Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does work "OOB" is the fact these cards can now boot without RadeonDeinit or whatevergreen kext.
Mine doesn't boot without whathevergreen...it boots to black screen while I read someone can properly boot the RX560 OOB

I have tried and it doesn't work, boot to black screen. I think it's related to SMBIOS.
As a tip: to safely reboot from black screen, I have created a keyboard shortcut to Finder Restart computer... I use ALT+F4 :)

ALT-F4 is a good and logical idea :thumbup:

For my experiments I'm using iMac14,2 which I know isn't current favourite for Coffee Lake but I'm having no problems.
:)

UtterDisbelief, how many monitors are you driving with your 560?

ALT-F4 is a good and logical idea :thumbup:
For my experiments I'm using iMac14,2 which I know isn't current favourite for Coffee Lake but I'm having no problems.
:)
A real iMac18,2 has an Intel i5-7400 CPU & an AMD Radeon Pro 555 GPU. My system has Intel i5-7400 CPU & an AMD Radeon RX 560 seen as AMD Radeon Pro 555, plus a bigger 4K monitor connected through DP (3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 30-bit color). I guess it's the closest to a real one I could get :)

Sorry dude I've sold my RX 560 for $100, right now I'm only using UHD 630.

Also did you notice the KBL graphics driver issue that hardware decoding (h264/h265) makes the video stream filled with artefact effect of things with SMBIOS iMac1x,2? I don't want to use iMac1x,1 with a RX 560 cuz the real iMacs have no discrete GPUs on those models. And disabling iGPU in BIOS can lead RX 560 to a total mess. Performance degrades after time. Like it stutters so badly when opening a Launchpad folder.

I placed back Lilu and WhateverGreen in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and the system boots fine, but the iGPU issue lead my Hackintosh totally usable. You can't finish a 10 minute YouTube video before the video stream turns green, and after that, every video playback that utilise VideoToolbox hardware acceleration is plain green as well. I tried to set AppleGVA to use ATI encoder/decoder but macOS is still using iGPU to do the job. So I decided to pop out this card and sell it. Then change SMBIOS to iMac18,1.

UHD 630 can't handle 4K display though.

With 10.13.4 using my MSI RX 560 I have now disabled RadeonDeinit and don't use WhateverGreen, though Lilu is installed. I normally run dual 2560x1440 monitors from DisplayPort and Dual-DVI. Given the discussion I added a third monitor using HDMI running at 1920x1200, which worked right away (I don't have another WQHD monitor to test with). Rebooting worked fine with all three monitors coming up at login. I never tried this with earlier versions of HS (using RadeonDeInit=true). I am also finding that sleep seems to work fine with the RX 560 but the motherboard fans run full after wake, so that is the limiting factor I can't sort out yet.

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 7.45.29 PM.png

Has anybody got DP or HDMI audio working on 10.13.4 with an RX560? Thanks in advance.

With 10.13.4 using my MSI RX 560 I have now disabled RadeonDeinit and don't use WhateverGreen, though Lilu is installed.
Do you use Inject ATI and what SMBIOS?
Has anybody got DP or HDMI audio working on 10.13.4 with an RX560? Thanks in advance.
DP audio is working with Lilu + WhateverGreen, I haven't tested HDMI audio.

With 10.13.4 using my MSI RX 560 I have now disabled RadeonDeinit and don't use WhateverGreen, though Lilu is installed. I normally run dual 2560x1440 monitors from DisplayPort and Dual-DVI. Given the discussion I added a third monitor using HDMI running at 1920x1200, which worked right away (I don't have another WQHD monitor to test with). Rebooting worked fine with all three monitors coming up at login. I never tried this with earlier versions of HS (using RadeonDeInit=true). I am also finding that sleep seems to work fine with the RX 560 but the motherboard fans run full after wake, so that is the limiting factor I can't sort out yet.

View attachment 322662
I have an Asus RX560 and without Whathevergreen I boot to black, I tried all the possible combinations and the only way is Whathevergreen... so strange that other people can boot normally... could it be that different cards (Shapphire, Asus, MSI...) behave differently...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back