Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I coudn't get my system to recognise RX 560 as native, but I can't turn off the Intel iGPU as I use it for x264/x265 encoding (iMovie/QuickTime).
About the FrameBuffers, I get ATY,Acre with Inject ATI
View attachment 322520
ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer with WhateverGreen
View attachment 322521
Regardless of the method, the following kexts appear as loaded: AMD9500Controller, AMDFramebuffer, AMDRadeonX4000, AMDRadeonX4000HWLibs, AMDRadeonX4000HWServices, AMDSupport.

What do you mean by "I coudn't get my system to recognise RX 560 as native"? With my method (with IGPU) I get generic framebuffers (3 of them, matching my inputs) and everything works.

The RX560.kext injects properties to 9500C + X4000 and should work with RX460 as well.
Acre.kext: inject Acre FB properties to common ATY framebuffer in 9500 FB controller.
Not sure you need both of these kext. If you examine the Info.plist of both kext, you will notice that rx560.kext has the same info as Acre.kext. So what what if you do not use Acre.kext ?

Not sure you need both of these kext. If you examine the Info.plist of both kext, you will notice that rx560.kext has the same info as Acre.kext. So what what if you do not use Acre.kext ?

I think you're right... I will look at this later today and try to simplify and maybe get to 1 kext only.

I think you're right... I will look at this later today and try to simplify and maybe get to 1 kext only.
So basically the RX560 is not fully native (without extra kext) right?
I can't understand why I keep reading in various forums people using it with no Kexts or Radeondeinit in 10.13.4...If I do, I boot to black screen (but I can reach it by using VNC and the system is working)! Just to try I also disabled the iGPU and removed the related patches and kexts...still boot to black without whathevergreen

I don't need DP audio so I would get rid of whathevergreen with no problems...! I need to keep lilu and intelgraphicsfix though as I use FCPX

Last edited:
Correct.
No new AMD are OOB.
What does work "OOB" is the fact these cards can now boot without RadeonDeinit or whatevergreen kext.
But other "basics" do not work OOB: e.g. DP/HDMI audio will need SSDT or Clover patch; HEVC encoding/decoding may need a patch otherwise FCPX will not work for HEVC.

I can't understand why I keep reading in various forums people using it with no Kexts or Radeondeinit in 10.13.4...If I do, I boot to black screen (but I can reach it by using VNC and the system is working)! Just to try I also disabled the iGPU and removed the related patches and kexts...still boot to black without whathevergreen
I don't need DP audio so I would get rid of whathevergreen with no problems...! I need to keep lilu and intelgraphicsfix though as I use FCPX
The same for me, I boot to black screen without one of the methods mentioned in the first post. As I don't need DP audio, I settled for Inject ATI for now. I don't use IntelGraphicsFixup as I discovered "GFX0 to IGPU" and "HECI to IMEI" DSDT Patches are sufficient to get x264/x265 hardware decoding/encoding.

Yes. The only thing I think you might be missing running w/o IGPU is x264 encoding... so, quicktime screen recording, Keynote Export as movie, some Final Cut Pro exporting as h264 etc. If you never do this, then you're ok.

I need to do this a lot so that is why I enable iGPU in headless mode.

Yes, that's a good point. I had heard that iGPU was needed for certain codecs to work etc. And I rarely need to use them.

Interestingly, I recently recorded my screen using QuickTime so I could send a dev an example of how their software crashed. It seemed to work okay (this was in 10.13.3 though) :

encode.jpeg

... mind you, this wasn't exactly stressing anything being so low a resolution, and was a first for me anyway :)

I coudn't get my system to recognise RX 560 as native, but I can't turn off the Intel iGPU as I use it for x264/x265 encoding (iMovie/QuickTime).
About the FrameBuffers, I get ATY,Acre with Inject ATI
View attachment 322520
ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer with WhateverGreen
View attachment 322521
Regardless of the method, the following kexts appear as loaded: AMD9500Controller, AMDFramebuffer, AMDRadeonX4000, AMDRadeonX4000HWLibs, AMDRadeonX4000HWServices, AMDSupport.

Just a thought ...

Have you tried turning off the iGPU and checking if your RX 560 boots okay? I know you can't do this long-term as you need the rendering support, but it might be useful to know.:)

Correct.
No new AMD are OOB.
What does work "OOB" is the fact these cards can now boot without RadeonDeinit or whatevergreen kext.
But other "basics" do not work OOB: e.g. DP/HDMI audio will need SSDT or Clover patch; HEVC encoding/decoding may need a patch otherwise FCPX will not work for HEVC.

Another good point.

Whereas for most purposes I would say the RX 560 is "almost" native now, you are correct. My HDMI audio has disappeared since I removed Whatevergreen. So it seems at present this is the only reason to carry on using the kext pair.

The only other reason I would use Lilu is with Shiki to enable iTunes DRM video but even that seems to be working okay now.

Just a thought ...
Have you tried turning off the iGPU and checking if your RX 560 boots okay? I know you can't do this long-term as you need the rendering support, but it might be useful to know.:)
I have tried and it doesn't work, boot to black screen. I think it's related to SMBIOS.
As a tip: to safely reboot from black screen, I have created a keyboard shortcut to Finder Restart computer... I use ALT+F4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back