Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I thought so too. But everything works. Is there a reason for 15 ports? Could there be a problem?

It's a limitation set by Apple. Only they know why. Go beyond the 15 port limit and unexpected issues will eventually occur.

It's a limitation set by Apple. Only they know why. Go beyond the 15 port limit and unexpected issues will eventually occur.
My words. But they convince me otherwise.
But I tried and it works. But I'll be back at 15

Which is better to choose SMBIOS? Is iMacPro1.1 still relevant for the Z370 + 9900K?

There are no special steps required for updating kexts. Just navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and replace old versions with newer versions.

Hi again chef; after some more attempts I have found that the black screen on boot is still a fairly frequent issue. wondering if you can confirm for me that this is most likely still kext problem. Sometimes i get the boot logo, others not. The issue started when i upgraded to an ultrawide monitor. I suspect the nvidia drivers or OS aren't happy about that (none of these issues on windows).

Your previous suggestion was to update lilu and whatevergreen- done but no change. anything else i can try here?

Hi again chef; after some more attempts I have found that the black screen on boot is still a fairly frequent issue. wondering if you can confirm for me that this is most likely still kext problem. Sometimes i get the boot logo, others not. The issue started when i upgraded to an ultrawide monitor. I suspect the nvidia drivers or OS aren't happy about that (none of these issues on windows).

Your previous suggestion was to update lilu and whatevergreen- done but no change. anything else i can try here?

I really don't know. I've never tried using an ultra wide monitor and I got rid of all of my Nvidia cards almost 2.5 years ago.

Are you using DisplayPort? If yes, the only other thing I would suspect are the Nvidia drivers.

hmm i am using display port but my previous monitors didn't have this issue, one was connected to DP port via DP to HDMI cable, the other was just regular HDMI since my video card has 3xDP and 1xHDMI out. will try swapping to an HDMI and see what happens just in case.

Ive found some other forum posts with similar issues, but a range of suggested fixes. slowly working away at the list.

hmm i am using display port but my previous monitors didn't have this issue, one was connected to DP port via DP to HDMI cable, the other was just regular HDMI since my video card has 3xDP and 1xHDMI out. will try swapping to an HDMI and see what happens just in case.

Ive found some other forum posts with similar issues, but a range of suggested fixes. slowly working away at the list.

In my experience, DisplayPort works best with macOS. HDMI has always given me issues (more annoyances than deal breakers).

In my experience, DisplayPort works best with macOS. HDMI has always given me issues (more annoyances than deal breakers).

So although i sold my old monitors i do have a projector - the issue happens on HDMI and DP when going to the monitor, but the HDMI works fine when working with the lower resolution of 1024x768 on the projector. rebooted several times to be sure. Another thing worth pointing out is when the black screen happens, to avoid force rebooting, i remote in with my laptop and the aspect ratio / downscaled res is that of my ultrawide. it is as though the kexts and osx are working fine, but the nvidia drivers are struggling with the resolution :S

i should mention as well that when it does work (again about 30-50% of boots), it will then sometimes go dark on me after logging into osx. never while booting, always at login screen or right after login

Last edited:
So although i sold my old monitors i do have a projector - the issue happens on HDMI and DP when going to the monitor, but the HDMI works fine when working with the lower resolution of 1024x768 on the projector. rebooted several times to be sure. Another thing worth pointing out is when the black screen happens, to avoid force rebooting, i remote in with my laptop and the aspect ratio / downscaled res is that of my ultrawide. it is as though the kexts and osx are working fine, but the nvidia drivers are struggling with the resolution :S

i should mention as well that when it does work (again about 30-50% of boots), it will then sometimes go dark on me after logging into osx. never while booting, always at login screen or right after login

This sounds like the cable is inconsistent with delivering a sable signal.

Back