Contribute
Register

OSX Installation results in BIOS password, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU
2.6 GHz Quadcore
Graphics
GT9500 & GTX680 (2GB RAM)
I have a very old but very reliable hackintosh, that i am running for years. Some software i run needs minimum El Capitan so i decided to give the old horse one last update before retirement, installing Sierra (Updating from Mavericks).

The machine is a Gigabyte Ep45-UD3p with 8GB ram, a GT9500 and a GTX680. As i said, it ran everything it threw at it OSX wise very reliably and also the Sierra install process using Unibeast and then Multibeast worked like a charm.

There are some minor Sleep / Shutdown issues i wanted to debug so i tried to take a look at the BIOS, finding out it has a BIOS password set, something i never did and know for sure it didnt exist before installing Sierra. So, i am deducing, something in the install process resulted in a BIOS password being set... It's no biggie since i can probably reset the bios password with a jumper, the question WHY i suddenly have a BIOS password remains. The machine has never seen any kind of Windows or Linux installation in its lifetime, it always ran OSX, since it's possible in the Hackintosh world always using vanilla OSX images ... Anyone can enlighten me what happened there?

Thanks,
t.

Last edited:
@macx11, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Exact same issue. Entering BIOS requires me to type a password after installing and running Sierra 10.12.5 from a 16GB USB stick created by Unibeast. I never set a BIOS password on this system before, nor do I want to do so.

No such problems had surfaced when I installed Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan on the same system in the past.

Last edited:
The one common point between my system and that of the OP seems to be that our motherboards are using a traditional BIOS, not UEFI.

Is it possible that this issue only happens when installing Sierra (created from Unibeast) on a motherboard with traditional BIOS? For the people who are using UEFI motherboards, do you have this problem?

I will have to see later if I can remove the BIOS password by using the Reset BIOS jumper on the motherboard.

The one common point between my system and that of the OP seems to be that our motherboards are using a traditional BIOS, not UEFI.

Is it possible that this issue only happens when installing Sierra (created from Unibeast) on a motherboard with traditional BIOS? For the people who are using UEFI motherboards, do you have this problem?

I will have to see later if I can remove the BIOS password by using the Reset BIOS jumper on the motherboard.

BIOS password removed by using the Reset BIOS jumper. Still would like an explanation (and if possible a fix) as to why this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back