Contribute
Register

[Solved] 10.15.1, updated kexts, pastrychef-verified EFI, 5700XT freezes in OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to run 18,3 or will 19,1 be okay?

Either one is fine. Once you've changed system definition, you should install video card. You should not have been trying to use iMac18,3 with IGPU.

Well, I've been at the Apple loading screen with that configuration for 5+ minutes. the progress bar is 80% complete and just sits there. What I did: used the ZIP you gave me, loaded it to the SSD, updated the model to 19,1 and got the rest of the iCloud stuff working. Rebooted into macos, no trouble found. Shutdown. Add the 5700XT in the top slot. Load up the BIOS, switch to PCIE graphics. Rebooted and plugged the display port cable into the 5700XT. Bootloader comes up as normal, apple logo comes up normal. That's all I get. After about 10 minutes or so, the computer rebooted before finishing the loading screen. I assume I need to boot in verbose at this point? However, I have no idea what I'm looking for there. Again, thank you for your assistance!

Well, I've been at the Apple loading screen with that configuration for 5+ minutes. the progress bar is 80% complete and just sits there. What I did: used the ZIP you gave me, loaded it to the SSD, updated the model to 19,1 and got the rest of the iCloud stuff working. Rebooted into macos, no trouble found. Shutdown. Add the 5700XT in the top slot. Load up the BIOS, switch to PCIE graphics. Rebooted and plugged the display port cable into the 5700XT. Bootloader comes up as normal, apple logo comes up normal. That's all I get. After about 10 minutes or so, the computer rebooted before finishing the loading screen. I assume I need to boot in verbose at this point? However, I have no idea what I'm looking for there. Again, thank you for your assistance!

Yes, boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it stops. If it disappears too fast, you can make a video and pan through it an post the important part.

You did update macOS to 10.15.1, correct?

Verbose halt area attached. If it makes any difference, it's stopped at this same point every time I've booted verbose with the DGPU. Nothing prints after this - the computer reboots after getting stuck there for 5+ minutes. Even with different EFI folders.

Attachments

• 2019-10-31 16.49.49.jpg
    2019-10-31 16.49.49.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
Verbose halt area attached. If it makes any difference, it's stopped at this same point every time I've booted verbose with the DGPU. Nothing prints after this - the computer reboots after getting stuck there for 5+ minutes. Even with different EFI folders.

That's a graphics error.

Please try the following:
  1. Make backups of everything.
  2. Replace your EFI with the one attached to this post.
  3. Reboot and go in to BIOS.
  4. Disable IGPU.
  5. Boot in to Clover.

Attachments

• EFI-catalinaIGPU-modified-bootable.zip
    23 MB · Views: 99
What I did: replaced EFI on the install USB, changed BIOS graphics settings to the picture attached, set boot option 1 to USB, disabled boot option 2 (ssd boot). Booted into clover, selected verbose boot to the ssd. I'm still hanging in the same spot. It was my understanding that I wouldn't need to change the EFI of the ssd, since it's using clover from the USB drive. Is that correct? Or do I need to get that version of EFI onto the SSD and try again? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2019-10-31 17.09.58.jpg
    2019-10-31 17.09.58.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
What I did: replaced EFI on the install USB, changed BIOS graphics settings to the picture attached, set boot option 1 to USB, disabled boot option 2 (ssd boot). Booted into clover, selected verbose boot to the ssd. I'm still hanging in the same spot. It was my understanding that I wouldn't need to change the EFI of the ssd, since it's using clover from the USB drive. Is that correct? Or do I need to get that version of EFI onto the SSD and try again? Thanks.

Please try adding the following boot argument to your config.plist.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.29.32 PM.png

What I did: mounted the usb installer EFI partition, clicked the home icon, opened config.plist, selected Boot, replaced "keepsyms=1" with "agdpmod=pikera", file > save, unmount, eject, and booted back to the usb, selected the ssd os, same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back