Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO both of you guys were able to install High Sierra without faults or problems related to this SSD, right?

Cause it's been common knowledge that they have been problematic for a while.

I just need solid confirmation cause I'm about to order them.

Thanks in advance.

They were problematic in El Capitan and Sierra but high Sierra has opened up most brand NVME drives for native function. I also have an Inland Proffesional 250GB nvme drive that works no problem $70 US.

It was as easy as loading a SDD drive.

I upgraded my old Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 SSD to the 970 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD. No problems at all. Completely plug-n-play.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 7.02.26 PM.png

I upgraded my old Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 SSD to the 970 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD. No problems at all. Completely plug-n-play.

View attachment 334252

The differences between sata ssd and nvme like yours in daily use is big enough, so someone to upgrade to nvme from sata ssd? I mean in boot time, or if more smoother the Mac OS etc.

Thank you.

The differences between sata ssd and nvme like yours in daily use is big enough, so someone to upgrade to nvme from sata ssd? I mean in boot time, or if more smoother the Mac OS etc.

Thank you.

It's kind of hard to quantify... There are many variables to consider such as:
  • The type of apps you run
  • How often your apps access the drive
  • Whether your system is using swap memory

If your apps don't access the drive often and you have lots of RAM, there's probably little to no benefit. Boot times are obviously greatly improved.

So, can it contribute to general smoothness? Yes. Will you personally benefit from it? It depends.

It's kind of hard to quantify... There are many variables to consider such as:
  • The type of apps you run
  • How often your apps access the drive
  • Whether your system is using swap memory

If your apps don't access the drive often and you have lots of RAM, there's probably little to no benefit. Boot times are obviously greatly improved.

So, can it contribute to general smoothness? Yes. Will you personally benefit from it? It depends.

I see, i have a lot of ram (16GB) and i don't use heavy programms, so i will stay with my 860 Evo Sata.

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing.
So you're using AFPS, right? Did you experience "long boot time" issue with it?

I'm using 960 Pro and have like 1:30 boot time with apfs, and it's a common problem with apfs at the moment.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/long-boot-times-in-high-sierra-2-min.241709/page-2#post-1689930

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about... I don't think I've ever experienced what you are describing whether it was with my old Samsung SM951 AHCI or this new 970 EVO NVMe.

I just did a reboot. From the Clover boot menu to macOS 10.13.5 desktop took exactly 30 seconds on the 970 EVO. This is with "Reopen windows when logging back in" enabled and a fair number of startup items.

I'm on APFS and have been since the release of High Sierra. I have always had Trim enabled since years ago on my real Macs.

The only time I had slow booting was when I first started hackintoshing and the Clover installer installed VBoxHfs-64.efi. That was the cause of my slow boots. Once I switched to using HFSPlus.efi, my boots were always very fast.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about... I don't think I've ever experienced what you are describing whether it was with my old Samsung SM951 AHCI or this new 970 EVO NVMe.

I just did a reboot. From the Clover boot menu to macOS 10.13.5 desktop took exactly 30 seconds on the 970 EVO. This is with "Reopen windows when logging back in" enabled and a fair number of startup items.

I'm on APFS and have been since the release of High Sierra. I have always had Trim enabled since years ago on my real Macs.

The only time I had slow booting was when I first started hackintoshing and the Clover installer installed VBoxHfs-64.efi. That was the cause of my slow boots. Once I switched to using HFSPlus.efi, my boots were always very fast.

Great news! Thanks for the important information. Looks like it's an issue with 960 series only.
:D

Great news! Thanks for the important information. Looks like it's an issue with 960 series only.
:D

I've done two builds for friends using 960 EVOs and neither of those had any significant slow downs either.

I've done two builds for friends using 960 EVOs and neither of those had any significant slow downs either.

Hmmm... That's odd, based on the thread I posted above, not only a few people have this long boot issue with 960 PRO/EVO drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back