Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not had time to update yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Having just seen 10.12.5 is out, but this being my first hackintosh, would be grateful for any news if the 10.12.5 update on an 8300 goes smoothly (i.e. can just be done like a normal mac, via the App Store or the Combo updater).

These 8300 systems are the most compatible (w/ macOS) pre-builts I've ever seen. I wouldn't worry about updating at all. If there is any problem it should be quite easy to fix. That being said, it's a good practice to make a CCC or Super Duper backup before proceeding with an OS update.

If there was a working ALC221 kext these would be the Golden Build of all the pre-built CustoMac systems. You can run literally anything on these, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, even Chrome OS has full hardware support on the Elite 8300s. You can download and try it here: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

Here's a detailed list of everything that is supported when you install their version of Chrome OS:
You can install it to an 8GB flash drive and boot from that first just to see how it goes without installing.
Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As I suspected, it was a price mistake and the seller is asking $200 now. I found another one which is probably a better option. Seller asking $230.

HP Elite E9280T Desktop PC

CPU: Intel i7-920, 2.66GHz (2.93 w/Intel Turbo Boost) Quad Core Processor with 8 Threads.

Motherboard: HP/Asus Truckee CPU 1 w/Intel X58 Chipset

Memory: 12GB RAM DDR3 (Triple Channel, Upgradeable to 24GB)

Storage: 2TB Hard Drive, 7200RPM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB, Dual DVI

Optical Drive(s): DVD-ROM

Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Power: Antec 500W 80+ BRONZE Power Supply

This seems like a ready to go set up for me. With upgrading to SSD, Wifi card, and more RAM later on.
My only issue is ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB, will I be able to use it? Is it any good or should I upgrade immediately? My preference is to use it temporarily until I find a deal on a better GPU.

Also, what do you think of SSD RAID0 set up? Should I go for it?
I've SSD RAID0 on my MBP Mid-2012 running very well.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. As I suspected, it was a price mistake and the seller is asking $200 now. I found another one which is probably a better option. Seller asking $230.

This seems like a ready to go set up for me. With upgrading to SSD, Wifi card, and more RAM later on.
My only issue is ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB, will I be able to use it? Is it any good or should I upgrade immediately? My preference is to use it temporarily until I find a deal on a better GPU.

Also, what do you think of SSD RAID0 set up? Should I go for it?
I've SSD RAID0 on my MBP Mid-2012 running very well.

Thanks.

This one is an older chipset/CPU. Personally, I would not purchase this one.

This one is an older chipset/CPU. Personally, I would not purchase this one.

My other option is HP Compaq Elite 8100/8200 i7. The seller didn't specify the model, but I assume that is similar to the first one. I'll check with them tomorrow. They're offering it with 4GB RAM, No HDD, GPU, nor OS for $130.

In comparison to the one I mentioned earlier for $230, which one would you advise buying?

My other option is HP Compaq Elite 8100/8200 i7. The seller didn't specify the model, but I assume that is similar to the first one. I'll check with them tomorrow. They're offering it with 4GB RAM, No HDD, GPU, nor OS for $130.

In comparison to the one I mentioned earlier for $230, which one would you advise buying?
Even if the 8300 is selling for $200 + it's still the best choice. Primarily because of the full compatibility and the superior performance of the I7 CPU which also has macOS compatible HD4000. It will have the longest usable lifetime of any of those choices. Pretty much every component is replaceable and at a very low cost. The case is made of high quality, thick steel. These were built to last a long time. 10 years from now you'll still be able to run something on it ! If the cost of the 8300 is still too high for you the Elite 8200 would be the next best choice. It will require a discrete graphics card as it will probably not have HD3000 graphics. Likely has the I7-2600. HP never put any of the K version CPUs into these. It will need a UEFI update to work fully with Sierra. The 8100 does not have UEFI and I haven't seen any specific guides for using that with Sierra so no idea if it even works very well. Avoid that one.

Last edited:
I purchased the BCM94360CD and PCI adapter and installed in my convertible mini tower. Plugged in the cable to Media 1 as shown. Wifi worked immediately on reboot but no bluetooth shows up in system preferences. Do I need to install something extra to get Bluetooth to work? I've tried both of the Media 1 ports.

These are the parts used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THN281U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF7K20S/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

For those who wish to add iMessage, Continuity, Handoff, etc. to an HP Elite 8300, you can purchase a BCM94360CS (BCM94360CD also works but has 4 antennas and the backplate won't fit in SFF models) with PCI-e adaptor and plug it in to the PCI-e x1 slot.
View attachment 217438
As you can see, these cards have an internal cable that carries Bluetooth data signals and are meant to be connected to internal USB 2 headers. On the Microtower and SFF Elite 8300s, we can use the headers marked as MEDIA and MEDIA2 (either one works) as seen in the following image:
View attachment 217439

On Convertible Minitower Elite 8300s, we can use the following headers (either will work):
View attachment 217445
Be sure to read the fantastic guide written by P1LGRIM on how to properly configure your system to get iMessage, Continuity, Handoff, etc. working: An iDiot's Guide To iMessage | tonymacx86.com

Last edited:
I purchased the BCM94360CD and PCI adapter and installed in my convertible mini tower. Plugged in the cable to Media 1 as shown. Wifi worked immediately on reboot but no bluetooth devices. Do I need to install something extra to get Bluetooth to work? I've tried both of the Media 1 ports.
Are you using iMac 13,2 or iMac 14,2 sysdef ?

Good 13,2 is what you want to use. How are you connecting the BT Cable ? I don't have one of these SFF 8300s, do they have a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back