Contribute
Register

Setup Guide for Gigabyte BRIX and BRIX Pro using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to note some of the issues with the config.plist in the first post of this thread and the latest version of Clover. These edits allow you to open and edit your config.plist in Clover Configurator.

First change is the graphics section. You need to change to the following:
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <true/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0D220003</string>
    </dict>

Note in the following section. Under the <key> entry it needs to be <data> otherwise it gives the following error.

Code:
2:504  0:682  KextToPatch 3: IOAHCIBlockStorage (Enable SSD Trim) Kext bin patch[ERROR] bin2hex 'QVBQTEUgU1NEAA==' syntax error
3:187  0:682  [ERROR] bin2hex 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAA==' syntax error

Here is the corrected code:
Code:
			<dict>				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Enable SSD Trim</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>4150504c 45205353 44</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>00000000 00000000 00</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Enable SSD Trim</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>QVBQTEUgU1NEAA==</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

Here are some other errors:
Code:
20:088  0:170  ** Warning: ignoring RtVariable MountEFI set in config.plist: deprecated !
20:259  0:170  ** Warning: ignoring RtVariable LogLineCount set in config.plist: deprecated !
20:429  0:170  ** Warning: ignoring RtVariable LogEveryBoot set in config.plist: deprecated !

You need to remove the RtVariables like so:
Code:
        <key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
    </dict>

Now use Clover Configurator to generate your SMBIOS section to get iMessage working.
SMBIOS.png

I already updated the bios to F5 version and disabled the CFG lock, but I am still cannot get into the installer, a reboot after apple logo appeared for 10 seconds. I am using clover and legacy. any suggestions? My brix is i7 4500u version.

I am on the 4570r Brix and honestly haven't done anything differently from the Mavericks install other than the HDMI audio fix that HeadKaze posted for my install to be fully functional. There have been some arrogant mods here that don't want to help, they just want to feel superior so I wouldn't hold your breath on them helping you. I would try creating the installer again and make sure you aren't missing any steps. One mistake I kept missing randomly was the drive to boot from, so make sure you are setting that to your usb drive in your bios. I will try to help you as much as i can because i know how frustrating it can be to come to these forums and not get any help or be talked down to.

I am on the 4570r Brix and honestly haven't done anything differently from the Mavericks install other than the HDMI audio fix that HeadKaze posted for my install to be fully functional. There have been some arrogant mods here that don't want to help, they just want to feel superior so I wouldn't hold your breath on them helping you. I would try creating the installer again and make sure you aren't missing any steps. One mistake I kept missing randomly was the drive to boot from, so make sure you are setting that to your usb drive in your bios. I will try to help you as much as i can because i know how frustrating it can be to come to these forums and not get any help or be talked down to.
Thanks for your reply, I will try to create the bootable usb stick again, I already set to boot from USB legacy

all working fine for me even with 10.10. I just replaced the internal wifi card by one of the recommended cards as well as a BT 4.0 stick. I did not dig too much into getting iMessage working. One question I have is whether one got a 4k monitor like the Samsung U28D590 working with that Iris Pro graphic card inside the i7.

I can only get
2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz working with HDMI and miniDP. I am wondering whether I can set some special options to get 4k working as well because this card supports 4k resolution according to the data sheet Gigabyte provided. (and the Samsung monitor does as well)

4k monitor like the Samsung U28D590 working with that Iris Pro graphic card inside the i7.

I can only get
2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz working with HDMI and miniDP.

One Question that might help me clarifying what is going wrong:

In post http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-brix-brix-pro-using-clover-5.html#post891597 the GC is mentioned as "Intel HD Graphics 5200: Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 5200".

But I see here:

Code:
[B]Intel Iris Pro:[/B]

Chipsatz-Modell:    Intel Iris Pro
  Typ:    GPU
  Bus:    Integriert
  VRAM (dynamisch, maximal):    1536 MB
  Hersteller:    Intel (0x8086)
  Geräte-ID:    0x0d22
  Versions-ID:    0x0008
  Monitore:
[B]U28D590:[/B]
  Auflösung:    2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
  Pixeltiefe:    32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
  Monitor-Seriennummer:    H4MF601262  
  Synchronisierung:    Aus
  Eingeschaltet:    Ja
  Rotation:    Unterstützt
  Fernseher:    Ja
[B]U28D590:[/B]
  Auflösung:    2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
  Pixeltiefe:    32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
  Hauptmonitor:    Ja
  Synchronisierung:    Aus
  Eingeschaltet:    Ja
  Rotation:    Unterstützt
  Verbindungstyp:    DisplayPort

Maybe I need to do something to have my card displayed as "Intel HD Graphics 5200" as well.

