Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... That's odd, based on the thread I posted above, not only a few people have this long boot issue with 960 PRO/EVO drives.

I have no idea what they did or what hardware they used but on Asus Z170 and Z370 with HFSPlus.efi instead of VBoxHfs-64.efi, there's no slow down here.

I have no idea what they did or what hardware they used but on Asus Z170 and Z370 with HFSPlus.efi instead of VBoxHfs-64.efi, there's no slow down here.

I don't have HFSPlus.efi nor VBoxHfs-64.efi in my Clover folder. Just did a quick search and Clover wiki says it's HFS+ file system driver that's necessary for booting.

I'm all in APFS so I guess I don't need that, right?

I don't have HFSPlus.efi nor VBoxHfs-64.efi in my Clover folder. Just did a quick search and Clover wiki says it's HFS+ file system driver that's necessary for booting.

I'm all in APFS so I guess I don't need that, right?

I think that's the case. These drivers are only used for the boot process.

I think that's the case. These drivers are only used for the boot process.

Guess it isn't, I just had HFSPlus.efi in Clover, still getting exact 1:30 boot time. :(

Anyway, I've placed an order for a 970 PRO, hope it works

Anyway, I've placed an order for a 970 PRO, hope it works

It will work, there are many things that can affect boot times, it depends on which drivers and Kexts you use, and whether they are in clover or in System/Library/Extensions or L/Extensions etc. Hardware types, amount of devices, audio, Bluetooth, WiFi, cameras etc.. I have found going light on drivers and keeping Kext injection to a minimum makes for a quicker boot time.

Sometimes downloading a fresh install and doing a clean reinstall helps. Also, clearing nvram and caches can help to speed things along. If you boot in verbose mode and see kext stat 60-240sec timeout maybe a fresh install will help to get rid of it. 60 sec would account for the added minute you have during boot. I’ve had systems that boot in less than 30 seconds and others that take 2-3 minutes and there are a lot of variables each system and motherboard varies so it’s all about experimentation to find what works best.
Internet speed/connection too can effect load time like web drivers or establishing WiFi connection etc. it’s very hard to pinpoint just what you need or don’t need and when you find a good combo that works, save it.

So my 970PRO arrived today, transferred everything from the old 960PRO with Migration Assistant.
Guess what. The boot time is now around 10s. XD

So I believe the 960PRO lacks some functionalities required by APFS and causes a "long boot" time(over 1:30)

FYI. Both 970/960 I'm using are 1TB. Anyone else encountered my "long/slow boot" problem should consider changing your drive.

So my 970PRO arrived today, transferred everything from the old 960PRO with Migration Assistant.

So I believe the 960PRO lacks some functionalities required by APFS and causes a "long boot" time(over 1:30)

FYI. Both 970/960 I'm using are 1TB. Anyone else encountered my "long/slow boot" problem should consider changing your drive.

Did you install a new clover version or just drag and drop your old one?

Did you install a new clover version or just drag and drop your old one?

I used 'dd' to clone the whole EFI partition from the old one. So that's the same as drag&drop the old one.

Are you sure this slow boot times wasn't with TRIM enabled via the terminal command, and that now on the new drive you have no TRIM enabled?

I have a Sandisk 960GB SSD and w/o trim HS would boot in less than a minute, but drive performance would degrade wildly after 2 or 3 power cycles (I copy and delete several big files every boot up, so I guess this might make more of an impact on performance when not having TRIM)

I have a 970evo (500GB one) arriving today and hope it keeps its performance without TRIM being forced, I´ve read several posts that indicate people doing ok without it.

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back