Contribute
Register

OS X doesn't boot after HWMonitor update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, RehabMan. What difference is there between your FakeSMC and kozlek's? One thing I noticed had to do with nvram. For example, with your version, there is no console message stating: nvram is unavailable.

Quick question, RehabMan. What difference is there between your FakeSMC and kozlek's? One thing I noticed had to do with nvram. For example, with your version, there is no console message stating: nvram is unavailable.

Recent commits to kozlek's version have implemented saving SMC keys to nvram. So far, at least when booting with Chameleon/Chimera (kozlek is using Clover) it is extremely unstable. I've been merging his changes in and testing and providing feedback/code appropriate for Chameleon, but have not pushed them to my repo because of the instability and the fact that the code related is still changing on a daily basis. His latest version, for example, disables nvram saving unless you use -fakesmc-use-nvram kernel flag.

Some other changes lately involve gathering temperatures from ACPI thermal zones. I have not tested this code to see what happens on the ProBook yet. In fact, I usually review all the changes he puts in, but have not had a chance yet to look at this new code in detail.

Other than that, the differences aren't huge. My version has some tweaks specifically for the ProBook and some changes in build settings (resulting in a smaller kext). There are also a few bug-fix/tweaks in my version not in kozlek's. For the ProBook, it is best to wait until I publish a version, because then you know that I found it reliable on my ProBook and my desktop. Otherwise, it is very easy to get a version directly from kozlek which does not work.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I, like kozlek, use Clover so I haven't seen the instability that occurs with the use of Chimera/Chameleon bootloader. I will also try the SMC flag to see the effects.

If you can boot your partition on the HDD with Unibeast, then you can install the previous build of FakeSMC: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek

Could you write it down how to boot my partition on the SSD with Unibeast, please? I'm not sure. What I did is I plugged in my Unibeast USB flash drive, powered on the ProBook, hit return to be able to select startup volume, and selected my USB flash drive.
Then the OS X installation screen comes up with the language choosing window first. I select English, hit return, then I'm on the OS X install screen. If I click continue, I have to agree the legal stuff, then it asks where to install OS X. I think it's not what you told me to do, to boot my partition with Unibeast.
So again, could you write it down how to boot my partition on the SSD with Unibeast as you said, please?

Could you write it down how to boot my partition on the SSD with Unibeast, please? I'm not sure. What I did is I plugged in my Unibeast USB flash drive, powered on the ProBook, hit return to be able to select startup volume, and selected my USB flash drive.
Then the OS X installation screen comes up with the language choosing window first.

Before then, you should have seen the Chimera boot selection screen. At which point you can choose to boot the OS X installer (on the USB) or your partition already installed on your HDD.

Before then, you should have seen the Chimera boot selection screen. At which point you can choose to boot the OS X installer (on the USB) or your partition already installed on your HDD.

Oh I see, got it, thanks. Unfortunately it can't boot either way, so I guess I have to clean install a new OS X :(
Anyway, thank you very much for the help, it's good to be a part of a community whose members try to help and care with each other. Have a nice day!

Oh I see, got it, thanks. Unfortunately it can't boot either way, so I guess I have to clean install a new OS X :(
Anyway, thank you very much for the help, it's good to be a part of a community whose members try to help and care with each other. Have a nice day!

You could install it manually:
- place the FakeSMC on your USB stick in a convenient directory (I'll use 'restore' in this example). You'll need another 'working' computer for this part.
- boot into OS X installer via Unibeast USB
- choose Utilities->Terminal
- copy via terminal FakeSMC to your HDD

Code:
cp -R /restore/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/<name-of-HDD-volume>/System/Library/Extensions
touch /Volumes/<name-of-HDD-volume/System/Library/Extensions

Hello RehabMan, i do the same, i installed HWMonitor.pkg with FakeSMC and now dont want to boot, it stai at apple logo.

I can enter with Unibeast but from where can i take the old FakeSMC ?

Thanks a lot.

Hello RehabMan, i do the same, i installed HWMonitor.pkg with FakeSMC and now dont want to boot, it stai at apple logo.

I can enter with Unibeast but from where can i take the old FakeSMC ?

Thanks a lot.

Read post #14.

Read post #14.

Hello RehabMan and thanks to bring the best help, i downloaded the latest file, i updated it, i touch it and now i have a panic error :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back