Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm planning to get the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe, I understand read/write speeds are excellent, but what about boot times in macOS? How long does it take to boot into macOS login screen?

Hey, I'm planning to get the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe, I understand read/write speeds are excellent, but what about boot times in macOS? How long does it take to boot into macOS login screen?

It depends which boot loader you are using and how well your system will be configured. And to be honest, boot time is kinda irrelevant. Fast and stable system is the most important.

It depends which boot loader you are using and how well your system will be configured. And to be honest, boot time is kinda irrelevant. Fast and stable system is the most important.
And do you think this SSD contributes for a fast and stable system?
Supposing I use lastest version of OpenCore how long will it take for it to boot? I'm asking this because I've heard people complaining about Samsung SSDs taking longer to boot therefore I am considering to go for a different SSD.

And do you think this SSD contributes for a fast and stable system?
Supposing I use lastest version of OpenCore how long will it take for it to boot? I'm asking this because I've heard people complaining about Samsung SSDs taking longer to boot therefore I am considering to go for a different SSD.

There is no one simple answer to your question you have asked earlier. You mentioned the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe, not a regular SATA SSD. "NVM Express allows host hardware and software to fully exploit the levels of parallelism possible in modern SSDs". NVM Express provides speed that's not available for regular SATA SSD.

But in general, yes, SSD provides faster and stable system than HDD, no reason to deny that.

As usual, it depends a lot which motherboard you are using, bad configuration can harm the performance for sure. Properly installed NVM Express SSD outperforms SATA SSD. And once again, boot time is actually irrelevant. It really doesn't matter if it boots faster or not. If your system boots extremely slow, then you have done something wrong.For example Gigabyte Z390 Designare with Samsung EVO 970 2TB works brilliantly.

You are asking wrong question actually. Instead you should ask which hardware combo performs best on macOS. You can have the world best NVMe SSD disk but on badly chosen motherboard it might become useless.

Reactions: nss
There is no one simple answer to your question you have asked earlier. You mentioned the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe, not a regular SATA SSD. "NVM Express allows host hardware and software to fully exploit the levels of parallelism possible in modern SSDs". NVM Express provides speed that's not available for regular SATA SSD.

But in general, yes, SSD provides faster and stable system than HDD, no reason to deny that.

As usual, it depends a lot which motherboard you are using, bad configuration can harm the performance for sure. Properly installed NVM Express SSD outperforms SATA SSD. And once again, boot time is actually irrelevant. It really doesn't matter if it boots faster or not. If your system boots extremely slow, then you have done something wrong.For example Gigabyte Z390 Designare with Samsung EVO 970 2TB works brilliantly.

You are asking wrong question actually. Instead you should ask which hardware combo performs best on macOS. You can have the world best NVMe SSD disk but on badly chosen motherboard it might become useless.
Alright, I'm going to take the Z490 Vision D (successor of Z390 Designare) with Samsung 970 EVO 500GB and try my best with CaseyJ's Guide.
Do you think it's a good combo?

is there anybody around who handles the stupid questions? cause i'm thinking of getting a 500b nvme m.2 nand drive and installing it via pcie x16 on a really old hackintosh running mavericks 10.9.5....... can i not just install my working efi bootloader onto a partition then copy/clone my working os?.

is there anybody around who handles the stupid questions? cause i'm thinking of getting a 500b nvme m.2 nand drive and installing it via pcie x16 on a really old hackintosh running mavericks 10.9.5....... can i not just install my working efi bootloader onto a partition then copy/clone my working os?.
You should probably make a post about this in the Mavericks subforum. I have seen people say in the past yes you can boot off an NVME M.2 drive on a PCI-E add-in card but I am not sure about on Mavericks! You may need some kind of Kext.

You should probably make a post about this in the Mavericks subforum. I have seen people say in the past yes you can boot off an NVME M.2 drive on a PCI-E add-in card but I am not sure about on Mavericks! You may need some kind of Kext.
thanks, yeah i vaguely recall problems back when ssd's came out, trim issues... i will have a look on the mavericks subforum, sorry i didnt know there even was one, i thought i was the only one stupid enough to try to keep this build alive hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back