Contribute
Register

Problem installing OS X and Windows on same drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
HD4600 (iGPU)
I wanted to Dualboot Windows 8.1 and Yosemite on my ASUS Maximus VI Hero.
I patched the board with the UEFIPatcher and prepared a USB Stick with Clover and Yosemite.
All the settings where ok, AHCI enabled, CFG Lock disabled, CSM disabled, Secureboot set to Other OS.

I already had Windows installed and resized the partition so I could fit the Yosemite installation on the free space, but when I started the Disk Utility from the Yosemite installer and wanted to format the partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but when I pressed apply, the Disk Utility would hang at "Preparing to partition disk". Since it was a UEFI installation of Windows, I can confirm that the drive was pure GPT, no Hybrid MBR or anything like that.

Then I thought, ok then I'll reinstall Windows, so I used the Disk Utility to create two partitions with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID Partition Table, one for Yosemite and one for Windows.
Yosemite would install fine, but when I booted the Windows Installer and deleted the second partition with it and wanted to install Windows to the free space, it would exit with an error that it couldn't create a system partition or find an existing one, even when creating these partitions manually with the "New" button, the same message appeared.

I also tried to format the drive with Windows first and then tried to make a partition for Yosemite with the Disk Utility, but then again, it would just hang on "Preparing to partition disk".
I also tried to partition the disk as a pure GPT drive with GParted, which also didn't work.

I can only install Windows OR Yosemite on that single drive... I also couldn't find anyone with that problem on the internet. :crazy:
It seems like Windows partitions the drive in a way, disk utility can't handle and the disk utility does the same thing other way around, but it IS GPT, I didn't create a FAT partition or anything like that, which would cause a Hybrid MBR, it is PURE GPT, so why the hell does this stupid Disk Utility hang??

I wanted to Dualboot Windows 8.1 and Yosemite on my ASUS Maximus VI Hero.
I patched the board with the UEFIPatcher and prepared a USB Stick with Clover and Yosemite.
All the settings where ok, AHCI enabled, CFG Lock disabled, CSM disabled, Secureboot set to Other OS.

I already had Windows installed and resized the partition so I could fit the Yosemite installation on the free space, but when I started the Disk Utility from the Yosemite installer and wanted to format the partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but when I pressed apply, the Disk Utility would hang at "Preparing to partition disk". Since it was a UEFI installation of Windows, I can confirm that the drive was pure GPT, no Hybrid MBR or anything like that.

Then I thought, ok then I'll reinstall Windows, so I used the Disk Utility to create two partitions with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID Partition Table, one for Yosemite and one for Windows.
Yosemite would install fine, but when I booted the Windows Installer and deleted the second partition with it and wanted to install Windows to the free space, it would exit with an error that it couldn't create a system partition or find an existing one, even when creating these partitions manually with the "New" button, the same message appeared.

I also tried to format the drive with Windows first and then tried to make a partition for Yosemite with the Disk Utility, but then again, it would just hang on "Preparing to partition disk".
I also tried to partition the disk as a pure GPT drive with GParted, which also didn't work.

I can only install Windows OR Yosemite on that single drive... I also couldn't find anyone with that problem on the internet. :crazy:
It seems like Windows partitions the drive in a way, disk utility can't handle and the disk utility does the same thing other way around, but it IS GPT, I didn't create a FAT partition or anything like that, which would cause a Hybrid MBR, it is PURE GPT, so why the hell does this stupid Disk Utility hang??

Perform the re-partition and formating (format one partition as HFS+J and another one as MS-DOS FAT) through disk utility and install the OS X.

Once it is completed, boot into the windows Installer and format the MS-DOS FAT partition as NTFS through CMD which is available under the repair section. Restart the machine then again boot into the Windows Installer. Continue windows installation.

Perform the re-partition and formating (format one partition as HFS+J and another one as NTFS)through disk utility and install the OS X.

Once it is completed, boot into the windows Installer and make the NTFS formatted partition as "Active" through CMD which is available under the repair section. Restart the machine then again boot into the Windows Installer. Continue windows installation.

You can't mark a partition as active with GPT partition tables, this is an MBR "feature"... Also you can't create an NTFS partition with the Disk Utility.

Edit: What I haven't tried is, to use GParted to create a HFS+ partition and then install OS X to that partition, would that be possible? Do I also have to create an EFI partition with 200MB like Disk Utility does?

You can't mark a partition as active with GPT partition tables, this is an MBR "feature"... Also you can't create an NTFS partition with the Disk Utility.

Edit: What I haven't tried is, to use GParted to create a HFS+ partition and then install OS X to that partition, would that be possible? Do I also have to create an EFI partition with 200MB like Disk Utility does?
Orginal post#2 corrected.

Orginal post#2 corrected.

And it is still wrong, formatting a partition to FAT with Disk Utility will create a Hybrid MBR partition table.

You can't install an EFI Windows to an MBR partitioned drive. And I can't use MBR partition tables because I disabled CSM which forces me to use UEFI which means I have to use GPT, besides I don't even want to use MBR.

And it is still wrong, formatting a partition to FAT with Disk Utility will create a Hybrid MBR partition table.

You can't install an EFI Windows to an MBR partitioned drive. And I can't use MBR partition tables because I disabled CSM which forces me to use UEFI which means I have to use GPT, besides I don't even want to use MBR.
Why don't you try legacy installation of windows? Through your CLOVER you can boot into OS X and Legacy Windows.

Why don't you try legacy installation of windows? Through your CLOVER you can boot into OS X and Legacy Windows.

I said I disabled CSM which forces me to use UEFI so I can't use legacy!!!
I'm sorry for acting like a douche but this is the third time now, that you didn't even read what I said. :-X

I said I disabled CSM which forces me to use UEFI so I can't use legacy!!!
I'm sorry for acting like a douche but this is the third time now, that you didn't even read what I said. :-X
What i am saying is, after installation of OSX and CLOVER. Boot into your Legacy Windows Installation Media through CLOVER. Not through BIOS

What i am saying is, after installation of OSX and CLOVER. Boot into your Legacy Windows Installation Media through CLOVER. Not through BIOS

Alright I'm going to shoot myself now.

I want to use Windows in UEFI mode and then I wan't to use the Windows Bootmanager to chainload Clover. I won't use legacy because this doesn't solve my problem, it's only a workaround. Even IF it works to boot legacy with a UEFI bootloader, it's not a solution to my problem.

Also try to create two partition while installing OS X with HFS+J.

After booting to your UEFI Windows Installation media try to format the partition as NTFS through the CMD and continue the installation. These all are suggestions only even i had not tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back