Contribute
Register

Security updates 2017-001 killed my working Sierra? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I can boot from my CCC backup drive.
If you run Kext Wizard from the backup you should be able to replace any Kexts if needed and Rebuild and repair Kext cache as there is a choice of disk to target at the bottom of the Kext Wizard app.
I can't try this right now as I'm just leaving for work - but will be trying this method later.

If you run Kext Wizard from the backup you should be able to replace any Kexts if needed and Rebuild and repair Kext cache as there is a choice of disk to target at the bottom of the Kext Wizard app.
I can't try this right now as I'm just leaving for work - but will be trying this method later.
I'm showing a possible positive for Kext Wizard with virus total:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...b34e27eb36310ef613e55219e3d1b61c53d/analysis/
Is there another option for making changes on a different boot drive?

I was having this exact same problem, and actually managed to fix it pretty easily. Here's how:
I booted into safe mode, via Clover, and downloaded the updated Nvidia driver for 10.12.6 . Here's the link:
https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.25f03.pkg
Once this installed, I restarted, and everything worked like it did before the security update. Woo!! I got scared for a minute.

I didn't have to mess around with S/L/E or kext wizard, or anything else.
Hope this helps.

@ziggenpuss - did you get a chance to try this?

And as you're running a 1080Ti, you got the same exact error with NVDAStartup.kext as I did, but ... you didn't replace it with the El Capitan version like I did (with my older GTX-285)?

I was having this exact same problem, and actually managed to fix it pretty easily. Here's how:
I booted into safe mode, via Clover, and downloaded the updated Nvidia driver for 10.12.6 . Here's the link:
Once this installed, I restarted, and everything worked like it did before the security update. Woo!! I got scared for a minute.

Hope this helps.
@jacobsilver- I'm confused - your card is a GTX 1070, but you got the same exact error with NVDAStartup.kext even though you didn't replace it with the El Capitan version like I did (with my older GTX-285)?

And had you always been running the nVidia WebDriver? I never got the version specific to my version of Sierra to work, so I was just using the included legacy nVidia drivers in Sierra.

BTW - I can't boot using safe mode. When in safe mode, the last error is about com.apple.driver.ApplePlatformEnabler failing to load.

The security update borked my 10.12.6, too. What I had to do to get it to work was boot from an external USB (SafeMode would work, too) update Clover, download and install the latest Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFix.kext in Clover/Kexts/Other and EmuVariableUefi in /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI. Afterwards you can install the latest NvidiaWeb driver.

As far as I know, you should set InjectNvidia=false, instead utilizing the System Parameter NVidiaWeb (see https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SystemParameters).

Best of luck!
Pato

Hope this helps.

This worked for me too. I only had to install audio driver again with multibeast.

I had to install new Nvidia drivers. However, if I open iTunes, Safari or Xcode my mac freeze for a few seconds before I get a black screen and it reboots. Anyone know a solution?

Update: I continued to debug. When booting, the process went into what seemed like a loop when trying to repair the Sierra volume. After I tried that a few times I went into single mode and tried "/sbin/fsck -fy" with no success. Tried to boot from a backup that worked fine and was about to restore from that, but I could not mount or write to the Sierra volume.

I went into single user mode again and tried "/sbin/mount -uw /" and was able to mount the Sierra Volume. Then I created a file (touch test) and it worked. Then I removed it and entered "exit" and I saw a message about removed orphan files. Very strange, but after that it booted up and everything have worked perfectly fine. I'm also able to use Safari, iTunes and Xcode again :headbang:

Last edited:
This update is causing problems with my OEM MacBook air. Thank God I haven't Hackintoshed my desktop yet or both might be having these problems. I am having file system and graphics issues. Can I reverse this "upgrade"? If so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back