Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Looks like a great deal if it is fully functional and the case is ok. A used I7-3770 costs more than you are paying for the whole HP PC. CMT stands for convertible mini-tower. For FCPX you'll need more than 8GB of ram. You'd also need a discrete graphics card. I would go with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and use the DP output to your monitor to get 4K at 60 Hz. What monitor do you have ?
Currently using LG 29um68 with Macbook Pro i7 Mid-2012 non-retina.
Ram is about $100 for 16GB, Do I Need more than 16GB? These will be ddr3, right?
GPU is about $135-$150. Does it matter if it's Gigabyte, EVGA, or other?
What about Wifi card?

I see this working out thanks to you. I may pull the trigger.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R FB 2.0
CPU
i7 950
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5770
HD4000 is natively supported in Sierra. When I installed on the 8300 USFF (10.12.4) I didn't make any changes to the ig-platform id and it worked immediately at a 1080p resolution via a DP to HDMI adapter.
I'm running El Capitan, maybe that's the difference.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R FB 2.0
CPU
i7 950
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Hi everyone!

I was planning to build a Hackintosh until I found this thread. Then, I found this on Craigslist.

Is this a good deal for "refurbished"? Do I need a GPU, or can I use iGPU? If I do need one, any recommendation?
Usage include 4K FCPX, and Adobe Suite. What does CMT stand for?

Any necessary upgrades besides SSD?

I'm trying to keep this on budget, If it will cost more than $500 with necessary upgrades might as well just drop in $200 more and build new. Don't you agree?

Thanks.
Sounds like a good deal if it's running and in good shape. This is slightly lower than they've been going on eBay lately.
Mine came with 4GB RAM - 2 mixed sticks, a Samsung 2GB and a Kingston 2GB. I mixed with 16GB of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E8Y5C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and my system reports 20GB RAM now.
The thing I'd watch out for is you have no idea of the history or reliability of the included drive so keep that in mind compared with the value of the data you put on it.
Mine came with a 500GB HD. I think I'll buy a Samsung EVO850 SSD and keep the 500GB on the side as an emergency boot/recovery drive.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi everyone!

I was planning to build a Hackintosh until I found this thread. Then, I found this on Craigslist.

Is this a good deal for "refurbished"? Do I need a GPU, or can I use iGPU? If I do need one, any recommendation?
Usage include 4K FCPX, and Adobe Suite. What does CMT stand for?

Any necessary upgrades besides SSD?

I'm trying to keep this on budget, If it will cost more than $500 with necessary upgrades might as well just drop in $200 more and build new. Don't you agree?

Thanks.
$125 is a fantastic deal. As others have stated, upgrade to more RAM and SSD.

See this thread for low profile, single slot video card solutions:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...file-gpu-for-a-kaby-lake-sierra-build.217105/

The Quadro cards mentioned on page 4 of that thread are nice because they have Mini DisplayPort. Using a true single slot card means that the adjacent PCI-e slot can be used for something else.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Currently using LG 29um68 with Macbook Pro i7 Mid-2012 non-retina.
Ram is about $100 for 16GB, Do I Need more than 16GB? These will be ddr3, right?
GPU is about $135-$150. Does it matter if it's Gigabyte, EVGA, or other?
What about Wifi card?
I would start with a 16 GB kit, it should be adequate. The latest MBP with that amount of ram has no problems with FCP. Some Pros need more than that but it should be enough for an average user. If you're constantly maxing out your ram, add a second identical kit of 16 GB. Could be the Crucial 1600 MHz DDR3 variety or the Kingston HyperX brand will work too. The 8GB kit that comes with it will likely work ok with the kit you buy. You'll have to test it out. I always try to stay with the same brand of ram in a system but it's not mandatory. When you disable the igfx and use a discrete graphics card that frees up 1.5GB of your system ram for the editing work so shouldn't be a problem.

Any brand of 1050 Ti should work. I've not seen any comments of a specific brand that doesn't. I generally choose EVGA or Gigabyte first but have used MSI and Asus cards with success in various builds. For wifi and BT get the Fenvi T919 with the BCM94360CD iMac card in it. Works natively.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Pro
Just adding my experience. Using an 8300 with the onboard HD4000 graphics, new install of Sierra 10.12.4 and the graphics worked without doing anything extra - have had it running 2560 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 (not at the same time, only one output) using a displayport > displayport cable.

Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Pro
Having just seen 10.12.5 is out, but this being my first hackintosh, would be grateful for any news if the 10.12.5 update on an 8300 goes smoothly (i.e. can just be done like a normal mac, via the App Store or the Combo updater).

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have not had time to update yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Having just seen 10.12.5 is out, but this being my first hackintosh, would be grateful for any news if the 10.12.5 update on an 8300 goes smoothly (i.e. can just be done like a normal mac, via the App Store or the Combo updater).
These 8300 systems are the most compatible (w/ macOS) pre-builts I've ever seen. I wouldn't worry about updating at all. If there is any problem it should be quite easy to fix. That being said, it's a good practice to make a CCC or Super Duper backup before proceeding with an OS update.

If there was a working ALC221 kext these would be the Golden Build of all the pre-built CustoMac systems. You can run literally anything on these, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, even Chrome OS has full hardware support on the Elite 8300s. You can download and try it here: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

Here's a detailed list of everything that is supported when you install their version of Chrome OS:
You can install it to an 8GB flash drive and boot from that first just to see how it goes without installing.
Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As I suspected, it was a price mistake and the seller is asking $200 now. I found another one which is probably a better option. Seller asking $230.

HP Elite E9280T Desktop PC

CPU: Intel i7-920, 2.66GHz (2.93 w/Intel Turbo Boost) Quad Core Processor with 8 Threads.

Motherboard: HP/Asus Truckee CPU 1 w/Intel X58 Chipset

Memory: 12GB RAM DDR3 (Triple Channel, Upgradeable to 24GB)

Storage: 2TB Hard Drive, 7200RPM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB, Dual DVI

Optical Drive(s): DVD-ROM

Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Power: Antec 500W 80+ BRONZE Power Supply
This seems like a ready to go set up for me. With upgrading to SSD, Wifi card, and more RAM later on.
My only issue is ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB, will I be able to use it? Is it any good or should I upgrade immediately? My preference is to use it temporarily until I find a deal on a better GPU.

Also, what do you think of SSD RAID0 set up? Should I go for it?
I've SSD RAID0 on my MBP Mid-2012 running very well.

Thanks.