Contribute
Register

Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

I was having problems with USB after waking from sleep; setting XHCI to ENABLED fixed it. Auto is wrong.

No, xHCI Auto isn't wrong, what you need to do is make sure xHCI and EHCI hand off are enabled or you can't hot-plug USB devices. That said, it seems to differ somewhat between the various boards, as it seems Gigabyte has made slightly different UEFI implementations for some weird reason.

Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

I was having problems with USB after waking from sleep; setting XHCI to ENABLED fixed it. Auto is wrong.

Ok, I've done some further testing and I guess the problem you're referring to is the laggy mouse and keyboard for about 20 seconds after wake from sleep. This is indeed solved by setting xHCI to Enabled, but in doing so, you also lose USB 3.0 functionality. Some of my USB 3.0 devices won't even show up if connected to the USB 3.0 ports that are directly connected to the Intel chipset on the Z77X-UP5 TH (UEFI F6).
Updating to 10.8.1 doesn't appear to change a thing, so it's clearly a UEFI/OSX driver communication problem we're looking at here. In Auto mode, USB 2.0 devices don't work in the Intel USB 3.0 ports, although oddly enough I've gotten them to work by plugging them in, putting the system to sleep and then waking it back up again:?::!:

If you don't need USB 3.0 speed, then set xHCI to disable and you should be just fine and the lag should go away. That said, we had one user reporting that using XMP caused the same lag for him, but setting his memory speeds manually solved this issue, but I haven't had time to check that yet.

I can use USB 2 devices on the 3 ports with Auto, but when I use an XMP profile is when I get USB oddness when waking from sleep. How does one set the memory speed manually without using XMP?

I can use USB 2 devices on the 3 ports with Auto, but when I use an XMP profile is when I get USB oddness when waking from sleep. How does one set the memory speed manually without using XMP?

By going into the memory settings in the UEFI? Try having a look in the manual, it's all there.

By going into the memory settings in the UEFI? Try having a look in the manual, it's all there.

I guess I've tried that, but the only way to get my memory up to 1600MHz (which is what it's supposed to be) is to use the XMP. When I try to do it manually in the UEFI my options are grayed out. But I'll give the manual another look and see if I've forgotten something obvious...

Yeah, all the settings are grayed out. It's Profile 1 for 1600MHz or nothing. That seems really odd to me. Perhaps I've got some bad memory.

Yeah, all the settings are grayed out. It's Profile 1 for 1600MHz or nothing. That seems really odd to me. Perhaps I've got some bad memory.

You're doing it all wrong...
I guess another guide might be needed...

You're doing it all wrong...
I guess another guide might be needed...

Ha! Blast. Well now I just feel bad.

Thanks TLS, yes, ENABLED does kill USB 3.0 :(

I did do the brilliantly pointless RAM overclocking. It's stable, and it's hard to see how it could cause such a problem, but it's possible, I guess. In any event, since 3.0 doesn't work with ENABLED (just confirmed that, 3.0 USB stick only showed up when plugged into the 2.0 port, but 2.0 devices worked in 3.0 ports) I guess I might as well set it to DISABLED. I'll update when I've gotten around to testing more.

Hello,

I've also been trying to get to the bottom of the strange USB behavior on my GA-Z77X-UD3H / i5-3570k
The problem when waking up from sleep is not just laggy mouse, but laggy everything, including for example the Time Machine revolving clock icon while backing up, and it doesn't improve after 20 seconds.

Leaving the activity monitor open ahead of time, one can see a kernel task taking 300plus%, so OS-X seems to be struggling with something, and only a reboot helps.

Disabling the memory XMS profile as someone suggested doesn't change anything on this, either.

Then the USB 3 support on the ports controlled by the Z77 chip seems to depend a lot on the peripheral that is attached.
I've now tried three devices:
Verbatim 'Store N Go' 16GB USB3 stick works ok, but the speed is a little more than half of what it is in dual-booting to Windows (Mac 43 MB/s versus 70 MB/s in Windows).

A Transcend USB 3 card reader TS-RDF8K doesn't work at all under OS-X. It mounts the volume, but any read or write attempt gives a disk error.

The one that works best is a self-powered Enermax USB3 3.5” Sata hd enclosure -- in the System profile it shows up as Product ID 0x0888 Vendor ID 0x1f75 (Innostor Co., Ltd.)
and it gets 73 MB/s on both Windows and OS-X (that must be the speed of the mechanical 3.5" drive in it -- don't have an extra SSD to test it with right now).

That said, I'm very happy with the rig: it's 3x as fast as the old MacPro1,1 it replaces, completely silent and uses 40 to 70 Watts compared to the MacPro's 200W, so it'll pay for itself in saved electricity alone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back