Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Did a full reset. Got into the Monterey installer, things were going good but it hit another wall and the install won’t finish. Here’s my info log. Could it be the SN750 isn’t cooperating with the installer? Really have no idea at this point.

SN750 should be fine. I use one too.

I don't know what's the cause or fix for this... I suggest trying Clove EFI.

SN750 should be fine. I use one too.

I don't know what's the cause or fix for this... I suggest trying Clove EFI.
Yes, seems like time to go that route. Thanks for all the input trying to figure this out.

I came across a weird phenomenon when testing an updated Clover EFI.

After booting from Clover and then trying to boot from OpenCore will result in the following error:
IMG_3659.jpg

Here's the only way I found to fix it:
  1. Boot from Clover.
  2. Mount the EFI partition containing OpenCore.
  3. Open the OpenCore config.plist and disable config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel.
  4. Boot from OpenCore.
  5. At the OpenCore boot picker, Reset NVRAM.
  6. Boot normally. Everything should be back to normal now.
  7. Open the OpenCore config.plist and set config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel back to "Default".
Clover seems to do something to the NVRAM that conflicts with the way OpenCore uses NVRAM and only a reset seems to fix it.

Last edited:
I came across a weird phenomenon when testing an updated Clover EFI.

After booting from Clover and then trying to boot from OpenCore will result in the following error:
View attachment 545755

Here's the only way I found to fix it:
  1. Boot from Clover.
  2. Mount the EFI partition containing OpenCore.
  3. Open the OpenCore config.plist and disable config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel.
  4. Boot from OpenCore.
  5. At the OpenCore boot picker, Reset NVRAM.
  6. Boot normally. Everything should be back to normal now.
  7. Open the OpenCore config.plist and set config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel back to "Default".
Clover seems to do something to the NVRAM that conflicts with the way OpenCore uses NVRAM and only a reset seems to fix it.
Sounds like some sort of memory protection measure has been enabled on Clover and its stored values are incompatible with Opencore. Maybe worth posting it as a potential bug for the Clover devs to explore?

Sounds like some sort of memory protection measure has been enabled on Clover and its stored values are incompatible with Opencore. Maybe worth posting it as a potential bug for the Clover devs to explore?

I don't think it's a bug... I just think that both boot loaders are using the same location for different purposes.

Hi, @pastrychef! Thank you again for a great work! I'm using Mojave on ASUS Z370-G with R9 290 with old Clover EFI 5117. I decided to clean install Monterey and faced a problem with loading setup. On 5117 it hang on following step:
IMG_5111.JPG

I downloaded 5145 (46), changed in it SMBIOS settings and FakeID for R9 290. Setup hang with this:
IMG_5113.jpg

If I load into Mojave on 5145 with no-USB and wrong colors but Bluetooth connected to usb header works well
IMG_5110.JPG

I need you advice in which way should I go. )

Hi, @pastrychef! Thank you again for a great work! I'm using Mojave on ASUS Z370-G with R9 290 with old Clover EFI 5117. I decided to clean install Monterey and faced a problem with loading setup. On 5117 it hang on following step:View attachment 545947

I downloaded 5145 (46), changed in it SMBIOS settings and FakeID for R9 290. Setup hang with this:
View attachment 545948

If I load into Mojave on 5145 with no-USB and wrong colors but Bluetooth connected to usb header works well
View attachment 545949

I need you advice in which way should I go. )

Did you fix your USB? You should add your USB fix to the EFI.

Did you fix your USB? You should add your USB fix to the EFI.

I used your build because 5117 with no changes except FakeID for R9 290 works flawlessly out of box. But 5145 didn't.

I used your build because 5117 works flawlessly. But 5145 didn't.

The old USB patches don't work with newer versions of macOS. Fix USB or use the OpenCore EFI which has my USB port map in it.

The old USB patches don't work with newer versions of macOS. Fix USB or use the OpenCore EFI which has my USB port map in it.
Thanks! I supposed you latest Clover contains USB fix for modern macOS for your build. Am I wrong? Anyway, I will try to migrate to OpenCore.

Back