Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just a fresh in install of Mojave, everything is stable, however any time I try to open an image in Preview the program freezes. I can get it open PDFs and one other .PNG file to open, also if I open a PDF and then Tumbnails, I can place an image in there with no issue.

I've tried doing setting a new system definition, that didn't work. I've tried changing BIOs settings as mentioned in the link below:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...y7X1gblE1OS9K2dMTWAWMOptPtrkJzbBiCrmqtpTsxGUI

I also noticed that I am missing the apple.com.preview.plist file for Preview in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

Any suggestions on how fix this? Thanks.

I just a fresh in install of Mojave, everything is stable, however any time I try to open an image in Preview the program freezes. I can get it open PDFs and one other .PNG file to open, also if I open a PDF and then Tumbnails, I can place an image in there with no issue.

I've tried doing setting a new system definition, that didn't work. I've tried changing BIOs settings as mentioned in the link below:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...y7X1gblE1OS9K2dMTWAWMOptPtrkJzbBiCrmqtpTsxGUI

I also noticed that I am missing the apple.com.preview.plist file for Preview in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

Any suggestions on how fix this? Thanks.

Hi there,

Yep, it's a very well-known problem with Mojave.

A lot of effort was expended in the days after Mojave was released - changing system-definition to Mac Pro 5.1 (if I remember correctly) fixed it, along with enabling your iGPU alongside any discrete GPU.

Then experienced member @vulgo produced a simple kext - NoVPAJPEG.kext which is a Lilu plug-in so you will need Lilu.kext too - that fixed the problem without having to enable the iGPU or change a sys-def.

The repository is here but there is a thread on Tonymacx86 about it too.

My view is that it is simpler to stick with the sys-def you are happy and confident with rather than change it. I tried and it caused too many headaches. NoVPAJPEJ.kext works fine for most people (unless you are averse to extra kexts etc). If you want to try it, put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

:)

Last edited:
My view is that it is simpler to stick with the sys-def you are happy and confident with rather than change it. I tried and it caused too many headaches. NoVPAJPEJ.kext works fine for most people (unless you are averse to extra kexts etc). If you want to try it, put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

The only issue I have is I can't find the EFI folder, I have EFI-Backup and I've gone through the whole folder and didn't find Clover/Kexts/other. Should I create those folders or is there another location?

Also, I found lilu.kext in Library/Extensions. Would that suffice or I do need to it the same place as NoVPAJPEJ.kext?

The only issue I have is I can't find the EFI folder, I have EFI-Backup and I've gone through the whole folder and didn't find Clover/Kexts/other. Should I create those folders or is there another location?

Also, I found lilu.kext in Library/Extensions. Would that suffice or I do need to it the same place as NoVPAJPEJ.kext?

With a standard UniBeast/MultiBeast installation, if you use EFI Mounter v3 you should be able to mount the hidden disk partition the EFI folder is on. Once you have the drive icon on your desktop just use Finder to navigate. The EFI Backup folder is usually in the root of your main drive which we don't need at this point.

Yes, I would place NoVPAJPEG in the same directory as Lilu.:thumbup: Either should work, though the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other is read earlier in the boot process.

I'm stumped at the moment. I mounted the EFI drive and placed a Lilu.kext file (there still is one in the extensions folder) along with the NoVAPJPEG.kext, and I'm still getting Preview to freeze every time it opens a .jpg. I tried both the release and the debugging from the link below. I'm not to keen modifying BIOs settings as I don't want them to screw with the windows drive. Am I missing something or did I screw up something?

Could missing the "apple.com.preview.plist" file also be an issue?

By the, I do appreciate the help, thank you!

I'm stumped at the moment. I mounted the EFI drive and placed a Lilu.kext file (there still is one in the extensions folder) along with the NoVAPJPEG.kext, and I'm still getting Preview to freeze every time it opens a .jpg. I tried both the release and the debugging from the link below. I'm not to keen modifying BIOs settings as I don't want them to screw with the windows drive. Am I missing something or did I screw up something?

Could missing the "apple.com.preview.plist" file also be an issue?

By the, I do appreciate the help, thank you!

Hmmm. You don't mention which system-definition you are using. That might be relevant. The missing plist file is interesting.

Is your GTX760 working ok? I'm guessing here, but is it recognised correctly in System Report? Obviously there are no Nvidia drivers for Mojave so I'm wondering if it is natively supported. Some 7## series were.

My system definition is an iMac 14,2, I tried changing to a later iMac and had to change back in the Clover settings as the screen went blank right after the apple logo.

My GTX 760 is recognized by the system, my monitor is plugged through it; however I did install Cuda and it keeps telling me I need an update, despite being the latest version.

I could update my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) to Mojave and copy the .plist file to the Hackintosh if you think that will work.

My system definition is an iMac 14,2, I tried changing to a later iMac and had to change back in the Clover settings as the screen went blank right after the apple logo.

My GTX 760 is recognized by the system, my monitor is plugged through it; however I did install Cuda and it keeps telling me I need an update, despite being the latest version.

I could update my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) to Mojave and copy the .plist file to the Hackintosh if you think that will work.

Well I'm not 100% sure but is there a CUDA driver for Mojave? I thought that needed Nvidia web-drivers and there are none yet.

Sys-def 14,2 is fine in my book :thumbup:

Given you have no plist at all I doubt it would hurt trying the one from your MacBook. See what happens. You can always boot in safe mode if there's a problem, and remove it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back