Contribute
Register

Security updates 2017-001 killed my working Sierra? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just installed today's updates for Sierra. I believe they were the security fix for the KRACK wifi explot, iTunes and Safari.

I'm getting this 100% repeatable crash that seems to involve the nvidia driver.

I don't have the nvidia drivers for Sierra installed.

I'm running an older GTX-285. To get this to run I had to:
1. set InjectNvidia=true - make sure nv_disable=1 is DELETED, you don't want to disable nVidia
2. delete NVDAStartup.kext in System/Libraries/Extensions
3. install NVDAStartup.kext from 10.11 using KextBeast into System/Libraries/Extensions

and I use two 2560 x 1440 monitors.

All of the steps to get this working are outlined in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-ga-z270xp-sli-i7-7700k-samsung-960-pro-10-12-6.228981/

I though security fixes were safe? I do dual boot so I can boot up from another drive that has a carbon copy of my main 960 Pro drive.

I'm not sure how to proceed?

As I did replace 10.12 NVDAStartup.kext with the version from 10.11, how can I install the 10.11 version of NVDAStartup.kext on my 960 Pro drive (that won't boot) by booting up from my working carbon copy hard drive? Or, is it complaining about my 10.12 version - and will no longer run with that version of the kext in place?

hack crash after security update.PNG

I booted up from a carbon copy of Sierra on another drive.

NVDAStartup.kext in System/Libraries/Extensions has not changed, it's the same version.

I tried disabling nvidia inject using Clover, but then I just get a restart without any verbose error messages.

I don't know how to proceed?

Hello,
I had the same problem with my Samsung 950.
You must remove IONVMeFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
I then had to install new Nvidia web drivers.
Good Luck
I was not aware that Sierra implemented NVMe? I think it's only High Sierra?

And as I mentioned, I never installed the nVidia web drivers (I believe I tried, but even though they claimed to support the GTX-285, I could never get them to work).

Are you saying that you got the same crash report, mentioning specifically NVDAStartup.kext - and that removing the IONVMeFamily.kext fixed that problem?

Also, I can't boot from 960 Pro now. I can boot from a hard drive, but ... if I just delete a kext on the 960 (when not booted from the 960), how do I tell OS X on the 960 to refresh the caches, or whatever magic must be done when adding or removing kexts?

My Sierra install also stopped working after installing Security Update 2017-001 10.12.6
No crash. The boot progress bar stops right before where usually the login screen opens.
This is on Sierra 10.12.6 with Clover 4243 on GA-Z170X-UD3 TH

Any suggestions?

I had to remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to stop kernel panic when loading NVDAStartup.kext. My config is above. Hope it helps.

Nvidia GTX260

PS For 285. You can try new drivers https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.25f03.pkg

Were you also using NVDAStartup.kext from 10.11, with the same crash report as in my first post?

How do I remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext without causing damage? I can boot up using another drive and easily remove it, but ... aren't there some other steps to refresh the kext caches? I don't know how to do those steps on a drive that isn't the boot drive?

Also, did you mean to load your config in this thread when you said 'My config is above'?

And, are you using the nVidia Web drivers? I'm not using any nVidia drivers that didn't come with Sierra (except for the NVDAStartup.kext from 10.11).

I don't care about power management for my graphics card. Everything works just fine without it. I did not have to make changes to nvdastatup.kext. Boot with nv_disable=1, make changes - you can rename kext to kext.noload or whatever if you prefer, update system cash manually or using kext utility.

PS Config screen capture did not load for whatever reason so I added my graphic card info as the only really relevant info.

PSS I can't use new web drivers b/c I have GTX 260. Since you are using GTX285 you should. be able to load new drivers I posted - another, and perhaps a better option for you. If you don't like them just boot in SVGA mode again and uninstall.

Clover config to boot in SVGA:
<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>-v darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 nv_disable=1 </string>

</dict>

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>ATI</key>

<false/>

<key>Intel</key>

<false/>

<key>NVidia</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>NvidiaGeneric</key>

<true/>

<key>NvidiaSingle</key>

<false/>

</dict>

Hope this helps. GL

Last edited:
HighSierraWannabe have you fixed this? I've got exactly the same problem and same startup screen.. :(
On another thread, LunchBlunder said "Same here, the 2017-001 Security Update killed the El Capitan NVDAStartup.kext. But re-installing the kext with Kext Wizard and rebuilding the kext cache made it right again."

But, I don't know how to fix a kext using Kext Wizard unless it is on the drive I'm booting from? I can't boot from my main drive anymore due to the NVDAStartup.kext crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back