Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
could it be that different cards (Shapphire, Asus, MSI...) behave differently...?

Yes, I think this is the case, cause different manufactures uses different VBIOS, you can find on the forum problems with XFX RX560 where flashing VBios from Shapphire resolves problems.

Yes, I think this is the case, cause different manufactures uses different VBIOS, you can find on the forum problems with XFX RX560 where flashing VBios from Shapphire resolves problems.
Yes this is true. I flashed my XFX RX560 4GB with the Sapphire Pulse RX560 4GB OC BIOS and could load into HS. However, if I try to run Cinebench to test the card it will turn both screens white and crash. I am still trying to figure out what to tweak to make the card stable. I am half tempted to just try an MSI RX560 card.

I have flashed my XFX card with several closely speced cards but none will actually complete the benchmark test without crashing.

Last edited:
I have an Asus RX560 and without Whathevergreen I boot to black, I tried all the possible combinations and the only way is Whathevergreen... so strange that other people can boot normally... could it be that different cards (Shapphire, Asus, MSI...) behave differently...?

I have the ASUS RX560 2GB OC. I don't use Whatevergreen.

Hi.
How do you use Clover to load different VBIOS? I've never tried this and have no idea how to do it.
Thanks in advance.
The rom file should be placed in EFI/CLOVER/ROM but the wiki is somewhat confusing https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Graphics#graphics_loadvbios
I've read somewhere that it should be named GPU.rom and not [vendor]_[device].rom
Edit: I can't find that information, so I must remember it wrong. The correct name should be vendorID_deviceID.rom as suggested by the Clover code https://github.com/al3xtjames/Clover/blob/svn/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/ati.c
UnicodeSPrint(FileName, 128, L"\\ROM\\%04x_%04x.rom", vendor_id, device_id);
if (FileExists(OEMDir, FileName)) {
DBG("Found generic VBIOS ROM file (%04x_%04x.rom)\n", vendor_id, device_id);

Last edited:
Correct.
No new AMD are OOB.
What does work "OOB" is the fact these cards can now boot without RadeonDeinit or whatevergreen kext.
But other "basics" do not work OOB: e.g. DP/HDMI audio will need SSDT or Clover patch; HEVC encoding/decoding may need a patch otherwise FCPX will not work for HEVC.

On macOS 10.13.4:
  • no RadeonDeInit
  • no WhateverGreen.kext
  • no Inject ATI
  • no graphics SSDT
  • no graphics Clover patches
My Vega 56 has DisplayPort audio working and HEVC working. I am using iMacPro1,1 system definition. Playing the Sony camp video, Quicktime uses about 10.5-11% CPU.

My Vega 56 has DisplayPort audio working and HEVC working. I am using iMacPro1,1 system definition. Playing the Sony camp video, Quicktime uses about 10.5-11% CPU.

Did share / export as H264 work in FCPX? I do not use IQSV, need disable IOGVACodec (H264 encoder) from dummy kext to make H264 work.

Now everything seems to be OK, no freeze while share as H264 but without HW acceleration, export as HEVC good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back