Contribute
Register

Should I move kexts from SLE to LE, or to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete these from S/L/E. After you upgrade to El Capitan, use the post install essentials to re-install them. BTW they will be installed in L/E.

So, even though in Yosemite I need the FakeSMC kext, the first boot into El Capitan will work without itso that I have a chance to install itinto L/E?

And, I see that NullCPUPowerManagement, which I needed under Yosemite (otherwise my DSDT-less system would hang after a minute or so) isn't in the Post-Install tools - so really the ONLY kext a Hackintosh needs is FakeSMC?

Just making sure - ending up with a system that won't boot is a hassle!

(By the way, a slight discrepancy - http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...rect-update-os-x-el-capitan-using-clover.html says to put FakeSMC into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/, but the El Capitan Post-Install Tools will install it to L/E. People might end up with two copies of the kext.)

FakeSMC is the only kext that's universally required.

Some machines require additional ones for full functionality, such as network and audio drivers. In El Capitan, many people use a kext to help enable full USB functionality.

NullCPUPowerManagement can be used in many cases, but can normally be replaced by configuring proper CPU power saving (e.g. with an SSDT for the CPU).

You cannot boot without FakeSMC, so you can boot with a USB install drive that includes it, then install it to your system drive (either EFI/CLOVER/kexts/... or /L/E or /S/L/E) and then reboot without the USB drive. But if you ever try to boot without it installed anywhere, the machine will hang. (Solution: boot with the USB that has it again.)

There is some debate about the "best" place to put kexts, as you have surely noticed. They generally just need to be in one, and generally having them in in both Extensions and EFI doesn't hurt, except insofar as you can confuse yourself by putting a new version in the place that's not being used or whatever. If you have copies in both, which gets used depends on the InjectKexts setting in your config.plist.

I think these are all of the Hackintosh-specific kexts on my computer:

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
VoodooHDA.kext

So I copied them from S/L/E to CLOVER/kexts/10.10, then I moved the originals from S/L/E to S/L/E/moved (a new subdirectory I created where I hope the system won't find them, but I can easily put them back just in case).

I rebooted and everything seems to work fine - except sound. Is VoodooHDA one of the kexts that RehabMan referred to, that won't work from the Clover's kexts directory? (The moment I copied VoodooHDA.kext into L/E, audio worked again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back