anyone else who contributed to solving this problem. @iDrakus and @azenvarn for verifying correct functionality on known-good hardware so I was forced to find the real problem. THANKS!

If possible, please post the working EFI on post #1 for the benefit of others who may stumble on this thread in the future. Thanks.

Sensor support will have to be added to VirtualSMC or FakeSMC. I don't know how to do this.
If possible, please post the working EFI on post #1 for the benefit of others who may stumble on this thread in the future. Thanks.

I'll post the latest EFI tomorrow. I'm taking the night off. ;) I'll ping you when I post it so you can take one final look. Thanks!

Is there a resource you like about Fake/VirtualSMC? I'm happy to read up on it if it's a realistic endeavor. I'd like to monitor temps during long renders if possible, but if it's incredibly complicated, it may not be worth the effort.

I'll post the latest EFI tomorrow. I'm taking the night off. ;) I'll ping you when I post it so you can take one final look. Thanks!

Is there a resource you like about Fake/VirtualSMC? I'm happy to read up on it if it's a realistic endeavor. I'd like to monitor temps during long renders if possible, but if it's incredibly complicated, it may not be worth the effort.

I would just start by heading to the GitHub page for VirtualSMC...

I haven't tried the dynamic option yet; I'm just happy to be functional.

I spent the day playing with various hardware configurations using my mini-itx machine. It was my 9700K causing the problems. It ran on my mini-itx board without any modifications (which had a 9900K in it as a mini server). So, I started swapping components from the z390-i to the z390-e. RAM... still froze. That only left CPU or mobo. So I swapped the 9900K in to z390-e and was off to the races. I set it up as the iMac19,1 using the iGPU and haven't had any trouble since. I adjusted my fans in the BIOS, added the AI-overclock, and haven't seen any problems in the last three hours. I've hit it with geekbench, cinebench, valley, etc. Hackintool seems quite pleased and recognizes everything well.

I assume it's just this specific 9700K, but I've had it in various builds throughout the last year and didn't think it had problems. I even had it running a mojave build at one point - but I didn't use it much because... it was freezing. Derp.

So it seems like everyone has been correct. Running the latest kexts does seem to work great with the 5700XT. I just had a bad proc. :(

The processor is causing all those problems? Wow! So your 9700K is causing the freezing problem but your 9900K works normally?

I am currently using a 9900K and having the freezing problem. I wonder if the stepping of the processor is causing the problem. Do you know what is the stepping of your 9700K and 9900K? Or, is the 9700K purchased a long time ago but the 9900K is somehow new?

My 9900K was purchased right after it is released so it should be the old versioned. I don't know if it only works with the new versioned processor?

In Windows 10, I can control the fan speed through AMD's WattMan program. How can I do the same on macOS?

In Windows 10, I can control the fan speed through AMD's WattMan program. How can I do the same on macOS?

Softpowerplaytables. But nobody has down it yet. For the Vegas we have VGATab but the Navi is running in a new set of kexts so it will need a new process.

@pastrychef & @piano08man My apologies, I have been out of the country for the last week and half and didnt even realize how big of a thread was created. So did you end up solving the issue with our mobo asus z390 e gaming with the 5700xt? (Yes, one is MSI and the other is Sapphire).

Im confused as to why it was freezing?!?! what solution did you guys come up with?

@pastrychef & @piano08man My apologies, I have been out of the country for the last week and half and didnt even realize how big of a thread was created. So did you end up solving the issue with our mobo asus z390 e gaming with the 5700xt? (Yes, one is MSI and the other is Sapphire).

Im confused as to why it was freezing?!?! what solution did you guys come up with?

The other guys got their cards running stable. The one guy who had freezing problems figured out it was because of his CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back