Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
with your setup... 18,3 ... 6,1 and imacpro 1,1 will just do fine. with the standard board id.

Some more explanation:
In the early beta's, people did a work around to get preview working. For example: preview was broken with smbios 17,3 and they fixed it by changing the board id in clover with a board id from smbios 14,2 (something like that). But this kind of fixes are working for preview, but breaking hardware encoding/decoding.

As I stated earlier in this thread, Quick Look and hardware encoding/decoding all continued to work for me since the public betas with just standard iMac18,3 system definition. I never changed board-id or edited any info.plist.

Edit:
I also never had any problems with my Skylake system using iMac17,1.

As I stated earlier in this thread, Quick Look and hardware encoding/decoding all continued to work for me since the public betas with just standard iMac18,3 system definition. I never changed board-id or edited any info.plist.

Edit:
I also never had any problems with my Skylake system using iMac17,1.

I never said you had a problem. I am glad everything works ok at your side. I am just explaining some facts. Maybe other people are happy with this info.

But to be realistic. What really helps (and what is the biggest solution for allot smbios selections) Apple is now supporting allot AMD cards ;). Hooray! This was the main problem. And that is fixed.

I never said you had a problem. I am glad everything works ok at your side. I am just explaining some facts. Maybe other people are happy with this info.

I'm just trying to figure out why things work for some and not for others. I don't understand the inconsistency....

I'm just trying to figure out why things work for some and not for others. I don't understand the inconsistency....

I Understand ;) i think apple was inconsistent in supporting graphics cards. In the early beta days of Mojave for example, only some Pulse RX580 where supported in for example a 6,1 bios or the early 2010 and 2012 mac pro. Now more chipsets are supported out of the box (like the rx560 for example). as you can read at apple support.

Last edited:

The inconsistency are the same as that guy in your thread that is running your setup and has a billion issues from no video, to mouse stuttering. For example why does my system lock up and have one screen go white and one go black but it does not do that for you? Seems like if I have a bunch of finder windows open it happens much much faster. I see posts on the internet where users in windows have this problem. People say it has to do with the SOC Clock dipping and that locking out the P states of the video card will fix it... However we can not do that and when I change the memory clock with Vtab I get a back screen when the log in screen should come up. And the GPUTach lights light up one at a time in progression till they are all on. Keep in mind I had the black and grey/white screens with the both the Vega 64 I am using now and the Vega 56 that I was using and is now in a windows box with no issues processing renderings, and point clouds. I have even went as far as Hijacking my GF computer (I5 Coffee lake Asus Strix z370) putting my card and drive in her system same crashes.

I Understand ;) i think apple was inconsistent in supporting graphics cards. In the early beta days of Mojave for example, only some Pulse RX580 where supported in for example a 6,1 bios or the early 2010 and 2012 mac pro. Now more chipsets are supported out of the box (like the rx560 for example). as you can read at apple support.

Hi all.

Though I understand the point about simply changing a System Definition to one which "just works" I'm baffled as to what the Board ID filtering is for, if modifying it causes or resolves a problem.

As I pointed out in post #134 the Info.plist in the framework contains Board IDs which have been excluded, somehow, from hardware-rendering JPEG files. I use and like iMac14,2 because of its previous complete reliability, but it's on this list. It relates to a real Apple machine from 2013 but it has apparently been "black-listed". A MacPro6,1, also from 2013, is not in that Board ID plist and works without problems.

What gives? Why is there a need for Apple to do this? Why cripple hardware rendering of something as common as JPEG viewing?

o_O

The inconsistency are the same as that guy in your thread that is running your setup and has a billion issues from no video, to mouse stuttering. For example why does my system lock up and have one screen go white and one go black but it does not do that for you? Seems like if I have a bunch of finder windows open it happens much much faster. I see posts on the internet where users in windows have this problem. People say it has to do with the SOC Clock dipping and that locking out the P states of the video card will fix it... However we can not do that and when I change the memory clock with Vtab I get a back screen when the log in screen should come up. And the GPUTach lights light up one at a time in progression till they are all on. Keep in mind I had the black and grey/white screens with the both the Vega 64 I am using now and the Vega 56 that I was using and is now in a windows box with no issues processing renderings, and point clouds. I have even went as far as Hijacking my GF computer (I5 Coffee lake Asus Strix z370) putting my card and drive in her system same crashes.

Again, I don't understand the inconsistencies. I honestly wish I could have some hands on time with your systems to try and resolve those issues...

What gives? Why is there a need for Apple to do this? Why cripple hardware rendering of something as common as JPEG viewing?

o_O
This should work without any hacks when the IGPU is configured in the way macOS expects when a discrete card is also in use as the main display.

What works in previous macOS versions or for using the IGPU as the primary display device (e.g. Clover injecting 'InjectIntel' device properties and ig-platform-id with connected devices) may not work in the present scenario. If it works you can see these green entries under IntelAccelerator, wrong configuration then no IntelAccelerator and no JPEG decoding.

Screenshot 2018-09-28 at 23.18.19.png

These patches or your motherboard-specific ones probably help.

Code:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename GFX0 to IGPU</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>R0ZYMA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SUdQVQ==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename HECI to IMEI</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>TUVJXw==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU1FSQ==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename PEGP to GFX0</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>UEVHUA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>R0ZYMA==</data>
</dict>

With those and no Intel graphics injection, for me at least, Preview and Quicklook work as expected.

This should work without any hacks when the IGPU is configured in the way macOS expects when a discrete card is also in use as the main display.

What works in previous macOS versions or for using the IGPU as the primary display device (e.g. Clover injecting 'InjectIntel' device properties and ig-platform-id with connected devices) may not work in the present scenario. If it works you can see these green entries under IntelAccelerator, wrong configuration then no IntelAccelerator and no JPEG decoding.

View attachment 353736

These patches or your motherboard-specific ones probably help.

Code:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename GFX0 to IGPU</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>R0ZYMA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SUdQVQ==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename HECI to IMEI</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>TUVJXw==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU1FSQ==</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Rename PEGP to GFX0</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>UEVHUA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>R0ZYMA==</data>
</dict>

With those and no Intel graphics injection, for me at least, Preview and Quicklook work as expected.

I just wanted to add that to see these in green, play a YouTube video or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back