Contribute
Register

Rocket 88 - i7-6950x & Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX - Sierra 10.12.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you dropping OEM_DSM?

I dont know what this is, so I would guess no.

I mean no offence by this, but I am not sure what your goal is in replying to me here - as far as this thread/guide is concerned I have successfully installed Sierra on the same motherboard with a few changes which I wanted to let other know about incase they ran into the same problems as me. I'm not sure what you or I have to gain by discussing the DSDT?

Ok, so I have USB3 and Thunderbolt working now which is everything working apart from Wireless (which is currently not possible), for Thunderbolt you may well need to log in to Windows first to update the drivers.
BIOS settings (important)
Peripherals>Intel Thunderbolt

Security Level - Legacy Mode
Peripherals -
Legacy USB Support - Enabled
XHCI Hand-off - Enabled
EHCI Hand-off - Enabled
Chipset-
XHCI mode - Auto

Then put these two files in your Clover>ACPI>patched.
I'm not 100%up on how SSDT works between boards, but I assume the exact same board will have all the exact same assignments for ports so the attached SSDT's should work.

For reference here are some pics of my patched folder and kexts folder in Clover and patches in my plist from Clover Configurator, as I have added and removed stuff since the original install.

cEbHCj8.png

f60VltZ.png

6ynKn9y.png

0AcVLit.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    539 bytes · Views: 142
  • SSDT-XHC.aml
    367 bytes · Views: 119
Hi GodHawk,
Have you checked out this post by QkY with Z170X-Designare? It mentions downloading the "Thunderbolt FW Update Tool" from Gigabyte's website. I've seen that there is a firmware tool for your X99-Desinare as well:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_thunderbolt-fw_x99-ex.zip
I'm also interested in this board and I'm curious if you can get TB working :thumbup:

I did get it working, I had to to the TBT_100.exe Flash Tool AFTER updating my Thunderbolt firmware from Windows 10 boot. Once I did this, Thunderbolt started working as long as the drives are plugged in from boot-up.

Also, a weird little side note, Im using a Pegasus2 RAID and it only works as long as it is the LAST drive in the chain. If i put a drive after the Pegasus, it only shows that next drive. Very weird.

Any Chance you could sent me your config.plist or EFI folder to help me get started? you build is very similar to mine and I'm having some trouble getting the macOS installer to boot

To answer your question, yes I have added all of my files here. I removed my serial number from this config so we dont have any issues there.

The SSDT files were in my "EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/" folder of my boot EFI
The Other.zip files were all in my "EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/" folder. You can replace or take the ones you dont already have. When I created this back in March these were the most updated patches I could find on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Finally, I have a few new issue. I was trying to figure out how to use the internal RAID controller to have a RAID i could use on my windows, mac and linux machines. I cannot figure this out. I formatted the RAID on windows, set it up in the BIOS, and have it working as an NTFS drive. I downloaded Paragon on Mac and cannot see these drives except when I boot up i get 3 warnings (its a 3 drive RAID 0) saying that the drives cannot be read and I can either intialize or ignore. I just hit ignore for now... I'll have to try something else, but I'm not sure what path to go down.

Also, speaking of weird things, I cannot search for applications on the spotlight search even though I have applications searchable in settings. Also nothing shows up in "all my files" smart search in finder... very weird.

Let me know if anything has questions or answers!!! Haha

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    539 bytes · Views: 123
  • SSDT-XHC.aml
    367 bytes · Views: 125
  • Other.zip
    884.8 KB · Views: 100
  • config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 217
Ok, so I have USB3 and Thunderbolt working now which is everything working apart from Wireless (which is currently not possible), for Thunderbolt you may well need to log in to Windows first to update the drivers.
BIOS settings (important)
Peripherals>Intel Thunderbolt

Security Level - Legacy Mode
Peripherals -
Legacy USB Support - Enabled
XHCI Hand-off - Enabled
EHCI Hand-off - Enabled
Chipset-
XHCI mode - Auto

Then put these two files in your Clover>ACPI>patched.
I'm not 100%up on how SSDT works between boards, but I assume the exact same board will have all the exact same assignments for ports so the attached SSDT's should work.

For reference here are some pics of my patched folder and kexts folder in Clover and patches in my plist from Clover Configurator, as I have added and removed stuff since the original install.

cEbHCj8.png

f60VltZ.png

6ynKn9y.png

0AcVLit.png
Please send-me your efi folder, i trying to boot on same config without success.

Here is my full EFI folder

Where does your boot hang? Have you checked all your BIOS settings?

I have been told there are some unnecessary kexts in my kexts folder, but I haven't time to investigate at the mo.

Your sig says you have a different build/mobo - is this a new build?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 117
Here is my full EFI folder

Where does your boot hang? Have you checked all your BIOS settings?

I have been told there are some unnecessary kexts in my kexts folder, but I haven't time to investigate at the mo.

Your sig says you have a different build/mobo - is this a new build?
It´s a build to an friend.

Hi guys, for last 12 days I have been trying to install sierra following rocket 88 guide. But alas, it kept getting stuck during usb installer loading. In the verbose mode it showed that " failed getting nvram" and got stuck. I have tried resetting cmos several times but no luck.
My pc config is given below:
I7 5960x
Gigabyte x99 designare ex
48gm ddr4 ram
Gtx 1080 sli

I have got windows installed on a m.2 nvme drive. And I was trying to install sierra on a separate ssd.

I will be really grateful if someone could help.me to get passed this problem. I have checked lot of threads and forums for the solutions but most of the solutions mentioned didn't work.

List what you have tried already, so you dont just get a repeat of what you have already done.

Last edited:
I have reset cmos several times but no luck. I have followed and used both rocket88 and x86tosh files and methods but still getting stuck at failed getting nvram.

Just to double check: you have removed the dsdt from ACPI> Patched?

Does it hang or reboot?
Does it get to failed getting nvram or the line after that as seen in other posts?

It's always worth trying to start again in these situations, re-create the USB and everything. Sometimes this resolved things, it's possible you missed a step or its just playing up for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back