Can one confirm that and tell me how to do it?

Can someone confirm whether this guide works for the i3 BRIX with HD4400 graphics or is it just the IRIS Graphics BRIX that are working?

I don't know about the i3 but I played a bit around with my configuration.

The patched driver makes the card be displayed as "Intel HD Graphics 5200". Using the unpatched driver shows it as Iris. Bu there is no difference for graphic options.

BTW, my friend's late 2013 MBP with advanced GPU option can make the monitor display the full 4k in a Retina like mode. But "About This Mac" shows that the monitor his connected to the NVIDIA card, not to Intel.

Mac Tracker says that this MBP includes an "Intel Iris Pro 5200 (2.0 GHz)" or "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and Intel Iris Pro 5200 (2.3 and 2.6 GHz)". Would be interesting to know whether the small MBP can use full 4k of a 4K monitor as well.

Just in case all one need to have is to use the full 4k with very small pixel but than without Retina, the Samsung monitor can do Picture By Picture and display the HDMI port and the miniDP port at 1920x2160 pics each. This together with disabling "Each monitor has a different space" under "Mission Control" settings makes it very much behaving as one big screen even the dock is not exactly at the middle. But why not placing it left? I do not remember about the menu bar. But still than we have very small pixel and the goal is to have a Retina like display and not much space. But anyway, it seems to me that Samsung does a very good job in scaling and 2560x1440 have a very good quality.

I also tried to mace my hackmac a different iMac or Macbook Pro by editing the Clover settings with Clover Config. But all this does not seem to have any impact. Forcing some resolution via SwitchResX4 or Display Maestro didn't work as well.

I guess the problem with 4k is addressed in http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/144351-guide-dell-xps-9530-a.html#post905621 and means that /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit must be modified to allow using the the HDMI port using full speed. Unfortunately I didn't get the signing working. So even the 10.10 version of the perl patch command did not work for me. Also modifying IOKit directly is a very bad idea because after it is modified next to nothing works any more because the signature is broken. So maybe this binary must be modified and signed at a different place first before replacing the original one. I just don't have the experiences to know how to do it.

Edit: Maybe I used the wrong perl command. The post shows a SPACE in "\x C0" which is only in the display version of the post, if you reply by using the "quote" button, it is removed. This will explain why my patched version is 3 byte bigger than the unpatched.

Edit: I tried it out but I could not get 4k working. What I did was:

$ mkdir -p ~/src/IOKit_test
$ cd ~/src/IOKit_test
$ cp /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit .
$ ls -l
## there are no wide spaces in this command
$ perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' IOKit
$ ll
total 5568
-rwxr-xr-x 1 someone staff 1421440 Nov 10 12:29 IOKit
-rwxr-xr-x 1 someone staff 1421440 Nov 10 12:28 IOKit.bak
$ md5 *
MD5 (IOKit) = 8756e20f979c9e74c80f07b452ebfadd
MD5 (IOKit.bak) = 2a8cbc2f6616d3f7a5e499bd2d5593ab
$ codesign -f -s - IOKit
IOKit: replacing existing signature
$ sudo cp IOKit /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit

So maybe we need another command to patch or this is unrelated.

Edit2: https://code.google.com/r/mmc227-mac-pixel-clock-patch/source/browse/macPixelClockPatcher.command contains 10.10 examples even it in-place-patches and is not signing what crashed my computer the first time. So I guess it kill the system without patching on a different place and signing. But at least I have some perl examples for what to replace under 10.10.

Question is how do I find out whether it really is that my HDMI/miniDP is not recognized as being 4k compatible to know whether I have to patch it at all? Maybe the monitor is just not recognized correctly and I have to change this or it is something completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back