Contribute
Register

Problem installing OS X and Windows on same drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also try to create two partition while installing OS X with HFS+J.

After booting to your UEFI Windows Installation media try to format the partition as NTFS through the CMD and continue the installation. These all are suggestions only even i had not tested.

Please, WHY DON'T YOU READ FFS???

I already said in the first post, that I did that HERE!!

I used the Disk Utility to create two partitions with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID Partition Table, one for Yosemite and one for Windows.

Please, WHY DON'T YOU READ FFS???

I already said in the first post, that I did that HERE!!
Yes you mentioned the same in the first post as like below.
Then I thought, ok then I'll reinstall Windows, so I used the Disk Utility to create two partitions with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID Partition Table, one for Yosemite and one for Windows.
Yosemite would install fine, but when I booted the Windows Installer and deleted the second partition with it and wanted to install Windows to the free space, it would exit with an error that it couldn't create a system partition or find an existing one, even when creating these partitions manually with the "New" button, the same message appeared.
You only tried to create/format the partition through windows installation GUI. Even when i was trying to install the windows in legacy mode for dual booting i couldn't format the partition through GUI. While trying it, appeared same message as you got. I formated the same partition through CMD and successfully installed Windows. That's why i requested you to try formatting through CMD. Have you tried this.??
Atleast for me you try the CMD(DISKPART) way too. If you are not interested to try or already tried then ignore this post

You only tried to create/format the partition through windows installation GUI.

I used diskpart but that doesn't help. It's not about formatting, it DOES format, but it won't install, it creates all the NTFS partitions but the error message appears when it tries to start the installation.

Instead when I delete the HFS+ partitions and try to install Windows it works without problems, the installer doesn't want to install Windows when there are existing HFS+ partitions and the OS X Disk Utility doesn't want to format when there are Windows partitions, it seems like they aren't compatible at all when using EFI..

I used diskpart but that doesn't help. It's not about formatting, it DOES format, but it won't install, it creates all the NTFS partitions but the error message appears when it tries to start the installation.

Instead when I delete the HFS+ partitions and try to install Windows it works without problems, the installer doesn't want to install Windows when there are existing HFS+ partitions and the OS X Disk Utility doesn't want to format when there are Windows partitions.
Cool....
Till the time you are trying different methods. I am just suggesting to do that DISKPART method too. I don't have UEFI Platform to try otherwise i will try before suggesting to you.

Cool....
Till the time you are trying different methods. I am just suggesting to do that DISKPART method too. I don't have UEFI Platform to try otherwise i will try before suggesting to you.

Like I said, diskpart doesn't help I tried it.

I don't multi boot so I can't offer much help but I do know that we have a multi booting guide just in case you haven't seen it :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

(it says Mountain Lion but it works on later versions too)

Good Luck

Thanks, sadly I already crawled through the whole internet and with every dual booting guide, they use hybrid MBR partition tables, also in the guide you posted, but I have to boot the Windows installer in legacy mode to install it to a hybrid MBR partition, the Windows EFI installer wouldn't let me install it to an MBR partitioned drive. But since I have CSM disabled, which is a requirement for my ASUS Maximus mainboard, I can't boot to legacy mode and I also don't want that, since I wan't to have the ASUS ROG Bootlogo from my mb which wouldn't work in legacy mode.

I mean the drive has pure GPT partition tables, which allows me to install OS X aswell EFI Windows, the only thing that keeps me from doing this is the problem that Disk Utility freezes when I try to create a HFS+ partition with it...

Also creating an NTFS partition with diskpart or any other tool wouldn't work, since EFI Windows needs 4 partitions, one for the EFI files, one recovery partition, one MSR partition and the last NTFS partition for Windows itself.
Legacy Windows only needs two, which is the System Reserved partition and the NTFS partition for Windows which also can be combined into one partition, but like I said, I need EFI.

Thanks, sadly I already crawled through the whole internet and with every dual booting guide, they use hybrid MBR partition tables, also in the guide you posted, but I have to boot the Windows installer in legacy mode to install it to a hybrid MBR partition, the Windows EFI installer wouldn't let me install it to an MBR partitioned drive. But since I have CSM disabled, which is a requirement for my ASUS Maximus mainboard, I can't boot to legacy mode and I also don't want that, since I wan't to have the ASUS ROG Bootlogo from my mb which wouldn't work in legacy mode.

I mean the drive has pure GPT partition tables, which allows me to install OS X aswell EFI Windows, the only thing that keeps me from doing this is the problem that Disk Utility freezes when I try to create a HFS+ partition with it...

I see - Well the only other thing I could suggest is that you post in our Multi Booting forum :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/other-operating-systems/

Maybe someone there will have an idea how to accomplish your goal.

Good Luck

I already crawled through the whole internet and with every dual booting guide, they use hybrid MBR partition tables, also in the guide you posted, but I have to boot the Windows installer in legacy mode to install it to a hybrid MBR partition, the Windows EFI installer wouldn't let me install it to an MBR partitioned drive. But since I have CSM disabled, which is a requirement for my ASUS Maximus mainboard, I can't boot to legacy mode and I also don't want that, since I wan't to have the ASUS ROG Bootlogo from my mb which wouldn't work in legacy mode.
I have a doubt here..
As i mentioned in post#8. You can use UEFI boot into the CLOVER. From clover you can boot into the legacy windows installation media without enabling the CSM in BIOS as the remaining services are handling by CLOVER.

As you mentioned in post#9, If you want to handle dual boot with windows boot manager instead of CLOVER. No idea on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back