i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, do all amd gpus are compatible with mac or only those that were used in macbook pros and imacs? I'm wondering because I'm about to buy vega 64 and if Radeon VII can be compatible with hackintosh OOB then I'd rather wait.

I already have the Radeon VII installed water cooled with EKWB block imported from Europe. CUDA works, World of Warcraft 4K works and Adobe Photoshop and all 3D games running perfectly with 4 monitors HDMI audio with Watergreen

Hi, do all amd gpus are compatible with mac or only those that were used in macbook pros and imacs? I'm wondering because I'm about to buy vega 64 and if Radeon VII can be compatible with hackintosh OOB then I'd rather wait.

Radeon VII is a new card, not yet released. I don't expect it to work (fully) with MacOS now until Apple decides to use it in some future Macs, or Apple announces compatibility for it to be used as eGPU.

Last edited:

I bet it will work, but it depends on the Device ID. There are about 15 device IDs in the AMD10000controllerkext. Only about 2-3 are currently available so if it is one of these included IDs it should work. Mojave already has some code for the new Navi cards. I’m 99% sure these cards will work. Once we get a leaked benchmark with the device ID we will know for certain or if Apple announces a new build with one.

AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext (Navi)

Update: See this post for editing instructions for metal support in 10.14.4 beta #49

Navi kext.png

Last edited:
I bet it will work, but it depends on the Device ID. There are about 15 device IDs in the AMD10000contrillerkext. Only about 2-3 are currently available so if it is one of these included IDs it should work. Mojave already has some code for the new Navi cards. I’m 99% sure these cards will work. Once we get a leaked benchmark with the device ID we will know for certain or if Apple announces a new build with one.

Yeah so I just come from Nvidia to ATIland.

What happened before for example with Vega which version of Mac OS X was out when Vega launched? Did users
1) waited for the next OS upgrade.
2) waited for the a minor OS upgrade.
3) worked out of the box?

Yeah so I just come from Nvidia to ATIland.

What happened before for example with Vega which version of Mac OS X was out when Vega launched? Did users
1) waited for the next OS upgrade.
2) waited for the a minor OS upgrade.
3) worked out of the box?

We spotted Vega code in Sierra 12.5 and 12.6. But in high Sierra betas before the public release we had a whole set of kexts for Vega the AMDRadeon10000Controllerkext, AMD5000kext, etc.. Vega as soon as it was released worked in High Sierra, but after a few updates it got better. It was initially listed as RX XXX much like the early Sierra and RX 460-480 cards were. After HS 10.13.3 it fixed the name to Vega. Mojave has very good Vega support at this time and I'm pretty sure these new cards will work

Vega20 in the AMD10000controllerkext.

Vega 20.png

Exciting. This could be the last excuse I need to move from my 1080. Maybe I’ll wait to see if we’re still driverless when Mojave’s successor comes along.

We spotted Vega code in Sierra 12.5 and 12.6. But in high Sierra betas before the public release we had a whole set of kexts for Vega the AMDRadeon10000Controllerkext, AMD5000kext, etc.. Vega as soon as it was released worked in High Sierra, but after a few updates it got better. It was initially listed as RX XXX much like the early Sierra and RX 460-480 cards were. After HS 10.13.3 it fixed the name to Vega. Mojave has very good Vega support at this time and I'm pretty sure these new cards will work

Vega20 in the AMD10000controllerkext.

View attachment 378301

So you think Vega 20 will work straight out of the box with Mojave?

That would be awesome!!!

i hope the fan speed issue is solved out of the box aswel, my gigabyte vega 56 still thinks its a helicopter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back