Contribute
Register

Rocket 88 - i7-6950x & Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX - Sierra 10.12.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Update ..

when i insert the M.2 950 pro nvme which holds the windows while 850 ssd holds hackintosh
i cannot pass DOS screen and boot the hackintosh .. :(

would love to solve this issue any one can help ?

Hey, I'm a newbie and attempted to get my 5960x on the Designare EX up and running with Sierra 10.12.2, but ran into some problems that hopefully someone will be able to diagnose.

I took Rocket88's tutorial and tried to adapt it to my hardware. Up to date on bios with F4c, ran optimized defaults while enabling Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x in the bios. Made a USB stick with Sierra 10.12.2 and Clover r3961. Added the kexts, drivers and DSDT file included in Rocket88_EFI.zip. Changed the value in VoodooTSCSync.Kext to 15 to accommodate for the 8-core 5960x since it was mentioned that the kext had been modified for the 10-core 6950x. Added IOPCIFamily.kext.
View attachment 227090
I also changed the properties of the ram in the Clover config.plist since my ram is different than Rocket88's. I used Clover Configurator to change these values.

Booted to Clover successfully, but when I tried loading the OSX installation, it got as far as
AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRam: failed getting NVRAM
using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers.
View attachment 227093

Tried checking the USB ownership option in Clover Configurator to try and resolve the issue, but didn't fix it.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong or what I need to change/add/modify?
View attachment 227091 View attachment 227092

Also included the P-list. Any help would be much appreciated!

HARDWARE
Processor: Intel-i7 5960x
Motherboard: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FBK4/64 (64 gig total, 16GBx4)
Graphics: XFX Radeon R9 Fury X
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

I'm getting this install error too with the same motherboard but with a Broadwell 6900k and a GTX 980ti, did you manage to solve it?

I'm getting this install error too with the same motherboard but with a Broadwell 6900k and a GTX 980ti, did you manage to solve it?

Managed to get it installed. Went the DSDT-free route and had a lot more success. Attached my EFI folder below. However, there are a couple of things you might have to change in the config.plist.

1.) Since you have a Broadwell-e processor, I'm not sure what extra steps you need to take to get it recognized. I have a 5960x so the P-list is configured for that. Probably don't need to change the VoodooTSCSync.kext since yours is also an 8-core processor.

2.) I have the Radeon 7970 as my primary GPU and it works OOB. So again, not sure about the steps you need to take to get the GTX 980ti recognized.

3.) The SSDT in the /ACPI/patched folder was generated for the Radeon 7970. So you can probably get rid of that.

4.) If you use the provided P-list, please generate a different serial number in the SMBIOS section!

But short of those two things, everything else is working great! All the USB ports work. Pretty sure USB 3 devices are running at USB 3 speeds. Sound works. USB 3.1 recognizes my Nexus 5x (though this is not a great way to test out the speed of the port since the Nexus 5x only operates at USB 2.0 speeds and don't have a device to really test out the speed of the port at this point). Thunderbolt 3 I can't test because again, no device to test it with. Bluetooth works as long as the antenna is connected. Only thing that doesn't work is wifi, and that's because the Intel wifi card isn't supported so you'll have to buy a Broadcom M.2 wifi card to get working. I overclocked my processor and it power management for the processor seems to working as when I run the Intel Power Gadget I'm getting appropriate fluctuations in Power and Frequency. All in all it's a pretty stable machine. Hopefully this works for you, too!

Attachments

• Designare EX EFI.zip
    3 MB · Views: 160
Also, here are my BIOS settings.
IMG_20170203_125938.jpgIMG_20170203_125947.jpgIMG_20170203_125952.jpg

Hi there, I went with the x99 Designare as well. However I'm using an e5-2697v4 18-core. I followed your guide, but I always get stuck at "PCI configuration begin"

Using a GTX 780 for now. Any thoughts?

***EDIT***
Got it to boot into the install. Had to get just the right flavoring of Rocket88's EFI as well as boot args. The boot args that let me get past the KP were npci0x2000 and nv_disable=1.

Last edited:
Well, I've gotten it to boot up/install using a combination of DysthymicRhythms and Rocket88's EFI and config.list. Once I get this all fixed I'll try and write out the best amendment I can to help others out with similar builds.

Whats really important is the BIOS version must be F4c or this EFI file doesnt work.

