Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

in Boot menu resolution is ok

Unbelievable!FCPX seems ok

I got my hands on Mojave 14.4 beta 3 today and I've made some progress. After changing the 5000kext info.plist, I can now get past the macOS loading screen (it would hang on it before). I now get a black screen after though. I think I might have something else that is causing the issue – possibly with my Clover kext setup.

I had the same issue. I would get the blank screen when the only card installed was the Vega VII. I had to enable the onboard Intel card or add my Vvega 64 as a secondary card. You only need one screen plugged into the Vega VII. That's the only way I could get it to boot into the GUI.

I do have a screen freezing issue where after using Safari with lots of video or animation on pages the everything freezes except the mouse. Only way out is to reboot.

Hope this helps with you blank screen issue.

I have a screen freezing issue with my Vega VII.

I hope someone can help. I enabled internal Intel GPU, CSM is disabled and modified the AMD kext.

I boot into macOS successfully, but after a while the screen freezes. Only the mouse moves, and I have to reboot using a hard reset.

It seems to happen when I use Safari with a busy page and I scroll quickly up and down. I haven't used other graphics intensive apps yet but it has frozen a number of times.

If I remove the Vega VII and use the Vega 64 everything is perfect.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same issue. I would get the blank screen when the only card installed was the Vega VII. I had to enable the onboard Intel card or add my Vvega 64 as a secondary card. You only need one screen plugged into the Vega VII. That's the only way I could get it to boot into the GUI.

I do have a screen freezing issue where after using Safari with lots of video or animation on pages the everything freezes except the mouse. Only way out is to reboot.

Hope this helps with you blank screen issue.
That’s what I also discovered earlier, too. I enabled the integrated video to get it working. Unfortunately, I. too get the lock up issue and that’s without using Safari - just VSCode. :(

Remember we are using the Vega 10 drivers, and, until Apple adds the device ID in the 5000kext, there will be issues. I have found that, after the UEFI BIOS update, the freezes became more pronounced. In Legacy boot mode it was infrequent, but now it seems to happen more often in browsing apps.

Remember we are using the Vega 10 drivers, and, until Apple adds the device ID in the 5000kext, there will be issues. I have found that, after the UEFI BIOS update, the freezes became more pronounced. In Legacy boot mode it was infrequent, but now it seems to happen more often in browsing apps.

I've noticed that the RVII fans don't ever get loud with macOS, compared to Windows (especially with lots of browsing, which is all hardware accelerated). It could be that the hardware sensors are not working correctly, thus the fans aren't cooling the GPU effectively, leading to the freezes.

I've noticed that the RVII fans don't ever get loud with macOS, compared to Windows (especially with lots of browsing, which is all hardware accelerated). It could be that the hardware sensors are not working correctly, thus the fans aren't cooling the GPU effectively, leading to the freezes.

It possible, have you felt the backplate? Please test that, I know when I run benches it speeds up and then slows down and temps aren’t that bad as far as the backplate goes compared to Vega 64 card.

It possible, have you felt the backplate? Please test that, I know when I run benches it speeds up and then slows down and temps aren’t that bad as far as the backplate goes compared to Vega 64 card.

The backplate isn't really conclusive in terms of temperature though, as the V64 cards had a different cooling profile – not to mention they used more power. I noticed the difference clearly when playing the same games from Steam on my VII compared to using the VII in Windows. The fan was suspiciously quiet in macOS vs Windows – which sets off alarm bells (I hope this doesn't damage the card).

I hope the next beta brings about proper support, although that seems unlikely given Apple's history in supporting newly released cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back