Contribute
Register

Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

So I got the UEFI installed, however I am having a boot issue that is very troubling.

The main issue with that is that on reboot, the PC will start to boot (one beep, fans spin up) then it restarts (no beep, fans turn off and spin up again) then it restarts the final time (one beep, fans spin up and it works). This just happens after the new UEFI BIOS. I upgraded from F10.

If anyone has advice, please let me know. Thanks!

Try clearing your CMOS properly, i.e. power off your system, pull out the power cords, take out the battery and leave the system for 15 minutes, put the battery back in and then the power cables. You'll have to set up all the UEFI/BIOS settings again, but that should clear out any oddities like that. That is of course unless there's a bug in the UEFI, it's a Beta release after all.

Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

My system is: Intel Core i5-3570K cpu, GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard, 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz*DDR3 and a Segate barracuda 500 gb HDD.

I've bought Mt. Lion and created USB drive with Unibeast 1.5.3. then applied these BIOS settings.

During installation, when showing the Apple Logo with the spinner, it just sits there for like 2 minutes then a "no entry" sign comes up over the logo.

I've tried the -v -x boot options and the system keeps showing "Still waiting for root device" (see attached).

Any idea?

Attachments

• Messages.jpg
    Messages.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 155

My system is: Intel Core i5-3570K cpu, GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard, 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz*DDR3 and a Segate barracuda 500 gb HDD.

I've bought Mt. Lion and created USB drive with Unibeast 1.5.3. then applied these BIOS settings.

During installation, when showing the Apple Logo with the spinner, it just sits there for like 2 minutes then a "no entry" sign comes up over the logo.

I've tried the -v -x boot options and the system keeps showing "Still waiting for root device" (see attached).

Any idea?

Fixed: USB flash drive was plugged into USB 3.0 port, it seems that the installer is able to run only from USB 2.0

Now Mt. Lion is up and running.

Thanks

Is the xHCI mode set to Auto in the UEFI? As otherwise it doesn't work to boot from USB 3.0.

Is the xHCI mode set to Auto in the UEFI? As otherwise it doesn't work to boot from USB 3.0.

I have the same exact hardware as vidi2000 and I could not get past "waiting for root device" during unibeast boot with xHCI set to auto. I could only get past this with xHCI set to disable.

I have the same exact hardware as vidi2000 and I could not get past "waiting for root device" during unibeast boot with xHCI set to auto. I could only get past this with xHCI set to disable.

What hardware are you using and did you update to the latest UEFI?

Fixed: USB flash drive was plugged into USB 3.0 port, it seems that the installer is able to run only from USB 2.0

Now Mt. Lion is up and running.

Thanks

It would appear that there's something of an issue with the Intel USB 3.0 ports, they only operate at USB 3.0 in OS X, so if you use a USB 2.0 drive, the drive isn't detected by OS X. Very odd issue and we're looking into trying to solve it.

I've actually found a really good reason to enable EHCI hand off, at least on the boards with VLI VL810 USB 3.0 hubs, but this might apply to all boards. Hot swapping USB devices appear to stop working if you don't enable EHCI hand off on the GA-Z77X-UD5H and GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, so it's clearly not a pointless setting to enable.

thelostswede said:
It would appear that there's something of an issue with the Intel USB 3.0 ports, they only operate at USB 3.0 in OS X, so if you use a USB 2.0 drive, the drive isn't detected by OS X. Very odd issue and we're looking into trying to solve it.

Thanks for this guide!

I experienced the same non-issue as chippo911 - system does not restart on OS shutdown, unless USB 3.0 ports are in use (regardless of Wake on LAN settings).

I have also noticed my 2.0 drives are undetected when plugged into 3.0 ports. Please keep us posted!

I was having problems with USB after waking from sleep; setting XHCI to ENABLED fixed it. Auto is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back