What I am TRYING SO HARD TO GET TO WORK is thunderbolt. This is essential to my film work and I hope someone can help here. My computer is triple boot so I can go into any OS and try and solve this. I've been working mainly in Windows for this issue as Gigabyte Drivers are windows based. So I think it is a bios thing flash issue. I have looked at other Gigabyte thunderbolt drivers that are older to see if they work. Nothing seems to stick. I even tried this windows issue here (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...4af2-8156-501d0c7e6f38?rtAction=1489245905868)

Any help would be apreciated!

I have working:
Graphics (not 1080 ti's obviously as 10xx cards arent supported on mac)
All USB Ports (including USB-C) at 3.0 speeds (cant test 3.1 as I dont have anything that fast)
Bluetooth (antenna must be attached)
Ethernet (only 218v port, the 211 port that is furthest from audio wont work because noone has a kext for it)

Not Working:
Thunderbolt - Doesnt matter TB version - I have 3 and 2 and 1 devices. None work, even if plugged in before boot
Wifi (and it wont work unless I switch out Intel 8260 chip or get a PCI/USB card)
Imessages, itunes and appleID

SYSTEM
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX
Intel i7 8-Core 6900k
NVIDIA 970
2x NVIDIA gtx 1080 ti
128GB DDR4 Corsair 2400mhz
Samsung EVO 850 250GB
2TB Toshiba HDD
Corair AX1200 PU
Chenbro RM42300 4u Rack Server Case

Not Working:
Thunderbolt - Doesnt matter TB version - I have 3 and 2 and 1 devices. None work, even if plugged in before boot
Hi GodHawk,
Have you checked out this post by QkY with Z170X-Designare? It mentions downloading the "Thunderbolt FW Update Tool" from Gigabyte's website. I've seen that there is a firmware tool for your X99-Desinare as well:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_thunderbolt-fw_x99-ex.zip
I'm also interested in this board and I'm curious if you can get TB working :thumbup:

hey team, just did a build similar to this, followed all the instructions perfectly but keep getting stuck on the installation. process was wondering if anyone knew what I would need to change. I attached the image below of where I keep getting stuck.

Parts:
x99 designare ex
i7 core 6900K LGA2011
Samsung NVMe SSG 960 Pro 2TB
2x Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133MT/s
Gigabyte Geforce gtx-980
EVGA 850 PSU
Corsair H100i v2 CPU cooler

Attachments

• 182012-b43b7f67953a1cef54deab318b79bda9.jpg
    182012-b43b7f67953a1cef54deab318b79bda9.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 125
Well, I've gotten it to boot up/install using a combination of DysthymicRhythms and Rocket88's EFI and config.list. Once I get this all fixed I'll try and write out the best amendment I can to help others out with similar builds.

Whats really important is the BIOS version must be F4c or this EFI file doesnt work.

What I am TRYING SO HARD TO GET TO WORK is thunderbolt. This is essential to my film work and I hope someone can help here. My computer is triple boot so I can go into any OS and try and solve this. I've been working mainly in Windows for this issue as Gigabyte Drivers are windows based. So I think it is a bios thing flash issue. I have looked at other Gigabyte thunderbolt drivers that are older to see if they work. Nothing seems to stick. I even tried this windows issue here (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...4af2-8156-501d0c7e6f38?rtAction=1489245905868)

Any help would be apreciated!

I have working:
Graphics (not 1080 ti's obviously as 10xx cards arent supported on mac)
All USB Ports (including USB-C) at 3.0 speeds (cant test 3.1 as I dont have anything that fast)
Bluetooth (antenna must be attached)
Ethernet (only 218v port, the 211 port that is furthest from audio wont work because noone has a kext for it)

Not Working:
Wifi (and it wont work unless I switch out Intel 8260 chip or get a PCI/USB card)
Imessages, itunes and appleID

SYSTEM
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX
Intel i7 8-Core 6900k
NVIDIA 970
2x NVIDIA gtx 1080 ti
128GB DDR4 Corsair 2400mhz
Samsung EVO 850 250GB
2TB Toshiba HDD
Corair AX1200 PU
Chenbro RM42300 4u Rack Server Case

Any Chance you could sent me your config.plist or EFI folder to help me get started? you build is very similar to mine and I'm having some trouble getting the macOS installer to boot

I have a same problem!

"AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRam: failed getting NVRAM
using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers"

Help me!

Attachments

• IMG_4214.JPG
    IMG_4214.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 92
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back