Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
I picked up a Samsung 970 EVO m.2 NVME SSD 250GB for $109 US today. It works well in High Sierra.

It is rated at 2500 read and 1500 write. But I'm getting 2900 read and 1400 write.
The 500GB model specs at 3500 read and 2500 write. This is a great buy and its actually less expensive than the 960 EVO M.2 drives.

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 11.26.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Nice find! Newegg has it for $110 USD with free shipping.

Nice find! Newegg has it for $110 USD with free shipping.

The 500 gb model should be real nice. They are rated at 30% increases performance over the 960 NVME. 3000/2500 for less than the last model thIs is great.

Hi.
Tell me please, installation without problems?

This really works faster, than on SATA connection?

Thanks.

In High Sierra I did not need any fixes, just used my 2.5” SSD drive to clone copy to NVMe then installed clover using NVMe as target drive (you could also use MultiBeast) and then copied my config.plist and Kexts folder to new drive. And apfs in drivers64efi folder. It was as simple as any standard drive install I’ve done before.

I did have to format it like a normal drive but once I did the system recognized it natively.

This is for High Sierra - older software will probably require fixes.

In High Sierra I did not need any fixes, just used my 2.5” SSD drive to clone copy to NVMe then installed clover using NVMe as target drive (you could also use MultiBeast) and then copied my config.plist and Kexts folder to new drive. And apfs in drivers64efi folder. It was as simple as any standard drive install I’ve done before.

I did have to format it like a normal drive but once I did the system recognized it natively.

I used the same procedure for a Samsung 960 NVME m.2 and no issues. Its actually faster than my Samsung 850 pro that I using previously. I'll add that I'm running HFS+ rather than APFS.

Just cloned High Sierra from Kingston 200V to 970 EVO.
CCC won't restore EFI to the new disk which is formatted to APFS.
Need to reinstall Clover but too many glitches.
Finally just do a clean install but boy the 500G is really fast.
Write 2380, read 3041

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 11.39.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 11.39.14 PM.png
    686.5 KB · Views: 2,101
Just cloned High Sierra from Kingston 200V to 970 EVO.
CCC won't restore EFI to the new disk which is formatted to APFS.
Need to reinstall Clover but too many glitches.
Finally just do a clean install but boy the 500G is really fast.
Write 2380, read 3041

Hi tanelmo,

Can you confirm the 970 EVO m.2 NVME 500 GB working with any problem ?

Last edited:
Hi tanelmo,

Can you confirm the 970 EVO m.2 NVME 500 GB working with any problem ?

Been running for over 2 weeks. So far it's working great.
I first installed high sierra on a old SSD for test installation.
Then I added 970 EVO for cloning. Disk Utility recognised the disk and formatted to APFS.

Been running for over 2 weeks. So far it's working great.
I first installed high sierra on a old SSD for test installation.
Then I added 970 EVO for cloning. Disk Utility recognised the disk and formatted to APFS.

SO both of you guys were able to install High Sierra without faults or problems related to this SSD, right?

Cause it's been common knowledge that they have been problematic for a while.

I just need solid confirmation cause I'm about to order them.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back