Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.2 Update

:!:Updated to 10.8.2 over appstore failed:!:

I have big graphic problems with my AMD Radeon 6870. Only white screen :cry:

First I also had a kernel panic but fixed it by removing the file (which someone told) in FakeSMC.

That worked so my hackintosh started loading the os. But after the text was gone I only saw a white screen.

I tried to plug my screen into different plugs but no luck :thumbdown:

Also with the flag GraphicsEnabler=No I only see white screen.

It really seems that apple did great changes on the graphic kext. :crazy:

Have to recover now from an backup. I will trie to install an clean mountain lion on another harddrive and install the update.

If anyone have an idea why it failed then please tell me :)

BIG SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST! :oops: I thought my post wasnt sent correctly. tonymac seems to be a bit overloaded

You are going to have to re-install the working ATI kexts from Lion to Mountain Lion using kextbeast. These are: ATI6000controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext in S/L/E. The update installed new drivers that do not work. How to do this: Three ways: First: Boot your Unibeast USB stick using -s flag and when you get stuck, try typing "exit" once or twice to see if that gets you to a screen where you can replace the kexts. Second: Remove your ATI video board and run a cheap supported card to get to your desktop. I use an Nvidia GT440 for this purpose. Then replace the kexts, re-install your ATI and good to go. Third is to boot your Unibeast USB with -s option which should work since it has the old Mountain Lion or Lion with your old kexts that were working. Re-install the update and before rebooting, update the kexts. When you are back at desktop, download the 10.8.2 combo update, install, do not reboot, update the ATI kexts again and run Multibeast and good to go

Missing Serial Number after 10.8.2 update. Serial Number is present in /Extra/smbios.plist, but when I open "About This Mac", the number is replaced by text "System Serial Number" Opening Hardware Overview for display shows same thing. Using Mac Pro 3,1.

I could not even get to single user mode by entering -x -s at the Chameleon Boot prompt. System tried to load then got stuck at "com.apple.driver AppleRTC failed to Load."

I rebooted using iBoot from the 10.8.0 USB install drive and tried to use terminal from the OSX installer utilities menu in order to find the offending kext, but I couldn't find it in System/Libarary/Extensions or any of the other paths detailed elsewhere in this post.

System is a Stock Dell Optiplex 790 3.09 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, GeForce 8400 GS 256 MB. Had to go back to 10.8.1. Not sure what to do now. I'll just wait and check the forum to see if anyone comes up with a similar problem and has found a solution.

Had the grey spinning at the Apple Logo on my Asus P77VPro system.

Didn't manage to find OEMsmbios.kext in my FakeSMC.kext. There isn't a PlugIns folder.
Anyway I used a rollback version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (available in the forums here) and it works fine afterwards :D
Will any mod please add this step in the 'Troubleshooting' section of the article.

Thank you.

The NVIDIA retail drivers released earlier this month are NOT COMPATIBLE with 10.8.2.

I was able to hack the installer to install on a clean 10.8.2 system but the end result was a black screen and only the ability to boot in safe mode.

Intel HD 4000 just works with maximum resolution. : (

If I try changing resolution it messes up the whole screen with lines and tiled images

Does somebody have the same issue?

Installed the 10.8.2 upgrade using the combo upgrade file on both of my machines tonight:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - Everything worked fine after running MultiBeast and rebooting.
HP ProBook 4530s - Everything worked but audio. Had to install AppleHDA.kext from post #831 in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/63348-hp-probook-installer-4-1b1.html

-bth

_________________________________________________________________________________
System 1: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH / Core i7-3770K / 16MB / Intel HD 4000 / OS X 10.8.2
System 2: HP ProBook 4530s (XU015UT)/ Core i3-2310M / 8MB / Intel HD 3000 / OS X 10.8.2

Have you tried changing resolution? It messes up the whole screen (I have intel HD 4000)

Had the grey spinning at the Apple Logo on my Asus P77VPro system.

Didn't manage to find OEMsmbios.kext in my FakeSMC.kext. There isn't a PlugIns folder.
Anyway I used a rollback version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (available in the forums here) and it works fine afterwards :D
Will any mod please add this step in the 'Troubleshooting' section of the article.

Thank you.

Is there a way to install that kext if you can't get to a command prompt? I can't boot single user after the combo or any other install of 10.8.2. I'd appreciate any and all ideas because it's a real pain to have had re-install 10.8.0 from the USB, then upgrade to 10.8.1 again.

To everyone with no boot and spinning wheel, reboot and select -v to see what is cause the halt/panic. I found also that it was the OEMSMbios.kext which the guide tells you to remove from the FakeSMC.kext bundle in the package contents plugins folder. After removing this it still would not boot with the same fault. When I re-checked with -v (verbose boot) it was the same kext playing up. I checked my main Extensions folder to find the OEMSMbios.kext had appeared in there also. Just delete and re-boot making sure the remember settings check box is un-ticked then all should be well except possible requirement to redo audio kext. Worth passing on as it bugged me for an hour!

Updated here with combo update, then installed the ALC889 with DSDT and all was good! Board is a Z68X-UD5-B3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back