Contribute
Register

Sleep is sometimes followed by an instant wake-up. Ideas how to solve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5 3570K 3.4 GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti OC 1 GByte
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I am running my first Hackintosh build and I can say it is at least 95-98% working as it is supposed to.
Here is my main concern:

Sometimes (but not always) when the computer goes to sleep (manual or auto-sleep) it instantly wakes up after just one second or so. It's been like this since day one (in January 2013).
Once it is asleep, it will not wake up until I press the power button or hit any key/klick my mouse three times. Just like it should.

I have not been able to find the reason.

Here is my setup (I'm currently running OS X 10.8.3):

• Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, BIOS F9, settings according to Tonymac's guide
  • CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 3400 MHz
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GByte (2x8 GByte) @ 1600 MHz
  • CPU: Gigabyte GeForce 650 Ti 1GByte OC (Nvidia Drivers under 10.8.2, native support since 10.8.3), latest CUDA-Driver
  • DVD-Drive: Sony Optiarc
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TByte, 5400 rpm, connected via S-ATA II
  • Bluetooth: Belkin BT Dongle F8T016ng (no extra driver) [Current suspect!]
  • System definition: iMac 13,1 (I used MacPro 3,1 before showing same phenomenon)

Bootloader: Chimera v.2.0.1
  • GraphicsEnabler=No
  • darkwake=No
  • Graphics Mode=1920x1080x32

Peripherals:
  • Wired Ethernet connection
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard and MightyMouse Wireless (Bluetooth)
  • Wired USB mouse: Sharkoon FireGlider (no extra driver)
  • Dell 23" Screen (DVI-Connection)
  • Webcam Logitech C270 (no extra driver)

Wake-on-Lan is 'off'.
Auto-sleep is set to 15 mins.
Boot and shutdown work fine.

I have divided the HDD into two partitions (GPT) one for OS X, the other one for Windows 7.
Multiboot works fine. Windows doesn't show this strange behaviour...

Does anyone have an idea, why sleep sometimes works as it should, but sometimes I get an instant wake up?

Could it have something to do with the old BIOS (F9 is the latest version)? I would doubt it...
Edit: Updated Bios to F9. No change.

I am thankful for any help you guys might have fro me.

Things I've tried:
  • BIOS is now F9=latest version [doesn't fix problem]
  • Updated Chimera to v.2.0.1 (from Multibeast 5.3.0) [doesn't fix problem]
  • Changed to "Darkwake=No" [doesn't fix problem]
  • Unplugged the BT dongle [might fix it, need to observe a little longer]

Really, am I the only one who how is experiencing this issue?
Or is it to complex to address?

It is somewhat annoying to see your computer wake up after you have told it to sleep.
I also wonder if it might do harm to some parts.

I am thankful for ever hint or shared experience...:crazy:

No you are not the only one ... I think we all have this problem, but I think we are fed up with it ...
But these sleep and wake up problems are the ones that are very difficult to solve - so think I. But to give you an idea how to solve it, I can only start a discussion with you to give you some ideas:
- first of all I would check the HCL-list of your operating system and motherboard, you can find that with the keywords HCL and mountain lion, here you can check your motherboard is or is not able to do a correct sleep and wake up - if not, just forget it !
- in a second step I would disconnect all external usb devices to check the behaviour of your system, it seems that one component is hindering the sleep mode (because it wakes up after a second).
- if you have found the component - substitute it with one that is working correctly with your system, that is the cheapest way.
- and of course the new definitions (13,2) could be a reason for this behavior
- and also software updates are changing the system behavior. example: in 10.8.3 iMovie is no more crashing, but my DVD-drive spindle up and down automatically (it is solved with putting in a data-CDROM/DVD).

Best regards ... and good luck !

Hey kaithefinn,

thank you for your attempt to help me solving my problem. I believe it brought me closer to the solution:

- first of all I would check the HCL-list of your operating system and motherboard, you can find that with the keywords HCL and mountain lion, here you can check your motherboard is or is not able to do a correct sleep and wake up - if not, just forget it !

I have checked a number of lists and could not find any hint suggesting that my GA-Z77-DS3H might have a general issue that is preventing a normal sleep/wake behaviour.

- in a second step I would disconnect all external usb devices to check the behaviour of your system, it seems that one component is hindering the sleep mode (because it wakes up after a second).
- if you have found the component - substitute it with one that is working correctly with your system, that is the cheapest way.

I believe I have tracked the issue down to my Belkin Bluetooth dongle. When it's unplugged, sleep seems to work as intended and the computer won't wake up a second later.
I will allow a little more time to observe it but I feel positive to have found the reason.

Now I have to find a substitute for my current dongle. Does anyone have a suggestion?
The IOGear GBU521 seems to have a good reputation. Can anybody confirm that sleep/wake is working well and as intended with this one?
I would have to order it on eBay from the States, since it isn't available here in Europe, but if this fixes my problem, I would be happy to do so...

I believe I have tracked the issue down to my Belkin Bluetooth dongle. When it's unplugged, sleep seems to work as intended and the computer won't wake up a second later.
I will allow a little more time to observe it but I feel positive to have found the reason.

Now I have to find a substitute for my current dongle. Does anyone have a suggestion?
The IOGear GBU521 seems to have a good reputation. Can anybody confirm that sleep/wake is working well and as intended with this one?
I would have to order it on eBay from the States, since it isn't available here in Europe, but if this fixes my problem, I would be happy to do so...

I have ordered the IOGear GBU521 now, hoping that shipping from the US to Europe won't take too long.

I'll share my experience once it's here.

This might be a bit late for you. I live in Europe and use this model:

Belkin F8T016cw

Its a bluetooth 2.1 mini USB adaptor and it works brilliantly. It costs less in Europe than the IO Gear. I bought mine from Amazon in 2010 - its still available.

Sorry for the late reply.

Really, am I the only one who how is experiencing this issue?
Or is it to complex to address?

There are so many posts on this web site that tonymac created a sticky to help everyone. A search of this site would have turned up many results and for you to post this phrase shows that you are not utilizing all the help that is available to you.... to put it politely.

Try this one:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/1078-sleep-general-troubleshooting-tips.html

It has 23 pages, 222 posts and 76,000 views.

I had the same problem. It is indeed your Bluetooth dongle. IO makes a better compatible 4.0 USB dongle (link below.) If you can't order one, or you need the one you have to work and sleep properly, Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Advanced and turn off "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake this Computer." This is a work around for the instant wake bug in Yosemite 10.10.2. See attached screenshot. Just be aware you'll have to wake the system with the power button.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425063268&sr=8-1&keywords=io+bluetooth+dongle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 10.47.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 10.47.38 AM.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 340
I had the same problem. It is indeed your Bluetooth dongle. IO makes a better compatible 4.0 USB dongle (link below.) If you can't order one, or you need the one you have to work and sleep properly, Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Advanced and turn off "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake this Computer." This is a work around for the instant wake bug in Yosemite 10.10.2. See attached screenshot. Just be aware you'll have to wake the system with the power button.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425063268&sr=8-1&keywords=io+bluetooth+dongle

Hi jrwadf1435

Thanks for your input on this problem. Your solution worked for me :thumbup:

Having used this model BT adapter (the BT v4.0 Belkin model) and not having any problems with instant waking from sleep on previous builds it never occurred to me that this may be the solution.

But it is, so again a big THANK YOU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back