Contribute
Register

Problem after updating to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Toleda - I don't think the "system is damaged". I believe this is a sweeping issue for this board and the audio codec used. Look at over 50% of the people having problems here in this thread alone, they are for this board. However, as also noted, some work fine. There were two versions of this motherboard. Maybe one is a *slightly* different codec or how the audio interfaces with it? This seems to be a problem specific to 889 users across multiple boards.

That being said - I tried your suggestions. None of my installs failed at any point, so here are the results below.

1. I never had the Generic USB kext
2. I booted without the use of kernel cache - still no audio
3. Reinstalled the Combo - the native AppleHDA kext was present - installed MB - rebooted, still no audio
4. I do not have the Generic USB kext - I never installed it and it is a 3rd party kext.

I have attached my IOReg per your suggestion.

Attachments

• z68noaudiodump.ioreg
    3.5 MB · Views: 107
Sorry Toleda - I don't think the "system is damaged". I believe this is a sweeping issue for this board and the audio codec used.
Thanks for the information. Ignoring the GenericUSBXHCI.kext issue, here are some observations:
1. The problem is best represented with System Information/Software/Extensions. A properly loaded AppleHDA.kext will have two entries, 1. AppleHDA and 2. AppleHDAController. If the AppleHDA entry is missing, there result is no audio.
after-cache-rebuild.png
2. The missing AppleHDA occurs on the reboot after the 10.8.5 Combo Update is applied.
3. The problem occurs with the native AppleHDA.kext (Combo Installer/no MultiBeast) and the patched AppleHDA.kext (Combo Installer/MultiBeast).
4. Testing the native AppleHDA.kext (copied from an effected system) works in 10.8.5 (non-effected system). Most (not all) MultiBeast/ALC AppleHDAs have been tested and working in 10.8.5
5. Once the problem occurs, a fix has not been found to repair the problem.
6. Current solutions: 1. Restore 10.8.4 and 2. Fresh install (App Store) 10.8.5

If you or anyone else is interested, an experiment for those systems with the missing AppleHDA:
1. Finder/Move to Trash/S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext. Give the system a minute or two to rebuild cache.
2. Restart.
3. MultiBeast/audio
4. Restart
5. Reply with System Information/Software/Extensions/AppleHDA and IOReg.

Hi Toleda,

I know, we are not supposed to talk about non released software, but do you think, that we would have this problem on the mavericks too?

Hi toleda,

did the prodedure you told...

still no audio... :(

Board is GA- Z68xp UD4 -> ALC 889 everything is fine but no audio

> If you or anyone else is interested, an experiment for those systems with the missing AppleHDA:
> 1. Finder/Move to Trash/S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext. Give the system a minute or two to rebuild cache.
> 2. Restart.
> 3. MultiBeast/audio
> 4. Restart
> 5. Reply with System Information/Software/Extensions/AppleHDA and IOReg.

Attached IOReg and screenshot of System Information/Software/Extensions/AppleHDAController ... there is no AppleHDA as you can see.

edit: not sure if its important, but on apple TV and AirportExpress there ist sound without problems

many thanks for your time!!!

flool

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-15 um 19.53.47.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-15 um 19.53.47.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 170
  • MacPro.ioreg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110
Just restartet with -v and watched closely.

Found the lines you can see in the Attachement.

There is no output recognized in systemsettings

Don`t know if that matters?!

Thx!

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-15 um 20.28.35.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-15 um 20.28.35.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 173
I am also having this issue on a GB GA-P67A-UD3-B3 F9 board. Tried all of the suggestions. Don't think that AppleHDA has showed up in the ioreg or Extensions report on any of them.

VooDoo also does not load (currently deleted).

I should note that I have those 3 AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB stack traces that have been previously observed. They seem to happen even when no sound driver is present, so I think that they may be unrelated and just happen at the approximate time that the sound driver fails. I have a GTX 650. (And I'm hoping that this update solves the Final Cut Pro X Rendering bug that the 650 has).

What I do see is 'Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 504. And beforehand I had a different line with the Multibeast AppleHDA (currently using the one noted specifically for 10.8.5).

My symptoms are also that I see the Volume as an active control, but there is never any sound, and no actual devices underneath the Intel HD Audio Controller. I can get sound output over AirPlay.

Currently, I do see the AppleHDAController loaded in spite of the assertion, but no AppleHDA extension.

AppleHDAController:

Version: 2.4.7
Last Modified: 9/15/13 3:33 PM
Get Info String: 2.4.7fc2, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005 -2013
Kind: Intel
Architectures: x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext
Kext Version: 2.4.7fc2
Load Address: 0xffffff7f81fe2000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

If there's no solution, I guess I'll need a USB sound card as I don't want to downgrade (because of FCPX). Any recommendations?

-Rid

I am also having this issue on a GB GA-P67A-UD3-B3 F9 board. Tried all of the suggestions. Don't think that AppleHDA has showed up in the ioreg or Extensions report on any of them.

VooDoo also does not load (currently deleted).

I should note that I have those 3 AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB stack traces that have been previously observed. They seem to happen even when no sound driver is present, so I think that they may be unrelated and just happen at the approximate time that the sound driver fails. I have a GTX 650. (And I'm hoping that this update solves the Final Cut Pro X Rendering bug that the 650 has).

What I do see is 'Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 504. And beforehand I had a different line with the Multibeast AppleHDA (currently using the one noted specifically for 10.8.5).

My symptoms are also that I see the Volume as an active control, but there is never any sound, and no actual devices underneath the Intel HD Audio Controller. I can get sound output over AirPlay.

Currently, I do see the AppleHDAController loaded in spite of the assertion, but no AppleHDA extension.

AppleHDAController:

Version: 2.4.7
Last Modified: 9/15/13 3:33 PM
Get Info String: 2.4.7fc2, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005 -2013
Kind: Intel
Architectures: x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext
Kext Version: 2.4.7fc2
Load Address: 0xffffff7f81fe2000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

If there's no solution, I guess I'll need a USB sound card as I don't want to downgrade (because of FCPX). Any recommendations?

-Rid

those 3 AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB crashes happen on my macbook pro too...

Thanks for testing.

Heya Toleda - I did what you said.

1) Deleted AppleHDA - waited for kextd/kernelcache process to finish
2) Rebooted
3) Reinstalled audio with MB
4) Rebooted

Still no audio unfortunately. I have attached my IOReg once again.

Please let me know when you make some headway!

Attachments

• z68postHDAdeletereinstallMB.ioreg
    3.4 MB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back