Contribute
Register

Should I move kexts from SLE to LE, or to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. PowerBook
  8. SE
  9. SE/30
I'm running Yosemite under UEFI with Clover. I want to upgrade to El Capitan.

I have a few kexts in /System/Library/Extensions that I need: FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, EvOreboot.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, &c.

If I simply move them to /Library/Extensions, will everything work now and after the upgrade? Or do I need to put them into /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and .../10.11?

I see upgrade guides that talk about putting FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement into CLOVER/kexts, but they don't mention Voodoo - why not? Is Voodoo not necessary or does it not work under ElCap?

I'm running Yosemite under UEFI with Clover. I want to upgrade to El Capitan.

I have a few kexts in /System/Library/Extensions that I need: FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, EvOreboot.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, &c.

If I simply move them to /Library/Extensions, will everything work now and after the upgrade? Or do I need to put them into /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and .../10.11?

I see upgrade guides that talk about putting FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement into CLOVER/kexts, but they don't mention Voodoo - why not? Is Voodoo not necessary or does it not work under ElCap?

Delete these from S/L/E. After you upgrade to El Capitan, use the post install essentials to re-install them. BTW they will be installed in L/E.

Hi, i have the same problem. I'm not really into this kext-thing. I want to switch from Chimera/Yosemite to El Capitain using this preparation guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/171680-clover-basics-switching-advice.html

"8. Delete these kexts from /System/Library/Extensions or copy them to /Library/Extensions/"

I am not sure about Step 8. Is it enough to copy the kexts or should they be installed or just delete?

FYI, EvOreboot will most likely crash El Capitan if it tries to load it, so I would definitely remove that one.

PJALM, I didn't realize that you could leave SIP enabled if your only custom kexts were injected. That's pretty interesting.

Why would you ever put kexts in S/L/E or even L/E? Doing so requires you to disable SIP, use Clover's kext injection.

Some kexts do not work from EFI/Clover/kexts with Clover's kext injection.

In addition, I like the additional checks that kextcache makes when kexts are installed to /S/L/E. It can avoid a lot of head scratching (my head is bald enough). Of course, that may not be a concern for those that don't develop kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back