Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to get single card vii in 14.4.4 version 3 using DisplayPort next to HDMI, no black screen. But there is the freezing issue. I tested with Dual vii cards and it works, but with freeze issue.
Can you try testing vii with DisplayPort next to HDMI to confirm it will work solo?

I tried the DisplayPort next to the HDMI but I still get a black screen. I've updated the VII to the latest BIOS that came out the other day. Some good news – the fans now seem to be far louder (comparable to Windows) when gaming in macOS and the backplate is no where near as hot as it was before. I still get random freezes however, but I no longer get hard system crashes when playing games over extended periods.

I was able to get single card vii in 14.4.4 version 3 using DisplayPort next to HDMI, no black screen. But there is the freezing issue. I tested with Dual vii cards and it works, but with freeze issue.
Can you try testing vii with DisplayPort next to HDMI to confirm it will work solo?

Thanks GigaMaxx I gave you a plug in my video.
Waste of time doing the video editing test until the R VII is fully supported

installed beta 4 of 10.4.4

i havent had time to test it as a standalone card and am still running it with the vega 64.

attached are 2 screenshots of geekbench 4 compute. the vega 64 is still performing better than the vega vii.

i havent tested it long enough to see if the issue related to the freezing has been resolved. i will update the posted when i have more.

Update on freezing: It still freezes for a few seconds but then recovers. somethimes with screen artifacts and flickering but if you move an open window around over the artifacts or areas of the screen flickering it recovers completely. so, some work has been done on the driver but its not perfect yet. at least i dont have to restart when it freezes. i will test it with one card to see if it loads the macOS GUI this evening.

Attachments

• vega 64.png
    vega 64.png
    1 MB · Views: 191
  • vega vii.png
    vega vii.png
    1 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
installed beta 4 of 10.4.4

i havent had time to test it as a standalone card and am still running it with the vega 64.

attached are 2 screenshots of geekbench 4 compute. the vega 64 is still performing better than the vega vii.

i havent tested it long enough to see if the issue related to the freezing has been resolved. i will update the posted when i have more.

Update on freezing: It still freezes for a few seconds but then recovers. somethimes with screen artifacts and flickering but if you move an open window around over the artifacts or areas of the screen flickering it recovers completely. so, some work has been done on the driver but its not perfect yet. at least i dont have to restart when it freezes. i will test it with one card to see if it loads the macOS GUI this evening.

My single card is working in beta 4. It is the legacy bios original version. Works with Legacy and UEFI clover versions. Still need to edit the 5000kext.

so, here is what i tried and ran into:
  • vega 64 and vega vii without adding the vii id to the kext: vii doesn't produce video output (black screen), vega 64 works
  • vega 64 and vega vii with adding the vii id to the kext: vii works with acceleration. freezing still happens but it recovers. vega 64 works
  • vega vii as only card installed and internal graphics disabled: blank screen when loading MacOS GUI. Regardless of port used.
  • vega vii with internal intel graphics enabled: vii works with acceleration. freezing still happens but it recovers

my card is running this bios: https://www.amd.com/en/support/radeonvii-vbios-eula

attached is a geekbench compute and LuxMark for the vega vii under the last configuration above. for reference my vega 64 ran 179182 OpenCL on geekbench compute and 28182 on luxmark.

Attachments

• vega vii 2.png
    vega vii 2.png
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 176
I got one solid freeze last night. I again switched back to the Vega64 as the primary card for now.

They are either working on real drivers, or we are just lucky that the 500 kext works with the VII because of its Vega based architecture.

I mean, they have solid working drivers out for Linux. surely building drivers for macOS isn't much harder. Unless adopting it for metal takes time.

There is no 20 driver family in the kext. Only 10 and 12 which gives me pause that there is an actual driver specifically for the VII being developed for 10.14.4

I hope the next beta or rtm version of 10.4.4 will work better.

I mean, they have solid working drivers out for Linux. surely building drivers for macOS isn't much harder. Unless adopting it for metal takes time.

As far as I know, Apple makes the drivers for macOS, so AMD is not likely working on a macOS driver.

I am running the 10.14.4 Beta and have The Radeon VII with the edited 5000 kext. I can get into Mojave with dGPU set as primary but I get the freezing issue. If I run with iGPU as primary, Vega64 shows in the system information as being detected. I don’t get freezing this way. If I leave iGPU as primary will I still get dGPU acceleration for tasks? In Lightroom for example, acceleration only shows Intel KBL and not Vega. Photoshop shows the same. Geek bench, however, will generate a performance report for the Radeon VII. Sorry and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back