Intel Core i5 7600T
Graphics
Intel HD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a GTX 1080 iChill X4 Inno3D which supposedly can run passive under low load, yet it never does under macOS.

The card mostly "works" (even though it doesn't seem to perform too well in games), and macOS 10.12.6 detects is as "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8191 MB". I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers (378.05.05.25f01).

Any ideas on how I can get it to run passively? Or even how I can get a little closer to working out the problem? As of now, I don't even know how to monitor the temperature or RPM.

AFAIK the nvidia driver implements the fan curve stored in the card's firmware.

Edit: See comment #7

Last edited:
I have a GTX 1080 iChill X4 Inno3D which supposedly can run passive under low load, yet it never does under macOS.

The card mostly "works" (even though it doesn't seem to perform too well in games), and macOS 10.12.6 detects is as "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8191 MB". I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers (378.05.05.25f01).

Any ideas on how I can get it to run passively? Or even how I can get a little closer to working out the problem? As of now, I don't even know how to monitor the temperature or RPM.

Yes,I agree with @vulgo , although I believe different versions of the Pascal cards may be set differently. My own 1050 is initially set so that the fan does not come on until the gpu hits 60-degrees, which for most of the time means it never does. There is a Windows utility which allows you to change the temperature curve and target fan temp start etc. I believe this might be held in firmware, although in macOS I never reach those temperatures.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back